PSB Stratus Silver i vs Monitor Audio Silver S8

Username: Mixster

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 5
I am considering both of these speakers. The problem is I don't have a PSB dealer anywhere near me. I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!!

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 6
Nobody???

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 81
You have 2 PSB dealers in LasVegas, and the short drive to the California Central Valley is replete with PSB dealers. Good Guys have Monitor Audio of course; decent enough if you like them, albeit expensive performers. A word of caution about the Stratus line - those are DATED speakers. PSB just overhauled the IMAGE line, and I'll bet the lumbering Stratus line is soon to be replaced. There are plenty of other speakers in your 1900ish range that perform AS WELL as PSB Stratus. If you insist on PSB's, any dealer will UPS them to you and if you go that route, use the 7-10 day super saver UPS rate.

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 8
Thanks for your feedback, CB. I found the PSB Stratus Silveri "blemished" at DMC for $1200. I've been thinking lately about the PSB Image series....the older models 4, 5 & 6T. They are about half the price or less. Do you have an opinion on those?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
I unfortunately only heard some PSB Image's set up poorly with dismal older Onkyo equipment, crappy cable and a no-name cheap CD player of foreign extraction. This dealer is long gone. The sound was gruesome. You're not that far from California dealers. Keep in mind PSB just overhauled the Image line. The freshened re-tuned cabinets and metal driver material upgrades are probably not revolutionary upgrades but may be worthwhile nonetheless. Pop on over to the valley and visit a few dealers over here; you'll LOVE our highest in the nation gas prices!

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 9
Thanks Chico. I am considering going over to Sacramento next weekend.....or maybe I'll go down and visit DMC in Orange County and go to the Beach while we're at it. Dang, I didn't think anywhere was more expensive on gas than here......$2.60 :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
One Absolute Sound editor in issue 137 posted the Image 5T to his best of 2003 list. The article can be downloaded for $3. The newer version might then well be worth a listen. Just don't waste your $850. Are you using upgraded cables?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
One Absolute Sound editor in issue 137 posted the Image 5T to his best of 2003 list. The article can be downloaded for $3. The newer version might then well be worth a listen. Just don't waste your $850. Are you using upgraded cables?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Blasted Central Valley Internet Service!

Bronze Member

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 11
Yeah, I heard you the first time :-)

I can get the 5T's for $519 and the 6T's for $599. I don't have cables yet. What do you recommend and what should I expect to pay???

Username: Nad_newbie

Post Number: 9
Mickey- I was about to make the same PSB Stratus Silver purchase a month ago. Despite the fact that they are being replaced, they are still a fantastic sounding speaker, so if you decide to buy them I would be confident in your purchase.

A little plug for DMC. DMC is a great company to work with. If you do have a chance to go down there, I do not think you will be disappointed. They have a nice little store set up. I'll tell you what I hate, audiophile pr@%ks (not all audiophiles) who act like you are doing them a favor by visiting their pretty little store. I assure you that is not the treatment you will get at DMC, nor will you find a pretty little store. Friendly service, and owners that will take the time to explain anything to you and let you sample anything in the store. When I bought my receiver from him, it was not set up in the store. I told him I was interested, they unpulgged a system and plugged in the receiver I wanted so that I could hear it. In my experience, I have yet to run into any high end store here in Sacramento that would go through that to ensure customer satisfaction.

FYI, I decided to not go with the PSBs. Instead I decided to purchase NHT M5's all the way around (5.1). I am extreamly happy with them and the price. They list for $450 each, but if you are buying a few speakers at once, I found most auth dealers willing to discount a little. I am driving them with an NAD 753 (from DMC) which seems a great match.

Bronze Member

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 14
Thanks alot NAD_newbie. I have heard nothing but positive comments regarding DMC. I am looking forward to dealing with them. I need to add NHT's to my audition list.

Unregistered guest
I own 2 pair of Stratus Bronzes and a pair of Image 2B and a pair of Century 600i's. I have heard the Image 5t and Stratus Silvers. They have replaced the Image with new Images. They have added the Platinums. I do not believe they are discontinuing the Stratus line. I love the Stratus speakers and would buy and maybe will buy the Silveri blems from DMC-Electronics. They have given great service in the past. It's hard to go wrong with PSB.
John Dean

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Tahoe - On your question of cables, it would be completely reasonable to pay $100 (IMO) for speaker cables and $75 for interconnects for your range of speaker expenditure. I am Straight Wire brand fan (e-mail me for details robertinhumco@hotmail.com).
IF you audition the PSB and opt for any of the older STRATUS series, I make two cautions. 1) I found the upper and midrange performance completely satisfactory, even yummy! on the Gold but, 2) I found the bass completely out of control, and the cabinets far too noisy. The Stratus was a better choice, in my opinion, just make sure you don't mind the tweeter juxtaposed between the two mid/mid-low drivers. And the Stratus line is dated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us