Dynavector dealer in Sydney ?

Username: Horst_t

Post Number: 1
Hi,
my name is Horst and I am from Germany, near Cologne.
I am looking for a Dynavector Phono Pre P75 MKII or P75 to replace my NAIM stageline.
The pre should be on stock so that my daughter can purchase it in Sydney next week Tuesday .

Do you have any contacts /tel./ mail ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Horst

The Dynavector P75 should work with a Thorens TD125MK II, Sony PUA 1500 12" tonearm, a Shelter 501MKII connected with a Naim NAC 202.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2626
Horst

I'm in the UK so can't help you on the Sydney front. Have you checked Dynavector's website at http://www.dynavector.co.jp ?

The P75MkII is substantially better than the MkI. Note that this is only true when the MkII is left switched on all the time. When it's cold it is actually very lacklustre, but when it's warm (at least a day up and running) it's very good.

Obviously you will need an interconnect as well, since the Stageline has its own. The Naim HiLine is very expensive at £525 so I suspect this is beyond your budget. Naim can also supply the standard Naim interconnect in 2-phono to DIN configuration. this would work well. Otherwise I would recommend a Chord interconnect, such as Crimson or Cobra3 in the appropriate configuration. Remember, the DIN connections always sound better on the Naim amps.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Mattk

Post Number: 1
Hi Frank,

I'd appreciate your view on the P75MkII vs the Stageline. I've currently got a Stageline with my Supernait, but would appreciate the flexibility of the Dynavector when using different carts.
Thanks in advance, Matt

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2912
Matt,

I've borrowed the P75MkII and lived with it for a few weeks. My experience is that, contrary to what Dynavector will tell you, when it's cold it really doesn't have much get-up-and-go. This is far worse than the original which went all out guns blazing from the get-go. Once the MkII is warm (i.e up and running for at least 6-8 hours), it opens up and starts timing reasonably well. This is not a device to switch on when you want to listen to music - just like Naim's own electronics.

It's heaploads better than a Stageline in my view. There are certain swing elements about the Stageline which are very convincing, but overall the P75 is just better sorted and it shows, but not when cold when it is decidedly lacking in any life.

Needless to say, all this depends on the source you're feeding these elements. It needs to be somethig pretty good to really be worthwhile. If you're down at Rega P3/Pro-Ject eXpression or RMP4 level, I would question the whole point of buying a P75. You really should be in P7/Gyro/LP12 land to warrant the upgrade. Those decks will really make an appropriately matched MM cartridge sound pretty good into a Stageline and certainly better than a P3 fitted with an MC into a P75.

Match sympathetically, otherwise you'll quickly find yourself on an upgrade slope...

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Mattk

Post Number: 2
Hi Frank,

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I'm running an LP12, with Ittok and an Ortofon MC20 Super. The cart is on it's last legs and I'm looking at MC options - probably a Dynavector.

I can't seem to eliminate the hum on the stageline which really bugs me. I'm using the K version of the stageline, which whilst MC is for Linn carts.

Since the last post, I've picked up a used P75 at a bargain price and will try this out against the stageline. I'll then decide which one has a permanent home.

Any advice on cartridges? I'm in the Dynavector D17 price bracked.

Cheers, Matt

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2965
Matt,

Aha! that is a fine turntable indeed. You should notice significant benefits from the P75. I never particularly liked the MCX0 series from ortofon. Relatively good tonality but lacking in timing somehow.

I am a big fan of the 17D3. In my view it's their best value for money cartridge. Many people complain that it has too lean a bass presentation. In my view this is less a problem nowadays. The D3 has far more slam and depth than the D2 had and also the D3 times far better, making this cartridge very difficult to beat in its price range. If you go for one or any Dynavector, use the P75 in DrT mode for best results.

Alternatives would be Ortofon's Kontrapunkt A or B. The B is far superior provided you use significant amounts of anti-skate, far more than you'd expect normally. Then it sings. If you don't do this, it sounds like a nail!

Not sure what else to think of.

regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2779
If it's in the same price point, Lyra Dorian cartridge?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2967
I haven't heard a Lyra in some years now. They're good quality cartridges although I used to feel they were a little clinical for my taste. They have a lot of loyal fans however, so well worth considering if you can get to hear one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us