Preamp vs New Receiver

Username: Novada

Post Number: 1
Xmas day question. Our Onkyo TX-SR500 doesn't have phono input so we are unable to connect our new Technics turntable :-( It looks like I either need a preamp or a new receiver. Is there any noticeable difference in sound quality between buying a premap vs buying a new receiver with a phono input. Is a basic $30 preamp from radioshack good enough or should I buy something online from a place like phonopreamps.com. I'm not an audiophile and don't need a huge list of features but I am looking for something that sounds great to the average person.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5799
http://www.turntableneedles.com/

These guys are good to deal with and have inexpensive solutions....keep in mind that if you want to get serious about vinyl you will need to spend more. Good luck.

Username: Oldschool2424

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
Hey Matt,
The quality of the pre amp is what will make the difference. Built in or separate make no difference to quality. Some people prefer a separate pre amp....just for being able to increase quality. Make sure it has low and high gain and mm and mc selections. Use a silent groove test lp to check for hum or other noise. But untimately, the sound is only as good as the weakest link in the system. Crappy needle, crappy cartridge, bad turntable...bad ground in system...lots of variables. Good Luck

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11924

Somehow I doubt Matt will be running a low output moving coil cartridge on his Onkyo table. I could be wrong, but ...

Username: Novada

Post Number: 2
Just to follow up I purchased a BBE FJB-200X Phono Preamp from guitar center. It was about $50. My main goal was to get the system working and it did the trick. I'm happy with the sound and I'm playing vinyl again for the first time in many years. I'm sure over the next few years I will slowly improve the system with better components.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 984
Welcome to eCoustics Mike M.

You have a fairly unique vintage system.

How long have you had the Revolver?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us