Fix for NAD cutting off 1st fraction of a second?

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 32
I read about(on this board) and have experinced the cutting off of the first fraction of a second of a CD track by an NAD receiver. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

This is not a big problem but it is noticable on some CD's.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 193
Have you tried both digital and analog connection?

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 33
I have both digital (optical) and analog (6 channel) inputs connected. I have been using the analog connections for only the SACDs. For DVDs and CDs I have been using the digial connection. Should I be doing something different?

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Try playing CDs through the analog connection (the 5.1 or a 2-channel input).

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 34
You are a genius.
I tried it both ways. When I play it through the digital input(DVD), the first fraction of a section is cut off.
When I play through the digital input (7.1 External), its all there - nothing is cut off.

Thanks again for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
No problem. Do you find the quality to be the same with digital and analog?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 109
Micheal,

landroval is correct. For whatever reason the NAD receivers seem to take a while to read, decode and output to analog. By connecting via the analog connections you're letting your player do the decoding and passing an analog stream to the NAD. I have an NAD and it behaves quite the same way. I'm quite surprised they do this, though it really only comes into play when skipping tracks, something I rarely do. I'm not sure how prevalent it is across the different brands of surround receivers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
I've heard at least some H/Ks and Denons having a noticeable time before indentification of digital stream. It's not a big deal with movies, but with CDs it must be a bit annoying.

Annan
Unregistered guest
Could someone please elaborate on this? There was another thread I think but I can't find it. So what you are saying is that with a digital connection, the NAD will skip the 1st second of the first song on a cd or if you skip tracks? That's unacceptable IMO. I can't believe anyone would put up with that. But then again, from some other threads, I can't beleive what people do put up with after purchasing a thousand dollar receiver. HK has addressed this on their website and an upgrade fix is in the works. See FAQ. Is this going to be part of NAD's next downloadable upgrade? I would hope so. That would drive me nuts!

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 35
Should I notice a difference in the sound quality using an analog input rather than a digital input?

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 112
Does this occur for each track, or just the first one? And, if you're only losing a "fraction of a second" from the first track, are you really that bothered by it?

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 36
It is usually a non issue, except for a piece like Bach's "Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor" in which the opening note's absence is very apparent.

Bronze Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 94
Rotel's don't have this problem. At least I haven't been able to find it. How about the Outlaw's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
"So what you are saying is that with a digital connection, the NAD will skip the 1st second of the first song on a cd or if you skip tracks?"

I believe it's only when skipping tracks or 'manually' changing chapter on a DVD-movie.

"Should I notice a difference in the sound quality using an analog input rather than a digital input?"

No, not really. If your CD-player has better digital-to-analog converters (=DAC) then the quality should be better with analog, if otherwise it should be better with digital. Possibly there is no big difference in a way or another so you can happily use the analog connection.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 38
My CD/DVD player is a Yamaha DVD-S2300MK2. It is universal player (DVD/CD/DVA,SACD). I would expect it to have better digital-to-analog coverters. Please let me know if you have any info to the contrary.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
It seems to be a very good player so the quality of the DACs is most likely better than with your receiver. But as always, if you cant hear a difference in something it doesn't really matter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us