Yamaha 1400, 2400 OR NAD separates??

Username: Phenolite

Post Number: 2
OK, go easy on my guys i'm such a newbie it is downright sad :-)

I have decided to get Klipsch RF-7's mainly because my friend has KLF-30's and I love them for the price and overall performance. I listened to the RF's and I really really enjoy them. now...how do i power them....

there is a store that has a combo deal on NAD stuff C160 Preamp and C270 Amp. This is stereo, of course. Now, I am also considering a Yamaha RXV1400 (or the 2400). The yamaha is cheaper and it is a receiver, giving me the option to add speakers, etc.

I just can NOT decide here, NAD stereo vs Yamaha multichannel. My room is not setup well for surround sound (not at all, actually). For this reason I am leaning more toward the NAD. I also want hardware that will go well with the klipsch's. I love how the klipsch's sound and I know NAD and Yamaha will be great...i need opinions from some experts...please help!

ps: forgive me if this is in wrong forum!!

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 80
Dan, What is your friend using to power them? I've heard quite a few people comment that H/K is a good match with Klipsch.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 13
If you go to the Klipsch forums, you will see a TON of people who have matched Klipsch with Denon. IMO, Yamaha may not be your best choice.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 325
Dan,

While they are great speakers, Klipsch speakers do tend to sound on the bright side. Consequently, in my opinion, they should be placed with a receiver/amp that sounds warmer in order to balance out some of the brightness. Although the Yamaha 1400 and 2400 are not nearly as bright sounding as the lower end Yamaha's, I still think that Yamaha would be too bright for Klipsch. I would recommend something with a warmer sound such as NAD, HK, Marantz, or Pioneer Elite.

Unfortunately, you are the only one who can answer the stereo vs. multichannel issue. I might suggest that if you like the NAD sound that you check out some of their receivers that are in the same price range as the Yamahas. NAD receivers all sound wonderful with music, and it will allow you to add extra channels if you wish. Who knows, a year from now you may move into a place that is more conducive to surround sound. Also, NAD receivers have preouts on all channels, so you can add an external power amp to the two front channels.

Bronze Member
Username: W9cw

Urbana, IL

Post Number: 37
Since I own both a Yamaha RX-V1400 and a NAD T753, I would suggest either, but I would certainly lean toward a warmer sounding receiver for use with your speakers. IMO, the RX-V1400 is not bright as compared to earlier Yamaha's. However, it is a bit thin sounding, compared to the NAD. It just doesn't have that robust and gutsy sound NAD is famous for.

Reliability, and build-quality, certainly favors the Yamaha. I've had some well-documented "infant mortality" problems with the NAD, but the Yamaha was perfect from day one. No glitches, no hiss, no hum, no decoding errors, nothing . . .

If you simply want 2-channel stereo, go with NAD. But, if you're considering multi-channel, I would suggest going with a bolder and warmer sound for your speakers, such as the Marantz 5400 or 6400. Or, you could try either the T743, T753, or above.

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 108
I would argue that NAD actually has pretty good build quality, but their reliability is certainly suspect.

Honestly, if you're leading towards NAD, and can get a 743 that actually works, it would probably be more than enough for you if you're concerned about both performance and cost, yet still want the capability to upgrade to surround sound. While it is only a 5.1 channel receiver, your post left me with the impression that you probably wouldn't be moving to a 6.1 or 7.1 configuration anytime soon.

The 743 will deliver plenty of power into two channels for stereo playback and, when combined with high sensitivity speakers like Klipsch, should allow for extremely loud listening levels. You can also add another amp to it later, if you feel that you need more power for surround sound playback, though I doubt you will unless you either have a really large room or really like to crank your system up.

Post Number: 3
my roommate is using a yamaha - not sure what model (about a year old).

my price range for power (stereo or surround) is about 850 - 950; 1000 absolute max.

if this helps: the room is completely hardwood floor, too.

i did read alot of people having problems with nad stuff...but...don't all companies have their problems? or is nad just more prone to problems then others, ie. yamaha?

thanks for all the help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
You should be able to pick up a 743 for around $550 or so. It also gives you a pretty nice universal remote, two HD-compatible component inputs, zone 2 support, 5.1 inputs (for DVD-A or SACD), 5.1 outputs (for an external amp), true high-current capability, assignable digital inputs, et cetera. Assuming you get one that works, it's a great receiver for the money.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 231
dan b,

I have to agree with both Johnny and Don. You need to stay with a warm sounding receiver, as the Klipsch speakers are on the bright side. The Yamaha is not the ideal choice here. Look at Marantz, HK, Pioneer Elite, or NAD. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 307
In Aus there is a HiFi chain selling Klipsch speaker and Yamaha receiver packages - wonders will never cease!

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 326
Rantz,

My local dealer has Klipsch paired with Denon and another dealer a bit further away has Denon paired with Monitor Audio...what are these people thinking?!?!?! If an audio salesman's ears bleed from all of these shrill sounds, do they qualify for workman's comp?

Dan,

As far as NAD and reliability issues, see this thread. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/18212.html Anything I could say would be repeating what has already been said there. Good Luck!!!

Post Number: 4
perhaps the t743...hmmm...so, no Yamaha :-P. I kinda figured; makes alot of sense. If i want hardware to compliment , no yamaha, as it seems that yamaha ADDS to klipsch.

now, with the T743, i believe it is 55wpc, would this out perform the 1400 by yamaha? in other words...will a 5.1 amp by NAD out-do a 7.1 (90wpc) by yamaha?

as far as HK is concerned, i love LOVE the look of the 630. but, the only "authorized" dealer of HK around me. now...i am NOT going to that shithole of a store. so, should i just order it online and audition it at my house? i'm sure i'll be satisfied with it, as it is silver w/blue LEDs... :-)

Post Number: 5
ok, well... i may do this:

get speakers tomorrow and hook em up to my Aiwa minisystem for now (lol, 30x2 baby!!).

and i may order the HK AVR630. As it offers about 95w or so in stereo, which is what i'll use for alot of music..mm...CDs w/klipsch...anyway, i found a good price for it ($500 less than CrappoCity).

That sound good? or shouldn't i order AV stuff? 0_o

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 308
Johnny

These people claim to be professionals. They buy in bulk - sell to an unaware public - looking only at the end of the month bonus. I've had friends who have been sold like this and all one can really do when they invite you around to listen to "Our Great New System" is to offer a polite smile of approval while hoping they'll soon turn the volume down. It's a real shame!

Post Number: 6
I'll look into the T743 too, i'm just not sure that will offer the power I want

OR, just go for NAD separates - C160 and C270

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 82
Dan,

I have the NAD T742 (similar specs as T743) powerering a pair of AR 310HO speakers which have a sensitivity of 95dB and it plays very loud and clean. I used to have an H/K AVR30 (60wpc, 40amps HCC) which also played very loud but had a lot less bass than the NAD (you may or may not like this). I personally would go for a receiver with clean high-current power.

I think it comes down to whether you want it to be loud enough so your neighbours would complain (NAD T743 or H/K AVR430 class) or if you want to feel like your in the front row of an AC/DC concert (separates or something like the Carver C1000a).

Post Number: 7
well, separates cost more...much more. so, I would be willing to spend less on a REAL good receiver - so i can some somewhat near that "pure separates" sound.

I'll see how much the T743 is, as NAD is still on my list. I basically LOVE bass, and i could see myself getting a massive, insanely expensive sub, mainly because I like it when stuff rattles and falls off shelves :-)

I have a local NAD retailer, and he said that they have had zero problems with their nad product line.

Basically, it is between...
H/K AVR630 (get it online)
NAD T743 (local)
NAD C160 preamp and NAD C270 amp combo

I am going to audition the NAD stuff tonite most likely

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 330
Dan,

This is in response to a question you asked in your post of 11:28 pm May 26. You asked about how the NAD T743 compared to the Yamaha 1400 in terms of power. These two companies report their power in very different ways. NAD uses a very conservative method in rating the power output of their receivers. They rate the power with all channels driven simultaneously. On the flipside of that, Yamaha rates their receivers with only say two channels going at once. When you rate a Yamaha receiver with all channels driven, like the NAD, their power ratings typically drop considerably. I don't remember the exact figure (elitefan help me out), but when Sound and Vision Magazine tested the Yamaha 1400 with all channels driven, I seem to recall that it clipped at somewhere around 60 watts. Now, when you compare that figure to the 50 watts per channel of the NAD, the difference isn't so big. I am positive that the NAD will provide you with plenty of power.

By the way, you said that you were thinking of HK as well. They also rate their receivers very conservatively. So, don't be put off by the 75 wpc of the HK AVR630. As with NAD, that will be plenty of power for those Klipsch speakers.

Post Number: 8
if i go for separates, then I get 120wpc :-) from NAD - so knowing that 55w and 75w will be plenty, i'm not sure if separates is a good idea anymore?

thanks a ton for all the input folks, i deeply appreciate it :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
if i go for separates, then I get 120wpc...

Actually, since you're comparing it to a stereo amp, the 743 will deliver 70 WpC with two channels driven. And keep in mind that you could always pick up a 743 and the 270, using the 743 as a pre-amp for the 270 while having the flexibility of a surround sound system.

Post Number: 9
well, local retailer has a trade-up policy i am going to check into. I may just go for the 743 right now, and up to the 753 or something later :-)

i'm thinkin the 743 will be a fine choice - may even pick everything up tonite :-)

Post Number: 10
Well this is my final verdict...

i am gonna go with the NAD separates, cuz they just sound so damn nice, and i can get a real good deal on them.

I am going with PSB 6T speakers with the SubSonic 6i subwoofer (together, cheaper, AND a bit better on my ears, than the klipsch).

My roommate has klipsch, and i loved em, but, the RF-7's were missing something, and that something is what the 6i delivers...****loads of basse :D

so, how does this sound with everyone? any severe objections? cuz i'm buyin tomorrow (been shopping around for a few weeks now).

So....
PSB 6T
PSB SubSonic 6i
NAD C160
NAD C270

:D can't wait!

Username: Lkng

Post Number: 6
Good choice for your money since PSB 6T is on sale right now because of the new Image series.

Since you're only running 2-ch, you might want to hold off on the sub. Try the 6T without the sub first. I think the 6T has plenty of "boom" for stereo.

I'm a newbie too and I have the same thing Image 6T ($600), Image 8C ($185), with a NAD T752 ($600$), and just bought a Velodyne 150W sub ($230).

Movie is great!!! Music is pretty good.

I think you'll have an awsome system for the money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i'll have a listen today without the sub - but, i'm a bass fanatic, the more the better :-)

thanks Luke!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok, i went with the PSB and NAD stuff and OH MY DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN it is sweet. i mean...i...god...i made a mess in my pants.

amazing sound. i have to tweak it a bit, and get better cables (found old crappy ones to do for now).

I do have a bit of a hiss/hum from my nad stuff, but i'll look into it..after...more..music :-)

thanks everyone!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us