Buying demo (used) speakers - what to look out for?

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 37
I'll be buying a pair of bookshelf speakers this weekend. I can buy new or buy a store demo and get the full 5-year warranty. I'm just wondering - what are the risks in going the demo route? A demo may save me a couple hundred bucks I figure, and these speakers are more for test/educational purposes anyhow (unless I really love the sound when I hook them up). That's why I'm considering a demo pair.

Assuming the speakers look fine (no dents in the box, drivers look good), can I assume they should be as good as new?

The one potential issue I can think of when it comes to possible damage that can't be seen is if, during auditions, they ran the speakers too loud and the amp started clipping. I know that can cause some damage and there is probably no visible indication that this happened.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1776
Dan, I'll throw my inexperienced two cents worth. Others will most likey add some worthy advice.

1. Audition the speakers at various volume levels (within reason of course). Try to use some music with both high and low frequencies to test the tweeters and drivers.

2. Carefully, with fingers spread evenly on the cones, push in and lessen pressure so the cones retract a few times and feel if there is any rubbing or grating. If so, walk away from them.

If all goes well with these tests, the speakers are most likely okay. But, be sure they are right for your amplification and needs. A return agreement is beneficial in buying any speakers - new or used.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11844

If you're buying from a store that probably let the amplifier clip for long periods, then you probably shouldn't be spending much time at that store. As a rule, stores don't blow up their own merchandise. Even if they do, you have a warranty.

Ask why the store wants to part with a demo pair of speakers if they'll just have to open a new pair to replace them? Why would the shop prefer loose a few hundred dollars profit when they don't have to? If the reason sounds legitimate, buy the demos.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Thanks for the tips M.R.

Jan, you are right. With the warranty I shouldn't have to worry. And the reason is legit...the speakers are discontinued models (Tannoy F2) and the sales rep said they want to sell their entire inventory. They have a new pair in apple finish, but the one I want is dark oak and they only have that in a demo. I figure, why not buy that one and save a bit of money to boot?

As for the clipping issue, maybe your use of the term "long periods" is key. In my limited experience auditioning I was shocked at just how loud several reps played their systems. To the extreme, one of the stores I went to cranked the volume up to ridiculous levels. The rep told me that he was powering the speakers (Focal 714Vs) with amps that he probably shouldn't be using (Monster amps that were too powerful) and pointed out a light on the amp that suggested it was starting to clip. And yet, he said, the speakers still sound great, with no distortion! And they sound good no matter where you stand in relation to them! This was the pitch. Kind of makes one a bit wary of buying demo models.

But that was the exception really. Most stores seemed to turn up the volume, but still kept things at reasonable levels.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9415
Did you tell the guy that he should be selling washing machines?!?
I would walk out(after complaining) that this dude is tone deaf, a moron and hurting peoples ears.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Ha-ha, yeah, I probably should have made a comment. Washing machines, and perhaps audio products, at Future Shop.

The store was clearly more into car audio than home audio, if that tells you anything. Half the store (the front half) was car audio, the back half was home audio and they didn't even have the lights on in that area.

Now I have nothing against car audio systems, but the stereotype is loud bass heavy music. The demo CD he had on hand definitely fit the bill, as did the way he played it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us