Good Speakers for McIntosh MA-6100

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 94
My father is looking to replace the speakers he uses with his old but still lovely McIntosh MA-6100 integrated amp. For details on this amp see http://mcintoshlaboratory.tripod.com/int/ma6100.htm

He's looking to spend between $1000 and $1500. He heard a nice set of Triangle Esprits a year ago and is contemplating them. Does anyone know if these would be a good match with a legacy amp like the MA-6100, would they be to bright? Any other speaker suggestions out there?

This is my first post on the forums in probably two or three years but I used to be around quite a bit!

Many thanks in advance,
Iain.

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 149
I've been using a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls with an MA-6200, for a few years now. The Mac/Ohm combo is a very good one.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11832

Your question is simply too broad. There are plenty of very good speakers that will live happily with the 6100. Will the Triangles be too bright? I assume not if your father likes them.

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 98
Well this is just it, I'm worried that they might be too bright. He's not heard the combination with his McIntosh amp. I know it's broad but I was hoping someone might throw out some suggestions that we could go listen to .. ( thanks Cornelius)

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11838

Sure, we can suggest stuff. If it isn't available in your area, that's a waste of time. Is your father worried the Triangles might be too bright or are you worried they might be too bright? Let your father worry if he must, he has different ears and older ears than you have. The 6100 is not a bright amplifier and there's reason to believe it will mate well with the speakers. Is this a no return policy after he buys the speakers? Most shops will allow you to bring in your amplifier or audition speakers over the weekend before you purchase anything. What's the problem?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us