Advice, suggestions? Sony STR-DE885

Dave Stickney
I just purchased a Sony STR-DE885 from CC on sale. This is my first Surround receiver. I was just wondering if anyone had any good/bad things to say about it. I can still return it. lol

I have not installed it yet, probably tonight. I have a DTV, DVD, VCR, CD, PS2 too hook up.

Had a question about the ps2 rca connector. I have an adapter that goes from RCA to S-Video (came with my GForce card), will that actually work to improve the video quality?

Thanks,
Dave

Ok Dave, you have just made a REALLY BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! You bought a Sony receiver. Please take that back!!!! All of Sony's Receivers SUCK BIG TIME!!!! Dude, what you need to get is one of the following brands: Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Or H/K. Check with all of these brands that are in the same price range as the Sony. Bottom Line, if you were to get any of these brands, you would not be dissaponted! Also make sure you have a lot of inputs and outputs for your other componets, a lot of power, low distortion rates, does all of the new formats like Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, DTS Neo:6 and Dolby Pro Logic II. And as far as that rca to s-video connector, I don't think that will improve the picture. Instead go to Best Buy and buy the monster cable s-video for the PS2 called Monster Gaming 400.

LaRon
I agree with S.J.. However I find that most people that are not familiar about Home audio love sony (and Bose for that matter). So really you won't be that dissaponted. One of the things I don't like about the Sony is that the digital input for the DVD is Digital coax, and as far as I know there is no way to switch that other than plug the DVD into the optical input for Video 2, CD, or Md (or something) because with sony unlike Yamaha and Others, you can not change the lables in the Receivers. That maybe just a little deal but you DO want to use optical instead of Coax because there is no electical feed back. If you do not care about that though, the you don't care enough to care about the poor thd% (the real one not the .7% that is on the box)or the weak amp (100 watt per chanel indeed) but hey who are we to judge. Oh and about RCA to S-Video, well the whole reason for the s-video is because of the separation of the video signals, if you already put them together in the RCA then it makes no sence to separate afterwared.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us