New amp fro Kef 101

Username: Jl2002

Qubec, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 3
Although, I use the amp section of this forum, I am looking to know what is the sensibility of my speakers (Key 101). I am looking for a new amplifier, and each time, I am being asked what is the sensibility of my speakers.
The instruction manuel (4 pages !) of Kef tells that sensibility level is 81 db at 1 m for 1 w. and the maximum output is 98 db.
Everyone seems very surprised at that information and ask me to check again. Because it seems very very low and few amp will be able to drive them.
I presently use them with a Denon PMA 630 rated 60w/chanel and the very maximum I put the volume is 1/3 of theorical capacity. Most ofter 1/5. Any misinterpretation from my part with that info ?

thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9517
Yep, JL.
If these speakers are really 81db efficient(sic) then they are among the very quitest that I know of.
If you can power them with a 60w Denon that is maybe 45w, then you end up with like 90 db or something, which will be drowned out by 4 party conversation.
The numbers don't lie, a doubling of power should result in an increase of 3db in room, which is discernable to very few people.
The numbers don't jive, but JL, we don't listen to numbers.
If it works for you, that is all that really matters.

Qubec, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the answer. Actually I do not care too much about the numbers, but the sellers does...
And they put a doubt in my head about if an amp will works or not with my speakers that are pretty old but good to me.
By the way I am more looking with second hand amp that, most of the time are 50w/chanel or less.
Unless I bring the spekers with me for a listening try, I do not want do purchase something that could not be use.
thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5825
Nuck parties in a different crowd than I do. 90db is more volume than I ever use. Those Kef are a very nice speaker...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11904

The KEF 101(A) is KEF's own version of the LS3/5a. A sealed enclosure with a B110 midwoffer for the low frequencies, the 101 is indeed 81-82dB @ 1 watt input. It is a very good speaker though it has limitations in macro scale dynamic range, extreme low frequency response and ultimate SPL. None the less, the speaker is still a contender in what it does right and possesses a midrange purity few contempoaray speakers can approach. It's crossover is less complex than the BBC version of the 3/5a which makes it a fairly safe (benign) eight Ohm load for an amplifier so high current is not a requirement for the 101.

Either the 3/5a or the 101 can be driven by a 25 watt amplifier but both benefit from a decent to excellent 50-100 watt unit. The quality of the amplifier is far more important than the size of the amplifier. Pairing the 101 with a good powered subwoofer will make a substantial difference in the overall quality of your system.

It's too bad you don't have salespeople with a sense of the history of audio. The relationship between KEF and the LS3/5a should be well known to any respectable audio salesperson and the 101 fits neatly in that story. Given the physical size of the 101's I would suggest you take them with you for auditions and supply your own music in case the salesperson thinks you'll like the music they like. The 101's are far from what most speakers today attempt and you'll get a much better idea of what the amplifier can do with your speakers and possibly surprise a few salespeople along the way.

Qubec, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 5
Thanks for your input. It help me a lot. This is why I have decided to use that forum. Several individual can give me, without interest, their piece of mind.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4778
Interesting. I was hoping Jan would contribute.

Those are great speakers, M. Lalonde. Yes, it is a shame that the dealers do not know the whole story.

KEF keeps details of all the models it ever made. For the 101;-

http://www.kef.com/history/1970/model101.asp

In the 1970s, 40 W per channel was considered powerful, and 100 W per channel more than anyone needed in the home. I think a 60 W per channel Denon could be a good match.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us