Does anyone know this speaker? Maybe a TDL ?

Username: Mr_mxlptlk

Post Number: 1
Hello members. Does anyone know thie speaker model? It looks a bit like a TDL, referring to the gigantic transmission line hole...

Any ideas? Please let me know.
--
Thanx Thomas

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 149
What's the scoop Thomas...you buying or selling?

Post Number: 2
The scoop is the following:

I'd like to buy this speaker, but I have no chance to hear it first. Therefore I have to know the speaker's quality. It would be a great help for me if I can find someone who owns it or has owned it.

Maybe the board says that the speaker sounds like garbage can I will forget it, looking for another one.
--
Thomas

Bronze Member
Username: Cooltech

Post Number: 11
It looks like a JBL or a TBL.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 450
Don't buy speakers without listening to them.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11841

Why do you want to buy this speaker?

You don't know what brand or model it is. The person selling this speaker can't tell you what model and brand it is?

You don't have a clue how it sounds and you cannot hear it before you buy it.

You have no idea how efficient it is, what impedance load it presents to your amplifier or whether it will play happily with your present amplifier.

Why do you want to buy this speaker?

And I suppose you want to buy another one just like it too.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 940
and....

................you don't even know if they work

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1777
I'm sure Thomas will get the owner to play them through the telephone.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 212
Nawww he better get the seller to use a webcam lol.......Thomas once you don'[t live in greenland..........i'd suggust taking a walk do dealer and listen to some 'real' speakers at least one that has a uhhh name on it and a serial number.

Post Number: 3
Yes... you all are right...

But... yesterday I talked to the manufacturer of great speakers in germany (A.O.S.) who has taken over the business of IMF England and its follow-up TDL. Both big players in business of building big transmission line speakers.

I suggested that the speakers in this thread are some vintage TDLs but I had no idea which ones. The CEO of AOS told me yesterday that this speaker is a rare version of TDLs STUDIO later rebuilt and renamed to TLS3. I listened to 2 different sets of TDLs in the past and I found their sound great. And 300 EUROS (the price for the ones I'm asking for) is not that much. I someone on this board had said that the speakers are sounding like rusty garbage cans, I would forget to think about the buying of these...

I think that there is no discussion that both IMF and TDL, had built high ended speakers. OK, you have to be a fan of "british" sound and you have to like the specific sound of transmission line speakers too. I like it both. I own myself a set of vintage IMF TLS-80 speakers.

@My_rantz: but the listening session through the telephone (we used skype because that was cheaper) was a great experience .

And sorry for my english. It's a bit rusty, too I think.

Thank you all.
--
Thomas

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11843

Why do you still want to buy this speaker?

The person selling this speaker can't tell you what model and brand it is? They don't know it's a (very rare) TDL? The manufacturer and model number aren't on the speaker somewhere? How do you know this is a genuine TDL and not a DIY knockoff? One can sound very different than the other or they can sound very much alike. It sounds like you're not that particular.

You still cannot hear it before you buy it.

You still have no idea how efficient it is, what impedance load it presents to your amplifier or whether it will play happily with your present amplifier. TDL's ate up power. Do you have an amplifier that will drive this speaker?

Apparently you still don't know whether it actually works.

Why do you still want to buy this speaker?

And I suppose you still want to buy another one just like it too.

I agree that TDL and IMF both made very nice speakers but that shouldn't matter if you cannot hear a speaker before you spend your money. If you're comfortable with the seller and their responsibility if a problem arises, then you only risk shipping costs. If you are now convinced TDL made this speaker and you like the sound of TDL, then you shouldn't require our permission to buy the speaker. You shouldn't need anyone to tell you whether this speaker sounds like two rusty garbage cans, you know what TDL sounds like.

It's a rare speaker so not many people will be familiar with its sound. If you like the generic sound of TDL and 300 euros is not that much to you, spend your money.

BTW, what could you buy for 300 euros that might sound better?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 452
"And sorry for my english. It's a bit rusty, too I think. "

Your English is better than some of the English speaking people who post here.

I'm with Jan, if the seller can't even tell you what model the speakers are, then something is suspect here.

Post Number: 4
Hi Jan,

the seller says that these are TDLs that he bought some years ago as used speakers. But there are no brand signs on it so he can't tell the model type. So I agree with your tip that this can be a DIY knockoff.

I'm going to ask him to detach the chassis to verify that they are original ones. I think that the chassis only are twice as worth, don't you?

Amplifier: I'm using a ReVox H5 that has the power to drive my TLS-80. He can handle the TDLs for shure.

And thank you for your warnings/tips.
--
Thomas

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1778
Then good luck with them Thomas, I hope they turn out to be what you wanted. But make sure they are what you pay for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us