Boston acoustics

Clint Farrell
Has anybody out there really tested or heard the BA vrm 80's. I would like to get some opinions please. Give me the brake down.

Anonymous
My grandma has those speakers!

G-Man
As far as a break down is concerned--I have heard the Boston Acoustic VR M60's, but not the VR M80's. The VR M60's are a very good bookshelf speaker that sell for $1,000/pr at onecall.com and lord knows what it costs at my local Tweeter or elsewhere.

Oddly enough, the VR M80's cost the same at onecall.com and are a tower speaker that uses 2 x 5 1/2" woofers, as opposed to the 1 x 6 1/2" woofer in the smaller bookshelf VR M60's.

The point isn't whether anyone else thinks they are good--but whether you like them. Speakers are very subjective. The main thing people may agree on is the build quality--but the sound people hear is a residue on how flat the response curve is in conjunction with the reactivity of your room (acoustically that is, not radioactively--haha). Add to that peoples different hearing abilities and their various personal biases---the answers you get could be all over the map.

Some people like boomy low ends, a laid back sound--others like a "hot" high end with a more in your face sound. Many are effected by the brand name because they heard from others that it was good and think they should hear the same thing.

If you are thinking of buying them from Tweeter or elsewhere, take them home and listen to them first. You might try the 60's too. Often bookshelf style speakers image a lot better. Of course you have to put the 60's on a speaker stand that has the speaker radiating to your sitting position at roughly ear level to fairly assess them.

At this price range there is a lot of competition--maybe not at the store you are buying from--but a lot. Just to name a couple of manufacturers: Paradigm Reference Studio 20's and 40's--Monitor Audio Silver series or a used pair of Reference G10's.

I demo the VRM-80 at two (2)Harvey Electronics stores in the NYC area and they were outstanding. At $2,000, there is no competition. The build quality is excellent and for a 2 1/2 way speaker, separation is incredible. They handle bass very well, I heard sounds in my Grover Washington CD, that I never heard before. I also auditioned Paradigm (nice build, but can not handle bass, muddy sound), B&W 603 and 604, Vienna Bach and Mozart and this was the best.

G-Man
They are good speakers. If you like them--then you can't go wrong getting them. Particularly since you say they sound very good in your room. Afterall, that is where the rubber really meets the road, the interaction of the speakers with the room as interpreted by your hearing ability.

What you say above regarding bass performance is also true. Hence the existence of self-powered subwoofers. A lot of people love the midrange and tweeter performance of a monitor speaker and buy the subwoofer to take the pressure of the amp and the speaker to play the low frequency tones. When "meshed" well with a quality subwoofer and balanced with an SPL meter in the room the results can be great. Particularly true during movies.

But if you listen to a lot of classical music the Boston's are probably a very nice choice. You don't need "thumping" bass. You just might miss a bit on the deeper organ notes--and you might not listen to that anyway. Or you might not be sensitive to the lowest notes anyway. Everyone is different.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us