Logitech Z680 vs Creative Megaworks 550

Chiraag
Unregistered guest
I have heard very good reviews about both these speaker systems. I don't own a pair of either as of right now. I have my decision as in which one to buy, but i just wanted opinions from other users of the Z680's and Megaworks 550.
Both these speakers are absolutely amazing according to any reviews, especially TomsHardware.com. But both these speakers apparently also have existing problems which neither company has really solved.
Logitech Z680's as I have heard from everywhere have a hissing problem from the center channel, which can get very loud and annoying, but it seems that this is at random. If someone could tell me, is this more prominent on analog connections, or does this happen regardless of the connection (manufacturing defect). Secondly logitech has come out saying that the second version of the control pod fixes the hiss, is this true?
The Megaworks 550 apparently have better sound quality, but the Z680 produce better bass, and I am a Trance/Techno listener so for me the Z680's probably would be better. The problem with Megaworks 550 as I have read is their frequently blowing amps/sub. This could be because of insufficient burn in time by most people.
I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 (therefore only analog connections). I am no big time audiophile, but can make out good speakers from bad. I am very confused as to which set to buy from these two, and unfortunately no store around me has either of these speakers. The price difference is about $35, logitechs are more expensive. I am more bent towards the logitech's, but I am very scared of the hissing problem. If someone could help me make a decision by providing their inputs, I would greatly appreciate.
Also which sound card would be the best especially considering price. I have heard philips makes good sound cards.
Thanx
Chiraag

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 206
The Logitechs have a DD/DTS/PL2 decoder, so if you'll later want to play DVDs it'll be a better choice. For the 550 you must buy a separate decoder, like the DDTS-100 wich costs around $120.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us