Acoustic research

Bronze Member
Username: Bien

Post Number: 15
I realize that acoustic research is currently under chapter 11 bankruptcy, but does anyone here have any experience with their speakers?
I am especially interested in opinions of the Phantom 8.3 and the s50.
I am interested in using them with the NAD t753.
Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 87
Not long ago, AR was the speaker to have. The AR3 and AR3a were THE speaker when I was young. I had some AR8 bookshelf and there will never be a speaker to replace them. AR's featured paper/pulp drivers and sounded just great. They were American made too. Now, as AR gets/has been purchased by various conglomerates, the product line changes, the product changes, availability is spotty, driver sourcing has become a nightmare and they are no longer the vanguard they once were. The tower/side firing woofer style units they offer can be had in better form from NHT. The powered speakers AR offered can be had in more reliable forms from Paradigm. The old AR bookshelfs - replete with 1 inch tweeter, and 8 inch woofers - can be found from almost anyone in better sonic form. The days of AR speakers producing the flattest, even-handed, tonally accurate speakers are I'm afraid long gone.
If they enter protective final phases of Bankruptcy, I believe they will not have to honor any laws goverining warranty claims. So be careful.

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 89
I can't comment on the Phantom 8.3 models but I use an NAD T742 to run AR speakers (310HO towers, AR2C center & AR206HO rears) and like the combination. I've owned the 310HO pair for about seven years now and have not had any problems with them. Have a look on audioreview.com.

Audiovox has bought AR and has plans to introduce a new line to replace the Hi-Res line

quote:

In the company's more traditional audio line the Acoustic Research Extended Performance (XP) series launches with six models that feature, super audio tweeters, Magalloy(R) drivers and narrow-front baffles, all designed to deliver superior sound.

See AR for the full press release.

Keep an eye on AR News for developments.

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 90
Some pics from CES 2004:
AR Line
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us