Help me obiwan kenobi, you're my only hope! (budget receiver)

Username: Collegeboy

Post Number: 1
Hi guys, I'm in college, just decided last week to get myself a basic 2.0 system.

After some research, I purchased a pair of floorstanding Energy C-5s for $400. I heard they were of outstanding value, next to Paradigm. I was looking at B&W 603 s3, but they apparently require good inputs because they just reproduce sound (which is a good thing if you spend like alot of money I guess). Anyway, my point is that I need a receiver to match these speakers.

I was advised by a speaker cable company called Zu, because I asked them for some help (really nice people, just looked like they really wanted to help you. also they were using non current euqipment to listen to stuff, so i liked their oldschoolness). They told me at first to go with a RAM labs, Denon PMA 2000, or a Rogue with a kingrex amp, but then when I emphasized value, they told me to purchase a Panasonic SA XR25, because they are hands down "the best value."

The Energy C-5s are rated as follows...
Recommended Amplifier Power: Up to 200 watts,
Nominal Impedence: 8 ohms,
Frequency Response: 36-23Khz (+/- 3db),
Sensitivity 90dB...

I do not know how these sound, so I don't know how they will match up. I read your archived topic back in 2005 (more like Ed ranting) discussing the issue of matching the Panny + bright speakers = terror for ears. So I will pose the following questions:
1) The Energy's are 8ohms, and the Panny is 6ohms. Does that matter? Is that better? I don't know...and if I remember one of the members writing back then, the impedance rate matters somehow? And will the extra current help these speakers?
2) The room is 450sq ft., the speakers handle up to 200w, I read from the thread before that you can't tell the different between 75w/100w, but can you tell the difference in 150w? And should I look to get more? Will it sound more "musical?" Or will these speakers be ok with just around 100w of power?
3) What else is there that I can get, that's a better value? I'm getting this Panny for around $75, and this system is going to stay 2.0 for a while. Not really looking for a onkyo 605 here...I was looking at an Outlaw sometime ago, but boy are they expensive for 2 channel.

For speaker cables, I have Zu Julian cables, Zu coax digital Firemine (no idea what they are, but they seemed to know what I was looking for. I'm guessing these are the a/v cables?), Monster HDMI 1080p+ rated cables, and the inputs will all be digital, as I read from that archived thread that the digital receiver doesn't fair well with analog/digital conversion or something. Lol. The application will be for just movies, hooking up to xbox 360 elite, and bumping music during parties in the weekend. (I heard I have to keep things off the top of it and ventilate the Panny well?)

Thanks for reading! Help me obiwan, youre my only hope!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 902
"hey told me to purchase a Panasonic SA XR25, because they are hands down "the best value." "

wow...They should stick to cables..CB-what is your budget if u dont mind me asking.

Post Number: 2
i dont really want to spend more than 200 dollars max

Post Number: 3
i thought as you were thinking...im currently looking at some old stereo sonys and h/k.

what do you think about these:
SONY STR-DA80ES
Harman Kardon 3485 and the 3480-z

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11895

The HK receivers are very nice for the money; but they are not $75. Don't let anyone give you the wrong impression of the Panasonic based on the name alone. The Panasonic receivers which operate in class D are apparently good value items when matched with appropriate speakers. Value is a relative term and implies good sound for the $75 you'll spend.

The speakers must maintain a fairly simple impedance curve which you can find in a test report or by calling the manufacturer. If the impedance dips to four Ohms, I would pass on the Panasonic. Otherwise, try the receiver if you can get your money back after an audition. Your ears can decide what works for you. Ignore the amount of wattage and concentrate on the sensitivity spec of your sepakers. The higher the sensitivity, the higher the volume level and the less strain on the amplifier. Your 90dB speakers will play fairly loud with not much power.

Go out and listen to some receivers rather than asking our opinion. Take your speakers with you on a quiet wekday afternoon and ask the shop to hook them up to their receivers (call ahead to make sure the shop can accomodate this request). If the receiver runs through a comparator/switch box, the Panasonic is unlikely to fair well. All receivers should be compared with a direct connection to the speakers. If the shop won't do that, I'd try to find a shop that will and spend your money with them. If no shop will do that, I would make clear that you desire an audition and the return policy should allow for that. I would not buy a receiver based on anyone's recommendation without first hearing that receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 18
http://www.audiomagus.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=%20flypage .php&product_id=1&category_id=2&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2 7&vmcchk=1&Itemid=27

Google up the 6Moons review of the TA10.1 and the Stereomojo digital amp shootout. Unless you are planning to shake plaster off the walls, this is the best 2-channel music option under $200, IMHO.

The Panasonic sa-xr55 can be had from jr.com for about $185 shipped but might not do well with those C-5s for music.

Or if you want to spend $250 the Kingrex T-amp is said to have a slightly warmer tubelike sound than the Trends. 6moons also has a review of this one.

Post Number: 4
i can buy those HK 3480/5 receivers for 200 dollars from HK straight. so considering that, is it a good deal? the sony was offered for 160.

i read about "direct pass" to 2.0 channel, which allows for sending the entire signal to the speakers; are there any receivers that does that well? will the C-5s do better that way?

about those TA10.1, i dont think 10w will be enough for these speakers...but what do i know...

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 19
$200 direct is a sweet deal. Definitely don't even think about the Sony. HKs do have a reputation for spotty reliability on forums like this, but this could just reflect their huge sales volume for all we know. They are known for a warmish sound which is good for those C5s.

The TA10.1 will be fine for your 90db sensitivity speakers (93db in-room according to the Energy website) so long as your room isn't enormous or you have to listen at ear-shattering levels.

The main advantage of the HK is that you can connect multiple sources to it as is, with the TA you have to buy pre-amp.

At least for certain types of music, jazz and classical and vocal-dominated, I would still take the TA though. Also it'd be a lot easier to store and move each year!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Post Number: 1638
http://www.ubid.com/Marantz_SR3001_A%2fV_6.1_Ch._Home_Theater_Receiver/a11224765 -rsearchone.html

Post Number: 5
if i had to pick between the marantz sr3001 (200) and the hk 3485 (160ish), which should i go for?

and what are the advantages of marantz?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1639
The Marantz, being a 6.1 receiver, gives you the option of moving into HT/surround at some future point if you so desire, but for pure 2-CH the 120WPC HK3485 (Did you find the HK3485 for $160 delivered? Where?) will afford you greater "head room" than the 60WPC Marantz, and the ability to power more power-hungry speakers at some future time.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 21
am with CM but would add that surround sound is not worth the trouble and expense nor the compromised music sound quality compared to 2-channel. At least not for my movie tastes and my listening priorities.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1640
The Marantz "Source Direct" mode offers uncompromised 2-CH, IMHO.

Post Number: 6
well, i saw the sr4001, which had hdmi, and i went for it. hopefully it was worth it.

now the question is, the sites i checked never gave specs as to the watts for stereo use...should i also use the speakers at the 8ohms, or 6ohms? the THD is the same it looks, at 0.08 (says one site).

please help me set this bad boy up haha

Gold Member

Post Number: 1642
I still think that SR3001 for $149 was a sweet deal, but congratulations on the SR4001, it should prove to be a very versatile performer. What did you pay for it?

I thought you said you had already purchased the Energy C5?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us