Cambridge Audio 640C

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 587
So now that I have these really nice speakers (MA RS6) I've decided that I want a half-decent CDP to complement them.

I was at a local audioshop where the sales guy showed me the various options in my price range, and suggested the Cambridge Audio line. I did a listening test on the 640C and the next model down in the line (can't remember the model number). There was actually a noticeable difference in SQ quality between two. The 640C seemed to handle the piano better (more pronounced), cymbals were more precise and vocals seemed to have a bit more depth.

The thing I liked about the 640C is that it has dual DACs. Probably worth the extra 200 bucks.

So my question is, do any of you guys out there have one of these? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 49
Hey David(fellow CDN!), I have the exact same speakers as you. I had the RS1's and exchanged them for the RS6's, difference was huge for me. I just love floorstanders. Anyway I'm in the process of upgrading my source as well. I currently have a NAD C542 player which would be in the same price range as the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c, maybe a little more expensive but both budget players. The NAD C542 is a good player but I will be moving up the chain at twice the cost. I haven't heard the 640C but will be doing a home demo of the 840C(3x the price)and will let you know what I think. What is your budget for a player?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6072
Both Cambridge players are very good values...

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 588
Hi Darren,

My budget is around $700, give or take a bit.

I had my eye on the NAD C542 as well, but I get the impression the CA is better both SQ and build quality-wise.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 589
And how are things in the 'Peg? I was there a few years ago in the middle of Jan.

And I thought Ottawa was damned cold...

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 51
Hey David things were damn cold in the Peg this week, in the -40 to -45 range with the windchill. Never been to Ottawa but would like to visit some day. Now to the cd players, I would pick out a few cd players within your range and give them all a test run. CA makes a good product and gives great value. Also you could throw the Rotel CD-1072 into the mix, it gets high praise for it's quality and does HDCD decoding if that matters to you, although I have never personally heard it. If you could stretch a little bit then I'd say listen to the Arcam CD73T and the CA Azur 740c.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 590
When I was there I walked to Portage and Main, just to say that I'd been there (just like the song). I think it was around -40. I stood there for about 5 seconds.

The dealer I was at also carries Rotel CDP. I didn't have enough time to give those a listen. How would you say these compare to the CA's?

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 379
I am right now listening to a Rotel 1072 cdp. It sounds great to me on my humble budget set up. Rotel 1070 int amp and Quad 11L spkrs.

I have the Cambridge Azure 640C CD player in the bedroom, I have used it with 4 different amps and 3 different set of speakers and I have always found it musical and enjoyable...EXCEPT for quiet bedroom music.

As I have posted previously, it is noisy and not acceptable for that application. It is just that I want to keep the Rotel system together in the living room for synergy and the wife likes the looks of one matching system. It is good for higher volume, ie when the music is louder than the mechanical whirring of the Azure. It has been that way since I bought it new. I am far remote from the dealer so I chose to hope it would wear in but it has not quieted down. I
I would sell it cheap. It does not have excess wear because I have listened to 3 other cdp in the mean time, plus vinyl and FM. (Naim cdp, Rotel and Pionier cdr).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6099
Too bad about your Cambridge dealer being so far away. Sounds like a defective one which should be returned.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 380
Yes, I should have but I waited too long. Oh well, now I have an excuse to get an Apollo! But no hurry. Waiting for a bargain deal.
I may get a decent price for the Azure when the time comes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6103
I really love my Apollo. This is really a cd player that I never tire of...though my P5 is better.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 599
Was reading up on the CA 640C on audioreviews.com and it seems a significant number of people have had issues with this CDP (such as channels dropping out).

Then again, I've heard the same kind of complaints about NAD CDPs...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6110
Yep.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 382
Well the store where I bought my CA denies having above average problems with Cambridge but it is still their 3d favorite that they sell after Naim and Rega.
I feel that the sound of the Azure640C is a good value but feel that CA could have responded to my plight even though I failed to meet the deadline for return to dealer. They never responded to my request for help nor offered no suggestions. Maybe it is a simple fix and they would know that, but I got silence from them. Poor public relations. So now I am a Rega/Rotel guy.
btw, I do agree with that dealer that Naim is great. I had a Naim cdp that sounded the best that I have owned. I sold it just because it was hard to center the weight every time, and refused some cds. I do miss that clear sound.

Username: Amitg

Post Number: 3
Ive got both the 640c as well as the NAD 542. A bit tough to say which is better sounding but id think the 640c is slightly better with more rounded bass.

However the NAD is better put together. The 640c sometimes has a problem with the power supply making a buzzing sound when its in standby mode and the open/close button seems to have a mind of its own. The 542 is 6 months older but has never had any problems.

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 148
i have had my cambridge 640C v2 for about one year.run it through cambridge 540A v1 and PSB image B25 speakers.and use it quite a bit,and have never had one problem with it.
what type of noise makes it noisy? i am not sure i have ever heard it making noise,except in transport.i have listened to quite music.
anyway i am a cambridge fan and have enjoyed my experience as my first move up into audiophile world.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 721
I've had mine for about 5 weeks and I've never had any issues with mechanical noise coming from mine. The only issue I had was when I first got it home the tray wouldn't open. I had to gently persuade it open, and I've never had any trouble since then.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 473
So happy to have replaced my Cambridge Azure 640C. Apollo is now my main one and Rotel in the bedroom.

Anyone want to buy a used Azure 640C cheap?

The noise from the Azure is the sound of the disc spinning, like when you open a cheap boom box while it is turning. Mechanical noise, not electronic. What bothered me was that I could never get an answer or advice from Cambridge.
On their website there is a forum for problems where I got no help either. So simply due to their silence I am now converted to Rega and Rotel.
Just a few words from them could have made a loyal customer.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 730
Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with Cambridge, Kevin. I'm very happy with mine so far (knocking on wood...).

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 477
Thanks David. No breakdowns though, so I would call it reliable. It always worked fine.
Sounds good too.
It was my mistake to think that it would wear in and get quiet with age. I wanted to believe that because I hoped to not have to mail it away.
I think that if someone had bought it who used it in a higher volume setting would never have noticed. I did enjoy it for the loud music sometimes.
It was just that for the bedroom I need a quiet one. ECM and Windham Hill night music!

Silver Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 149
hello kevin.i am not being difficult but don't know what kind of noise you hear? i listen to a lot of minimalist classical and electronic music and hear no noise.my "rig" has been mentioned previously in this thread.
just not sure what kind of noise the CD player was making.could you explain?

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 173
My own experience in this price range ($600-$800) was it was better to spend the money on a quality DAC, if you have a cdp that will function as a transport. I had been using my NAD 541i as a cdp, but it is now on transport duty. The difference with my DAC in place was the biggest single upgrade I've made to my system.

You will need to factor in the extra cable, but with the right DAC the improvement can be profound, and keep you in the same price range.

Just another option to consider.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 478
mwf- "...don't know what kind of noise you hear?"

Just the disc spinning. You must have opened a boom box, cheap portable cdp and heard the spinning disc. Only difference is that you don't have to open the drawer to hear the disc whirring around, sort of like a regular scrape.

Silver Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 150
wow! i can't say that i have heard that with my unit.will listen to some really quite music with and without headphones and let you know what i discover

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 736
I'm listening to mine right now. I put my ear right up next to it and all I hear is a very faint whirring sound of the disc spinning. Perfectly acceptable to me.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 481
Great. I am glad that mine is the exception!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 740
Seems that yours was not the exception Kevin. If you take a look at some of the reviews of it on AudioReview.com, there's a bunch of people with issues:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digital-sources/cd-players/cambridge-audio/PRD_29 9480_1586crx.aspx

Silver Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 151
regarding the noise from the cambridge AZUR 640C v2.you mean the sound of the disc spinning when you put you ear right up to the transport area! jeez! you can't hear that unless your ear is right against it,and with music on not at all.
talk about nit picking!!!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 490
I am talking about 640C v1 and the noise you hear while laying in bed at night that is exactly the same level as the music. The only solution is to play the music louder than the noise which means daytime only.

Silver Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 152
well maybe the V1 made a louder noise.because the noise on my unit is not noticeable with music even at minimal volume

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 491
Reading through David Mitchel's link above I noticed that many people had no problem. I did not take the time to count the % but it does look like a minority.
Then when you look at those with problems, dependability seems to be the main complaint. Mine works dependably.

Those with complaints of noise are only a few. Maybe 2 or 3 only. I did not add mine since I have posted it enough.
Also I did not pay attention to which version the problem ones were.

At this point I am past CA. Last step to sell it or give it away.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9914
Send it to me, KC,I will offer an opinion, hehehe.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 494
OK, it's on the way ;)

Username: Datdere

Post Number: 1
I know it's an old post, but I wanted to mention that I too had issues with transport noise from my Cambridge Azur 640C v1 cd player. It varied from disc to disc, but it was generally loud enough that I had to stack pillows in front and on top of the unit to avoid being disturbed by it (from 10+ feet away). It would also occasionally make an intense grating sound if you didn't power it down just right. I am happy to be rid of it.

Too bad really, as it sounded excellent otherwise. How about the v2? Anyone experiencing transport noise issues? I'm curious, but worried that it is the same player from a mechanical point of view and would therefore have the same problems.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1760
My v2 has no issues whatsoever.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 630
I did give the CA cdp away, to a nephew who will use it for loud music. Sorry Nuck.

My Rotel 1072 is not really silent, but quieter than the CA.

Love the Apollo!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1761
That's too bad that so many people have had bad experiences with CA CDPs. I've had mine for almost a year now and have never had so much as a glitch with it (knocking on my wooden head). Not to say that I wouldn't be adverse to trying something else, but I'm very happy with mine.

Not really sure, but I don't know of many other CDPs in this price range that use dual DACs. Am I wrong?

Bronze Member
Username: The_mofo

Post Number: 25
Rotel 1072. Unbeatable for the money.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11233
I use the 1072 for lively and jumpin' music, Will, but another source for more earthy pieces.
The 1072 is my choice for RnR.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2143
The 1072 is definitely a good cd player. My favorite piece of the Rotel line.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1771
I came really close to buying one of these awhile back. I'm pretty happy with my 640 though.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 631
I also liked the music from the CA. Strangely, the Rotel makes the same 'whirring' sound but much lower level. On the other hand, my cheap Pioneer cdp and the Apollo are both mechanically dead silent.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 632
Oops, make that a Pioneer CDR.

Username: Datdere

Post Number: 2
Since selling the 640C, I have been making due with a lame DVD player. It's ok, but the music is not involving anymore. It doesn't grab me; it just sits 'over there' playing. So I have finally had enough and decided I needed to put a decent digital source back into my system.

Having owned both the Cambridge 640C V1 and the NAD C542, I decided on another NAD. Several sites right now have the C542 for $299, so the price was right. And mine was dead silent with no quality issues. I know NAD is not absolute top quality either, but to me they seem better built than the Cambridge units (except for the remote).

I originally sold the first NAD in favor of the Cambridge, but later missed it due to the problems the Cambridge had as well as missing the gutsy, dynamic sound of the NAD. I also have several HDCD discs which sounded spectacular on the NAD. The Cambridge sounded good (transport noise notwithstanding), but somewhat more 'polite,' which I found to be too subdued for my listening tastes and system.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 341
Rega Apollo might be something to demo...they are engaging and of very good quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us