HT/music system help

Username: Jazzman71

Post Number: 1
Newbie to the group. Want HT setup that will do justice to my new HDTV but more interested in great stereo sound, and I want to be able to intercept the front preamp out and reintroduce it -- no current A/V one box receivers seem to be able to do that. Here is what I am thinking about:

A low/moderately priced A/V receiver to handle the surround duties--SAT/DVR, DVD and other multi-channel input here through HDMI or multi-channel inputs. For the stereo, run the CD player and other audio sources into a preamp/amp combo with ability to output to the sub. For HT using the fronts, take the surround front pre-out to a processor/EQ and directly to the stereo amp and let the A/V do the other channels. I'm asking the experts, does this sound like a good 'tweener to not compromise the music? I am thinking about an Outlaw or NAD preamp/amp to do the music duties. Feedback appreciated. Cheers.

Neil

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 859
Neil, im confused.lol. Of course going with a separate two channel system would be ideal. But if the HT and 2Ch system must be one system, there are a few ways of doing it. None of them are easy, and as far as a A/V receiver or multi channel pre amp goes, you will have to spend some money and get one that has a Music first philosophy. The way I did mine, was run a power amp into the pre outs on my T763 so that the receiver is only powering the center and rears. This makes for a much better two channel experience and opens up the sound stage for movies. So really my A/V receiver for music, is just a pre amp. The other way of doing it is a full multi channel pre amp and power amp(s). If you going to have a surround sound system with great front speakers. Say for example a Full Monitor Audio Silver series speaker setup for movies and music, then there is no reason to have to run a pre amp into a EQ and then into a cheap A/V receiver. NAD and Outlaw are a good place to start, although as far as A/V receivers go I think the NAD is better at two channel music. Also look at Arcam and Rotel. Depending of course what your speakers are going to be. And of course what you have heard, and enjoy.

Username: Jazzman71

Post Number: 2
Nick, thanks for the info. I've been reading up on lots of options. Actually, I could use the NAD Txx3 series without a separate amp because I think they have main amp in connections. None of the new HDMI equipped units do. I like the idea of a separate power amp for the fronts, however, so I may go that route regardless.

Neil
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us