McIntosh Ma6100

Username: Jl2002

Qubec, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 1
Many questions about the McInstosh MA6100.
I am looking to replace my amp and there is a used MA 6100 to the reseller for 650 euros. (it is more pricey in France than in America).
It is a class A ampli ?
Since it is set-up for 240 volts, can i use it with the 110/120 volts when I will be back in Canada (in a couple of years from now) with a transformer.
Some ampli such as the Cambridge 740Av2 can be use with 2 voltages (such as computers). It is 1000 euros. I am hoping the McIntosh will give better sound...
Since it is a very old equipment, if I purchse it how long can I expect keeping the McIntosh without major repair and how much should I plan to spend in the next few years in order to keep it in shape.
For now all the connectors have be changed a year ago as well as a complete inside dedusting of components.
Thanks in advance.
jl

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11891

McIntosh power amplifiers operate in class AB. Mac does not suggest operating their equipment on step up/down transformers. You'll be able to keep the Mac running indefinitely with periodic maintenance. At this point I would expect to spend several hundred dollars on new capacitors - either now or in the near future. How much you spend depends on what you replace with what sort of cap and who does the work.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us