Denon AVR-787

Username: Gregs69rs

Winston Salem, NC

Post Number: 5
The local Circuit City has a clearance sale on this unit for $319. Isn't that a steal? I haven't researched this one much but I think they usually go for $499??

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12009

It's not worth $319 if you don't like it.

So, do you like it?

Winston Salem, NC

Post Number: 6
That's part of the problem...the only Denon they have set up in the sound room is the $1100 version. It sounds unbelievable but I can't evaluate the lower end model based on that.

I have some more research to do to find a local dealer for Denon that will have one that I can actually listen to.

I have been amazed and frustrated at how FEW places there are around here to actually listen to receivers, speakers etc. My only option really is to rely on their return policy. I have to buy the unit and take it home to hear it. If I don't like it, return it. Ultimately hearing it in your own home is the best way to evaluate it, it just gets old unpacking and re-packing these things.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12016

Tell that to the guys at the store who repack what you bring back. If you rely on a return policy, how do you know you're not getting something someone else returned?

Winston Salem, NC

Post Number: 7
Jan, I am not sure I understand what you mean. If I take it back to the store the guys obviousely know it is now an "open box return" and handle it accordingly. They will ask if anything is wrong with the product and I tell them. When they put it back on the floor they clearly mark it as an undamaged return. I have done this with a grand total of 1 receiver, the Yamaha mentioned in the other post. Once I got it set up I played for about 30 minutes total. I know mine was not used becasue it was not marked as an open box return.

Yesterday I went to the local home theater guy. I bought some stuff from him 10 years ago and the service was outstanding. For some reason I just kind of forgot about him this time around. He spent an hour and a half with me, and he had another customer waiting! We went through everything and based on that conversation, I ended up with an Onkyo TX-SR575. I only had about half an hour to play with it last night but so far I am well pleased. Thanks for all of your help!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 998
Greg, good buy. To my ears, the Onkyo stuff sounds much nicer than the Denon products.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us