No bass (using preamp) - Technics SL-D202

Username: Roquetin

Post Number: 1
I'm using a Technics SL-D202 turntable hooked up to a TCC TC-400 preamp. From the preamp, I have it hooked into the line-in jack on my sound card. However, when playing, I get little to no bass. My speakers are logitech x-540's, and even when I turn the bass knob to the highest setting, I get a meager amount of bass. Any suggestions on what to do?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12082

Post this in the "computer audio" section of the forum.

Post Number: 2
I was going to, until I realized I had the same problem even when I directly hooked up my turntable to my speakers (they have a amplifier/volume control built in). I don't know where to localize the problem: the speakers, the turntable, or the preamp. Should I cross-post this?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12085

I don't know what a "TCC TC-400 preamp" is but it sounds like you still don't have a phono pre amp with RIAA equalization. Please provide a link to your pre amp.

Post Number: 3
Here is the link to my preamp: http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc400gleb.html

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12091

Offhand I'd tell you to buy a better phono pre amp. $29 ain't much if you want decent sound. However, before you spend any more money, you should make certain the phono pre amp is working as expected. If you or a friend have a stand alone audio system, run this table and pre amp through it to check for sound quality. If what you list above is your only audio equipment, I'd call a few audio shops and ask if you could bring this set up in to check performance. A cartridge is not frequency selective. If the stylus is intact, the cartridge should be producing some amount of bass repsonse. Rule out the phono pre amp by checking with another system and that only leaves the soundcard.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us