Paradigm: new Monitor 5 or used Monitor 7?

Schilkeman
Unregistered guest
If pricing is about the same, what would you recommend?

I mainly listen to jazz and live in a small-ish apartment in the city. Currently have an old Carver amp and Allison Six (cube) speakers which have served well since '82 or so.

I've never been bit by the audiophile bug, but as a musician I'm interested in accurate sound... and I'm finally curious as to what a better system might do for my listening enjoyment.

So... with a planned purchase of a NAD amp and CD player, would you recommend the Monitor 5 (new) or the 7 (used)? Or anything else in the $450-or-so price range?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've just found this forum and it's great!

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 102
I had the Allison CD8's!!! Just classic speakers. The New Paradigm Monitor 5 v3 is a fine speaker. The current v3 model differs from V2 in that the new unit has Paradigms newest bass tuned driver - a carbon fiber type material instead of the same driver used for the mid-range RE-Tuned to handle bass frequencies. If you get a model 7, it's likely to be the v2, which is still a fine speaker, but it will be used, a generation old, have no warranty, subject to the previous owners undisclosed treatment and such. Typically, the Monitor 5 and 7 have had the same driver compliment, but cabinet sizes differ and a rear port on the 5, front port on the 7. If you get the new Monitor 5, be sure and get some upgraded cables, the transformation is most welcome. The Monitor 5 will suit all types of music.

Schilkeman
Unregistered guest
Chicobiker,

I didn't know about the different versions -- thanks! That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Schilkeman
Unregistered guest
Oh, another question:

Any recommendations for Paradigm dealers with the best prices &/or exceptional service? I'm on the east coast (NYC).

Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 104
Paradigm forbids internet sales and has a fairly stuctured price/sale profit guarantee arrangement with its dealers. You'll have to call around for prices or check ebay or audiogon.com.
I purchased Paradigms (after DESPISING them for a while) at a local shop that allows 100% trade-ups, if you return trade-in pair in MINT condition. My TITANS were 2 mos old.
So one day while being quite ANGRY over my underperforming TITANS (purchased impetuously) I traded up to FOCUS - which are a HELL of a deal for $320. On another visit I re-auditioned the Monitor 5's at length with my own cables, some "acid-test" CD's I use and was totally pleased with the sonic performance ESPECIALLY at $500ish. I'll get the Monitor 5's this summer. Note that The Absolute Sound has the Monitor 5 v2 as a Best Speaker Under $1000.
In my at length audition of the new v3 I did not observe any of the minor negative features the article author describes with the V2. But it is true in the V3, the top end is open, clear, revealing, tonally accurate, lively and well detailed. Mostly on account of the titanium tweeter. A perfect match for the smooth and refined sound of my NAD system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us