B&W 803D and Amplifier

Username: Turner73

Post Number: 2
Hia all.

I have 803Ds (blew my wad on those ;)= My amp is a NADS200 amp and a S100 pre amp. Now here comes my problem, I like both stereo (music), but also love home cinema. I use the following hook-up.
For stereo i use my S100 and S200 and my denon 3910. For cinema I use a denon 4306 preout through the s100 to the s200 (driving the 803s), a NAD216 mono driving my center, and the 4306 driving the back.
I tried to hook pre-out 4306 to the S200 (using the unbalanced) but with the balanced hooked up too that didnt work.

I would love to have a simple set-up with e.g. monoblocks for everything etc, but i cant afford that. I need some advice for a new system set up.
Ive been considering a sunfire cinema grand amp and just using that, what do you think? I dont know if my S200 is a good match for my new 803Ds...
What about going pure Class D?

Thanks.

//Tony

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 926
If u would like to get the S200 off your hands I would more than happy to hear a price on it.lol. I wish NAD still had the silver series line. IMO it is their best stuff to date.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11942

Class D is not a viable option for the 803's IMO. I would suggest you begin with a new pre amp/processor that allows for a HT bypass. Check the Outlaw products for something that might fit the bill.

Silver Member

Post Number: 930
That sucks that Class D does not fit the 803's. IMO Going from the Silver line to Outlaw would be downgrading, but may suit the 803's better like Jan said.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2371
Nick -

The S series wasn't made nor designed by NAD. It was rebadged Gryphon gear. Much the same as the NAD turntables are rebadged Rega tables.

Silver Member

Post Number: 931
Cool- I did not know that Stu. Thanks. Probably why it was their best stuff.lol. Is anything made by NAD these days??? It has seemed that a lot of "entry" level audiophile hi fi companies just rebadge everyone elses products. Pity.

Post Number: 3
Jan, you suggested the outlaw, a question, did you mean the preamp with HT cross func? I was on their page but cant read out anything like that.

BTW, what do you think about sunfire?

//T

Silver Member

Post Number: 932
Stu- did NAD change the whole case? I can't find anything Gryphon has ever made that resembles the S-Series.

Silver Member

Post Number: 933
Appears that they made stuff for numerous audio companies, including Bel Canto.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11946

The post probably should have read as, "I would suggest you begin with a new pre amp/processor that allows for a HT bypass; or check the Outlaw products for something that might fit the bill."

You seem to have a complete jumble of cables and connections that don't make much sense. The Outlaw pre amp/processors offer good two channel performance that is difficult to beat in a similarly priced AV receiver. Use one as the heart of a two channel/HT system that is simple to operate and offers very good to excellent performance with one simple to operate remote.

Begin with the NAD amplifiers as the front of the system and begin to build from there. IMO you'll be a lot closer to a good system with that arrangement that trying to cobble together more cables and interconencts with the assorted stuff you now have. If the Sunfire is where you want to end up, you can get there with the Outlaw processor at the front of the system. Otherwise, you're just adding to the jumble by sticking the amp in with the multiple receivers/processors, etc. and speakers that outlclass the rest of the system.

You haven't said anything about source material. The B&W's will show all the warts in a system and a cheapo CD/DVD player will sound like a cheapo player through your current system(s). In my opinion, the 803's are an end point and not where you begin upgrading.

From what you've posted, I'm not even sure what you want or think you want. If a simple system is all you want then you need a plan. If better sound is what you want, then you ned a plan. If you think class D is what you want because you're read class D gets high power for cheap dollars, you need a plan.

In short, you need a plan that you don't seem to have a clue how to get right now.

Fix what's wrong with the front of the system before buying a speaker that simply shows you what's wrong with the front of the system. Personally, I don't think the Sunfire or the NAD is a good match to the 803's. That's my opinion and not someone else's. I'd triple the price of the Sunfire and then begin looking again but I'm not the one spending the money. You just seem to be buying from the wrong end with no clear plan in mind. That's the best way to waste money. I know you don't want to hear my opinion when it's not complimentary but you shouldn't blow your wad on one upgrade - even with a plan. Any upgrade that is made without a plan for the future other than acquire "something" will necessitate another upgrade and then another and then another.

If you're dealing with a reputable dealer, they did you no favors with your current upgrade. Maybe it wasn't their fault and maybe they should have made an opinion more vocal. But I think they've put you in a position where you'll be spending more money in the near future. If you don't get with a dealer who has your best interests in mind, you'll just keep spending money. This forum can provide some minor guidance but you need to be dealing with a good shop in order to get the most bang for buck upgrade at this point. There are too many opposing opinions that have nothing to do with what you want coming from this side of the forum. Too many opinions works out to be worse than no plan. Find a dealer who'll sit and listen to you and ask questions before they demonstrate any equipment. Work out a plan you can live with.

Post Number: 4
Jan,

Thanks for your input. I will start making a plan! I am off to a AV dealer in a couple of days, to start there. Just FYI, i have a denon 3910 DVD as the source, but i also use a HTPC a lot. Why I choose the denon 4306 reciever is that it handles a lot of hdmi in an out. Then i was not satisfied with the 2 channel through that so i bought a S100 and S200 and run ONLY that for 2 channel. A huge improvement over running through the denon reciever.

BR

Tony
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us