The newbie finally breaks through...

Username: Dazednconfused

Post Number: 1
So after some research, i went ahead and bought an Onkyo TX-SR605 instead of the Denon 2808, since I want to use the price difference to buy better speakers. So my question is which floor speakers are great with this receiver (my budget is around $600- $700)- i've searched forums and found a bunch of things from fluances to hsu subs.. too overwhelming to read everything!!! I was looking at the Polk Audio Rti10 or RTi8- but want other suggestions too.

And also, how do i get a store to allow me to "audition" speakers?

Thanks in advance,

Dazed

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11987

"i've searched forums and found a bunch of things from fluances to hsu subs.. too overwhelming to read everything!!! I was looking at the Polk Audio Rti10 or RTi8- but want other suggestions too."

Uh, ... you don't want to read but you want suggestions?

"And also, how do i get a store to allow me to "audition" speakers?"

You hand them your credit card if you want to take the speakers home. Otherwise, you should just have to ask.

Post Number: 2
sorry, let me clarify. I did a search on this forum for speakers, and read about fluances, vandersteens, monitors, paradigm, etc but in those posts people were running an A/V receiver pushing well over 110 watts per channel. My receiver only pushes 90 per channel, so i wanted to know what would be ideal for my situation- something i looked at was polk audio, monitor's, etc. I wanted to know what people have recommended in the past with my onkyo...

In regards to auditioning, i went to sound advice and told them i wanted to audition some speakers and they told me there is no such thing. I thought it might have been just sound advice so i went to some local stores and they said the same thing. So are there specific stores that I can audition from?

thanks!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11991

If two receivers are identical in every other way, there should be no difference in sound quality between a 90 and a 110 watt amplifier.

I can't tell you what the poliies are at any particular shop. If they will not let you take a demo pair home for an overnight audition, then I would ask what their return policy is. If they wish to open a new pair of speakers and then have to dicsount that pair should you return them, that's their business. If that's the way they do business, I would make sure anything I bought from them was in a factory sealed box and not a repack. I think I might ask them to unbox whatever I bought in the store to make certain what they were selling me was factory sealed and in perfect shape so there would be no question about condition when you return the item.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jan.

Can anyone recommend a set of floor speakers or what speakers have people in the past bought for an onkyo tx-sr605?

Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 511
Jan, you drinkin? The advise is spot on, but, I dont think I've seen you misspell so many words!
Is it you? I kid of course.
To Sagar, Yes, a friend of mine just bought some NHT Classic two's, with the same reciever, and is very happy. I am actually very happy also every time I visit. Great presentation, full of depth, clarity, and presence, you may like alot.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 512
One more thing, with your budget, you could get into the classic three's. Plus many more. But, you were asking about the specific reciever which my friend does have and uses with the two's.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 513
And, their not floor speakers, a small sub could be added later.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 514
I'll walk away now.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 515
Dave, you drinkin?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11994

I hope you brought enough for everyone, Mr. Pannell.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 519
I did Jan, I did!
Little groggy this AM though!

Post Number: 4
Thanks!!! Is there a place online to get them cheap?

Sag

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5906
You will not get the best from NHT's with an Onkyo AVR. They are a speaker that require a very good amp to sound their best. I have a friend who is a dealer and his Marantz and NAD AVR's don't get the best from them, it wasn't until he used a very good integrated that he realized how good a speaker they are. I've owned NHT's in the [ast and would concur with those findings. Try PSB or Paradigm as they are efficient and don't require as much current to sound right.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12004

"Jan, you drinkin? The advise is spot on, but, I dont think I've seen you misspell so many words!"

Actually, I jammed one of my fingers the other day and I was down to typing with three. The finger is betetetr now and I thnikn thiss willl be ebettereterr.

Post Number: 5
thanks! any particular paradigm series?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5907
Actually I would look at PSB first then Paradigm...if Paradigm, the best you can afford and keep in mind some of the Monitor series models are pretty poor. Be sure to listen...Monitor Audio also makes a fine speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1048
I will also concur with Art. The only model in the Monitor series that I think is worth anything is the Atom.

The new Atom is a much better speaker than the old one ever was (I own the old one, my mother now has it).

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12010

You gave your mother something less than the best?!

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1050
lol...

it was that or my Bose Acoustimass (she likes the size, admits the Paradigms are much better).

She isn't as astute a listener as I, and is perfectly happy with the atoms.

FWIW, I remember many a night listening to those speakers instead of the maggies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us