Suitable speakers+sub for Onkyo tx-rs 304

Username: Musicjunky27

Post Number: 1
Hi All...I have Onkyo TX-SR 304 5.1 av receiver and am on a look out for suitable speakers and a sub woofer. May be in future I ll extend the system to full home theatre, but as of now I am only looking for front speakers and a powered sub woofer. I visited local dealer, Digital City Corp and heard KEF, Klipsch, Energy, Sony and Bose speakers. Of the lot, I liked Klipsch speakers with Energy S8.3 sub. This is my first attempt at building the system piecemeal, so I am not sure if this dealer made it sound good or is it really good. I have following questions:
1) what are the good combos of sub woofer + 2 front speakers for above receiver?
2) how suitable are the klipsch quintet speakers for above receiver?
3) how significant is the difference of performance between klipsch quintet II and III ?
4) any compatibility issue between klipsch and onkyo?

My budget for sub + 2 fronts is ~$500. I was initially considering Bose Acoustimass as it was within the budget but since its not extensible, I dropped it. I dont care if my sub shakes the neighbourhood, but i want my overall system to have clear and crisp sound which doesnt strain on higher volume.

Thanks

Post Number: 2
PS: I am relocating to India, and hence size of speakers and sub does matter.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1231
Energy !

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 190
"I liked Klipsch speakers with Energy S8.3 sub"

So why are you considering other speakers?
Did you listen to other speaker-sub pairs?

KEF speakers sound good to me, and Energy is reputed. There are folks that like Klipsch tweeters, though they may induce fatigue with prolonged listening.

Ultimately, its best to choose what sounds good to you.

Post Number: 3
"So why are you considering other speakers?"

cuz I did nt get to hear other combos so wanted to know which other sub goes with klipsch or onkyo receiver.
thanks neways.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 192
Most of the smaller subs are going to sound about the same. You can pick what meets your size and price requirements.

HSU subs are well reviewed. Not sure if they meet your size requirements:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html
Dimensions are 19x11x16 inches.

If you're set on Klipsch speakers, get the Klipsch sub as they would be designed to work together.

To answer your questions:
1) I don't know the specs on Energy speakers but the others should be compatible with your receiver.
2) Klipsch quintet speakers should be fine. Most Klipsch speakers are high impedence and high sensitivity meaning they don't present a large load on the receiver.
3) I like the sound of Quintet II but they aren't that loud. Better for listening at close range. If you're looking for home theater effects, get the Quintet III.
4) Klipsch and Onkyo should pair just fine.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1010
4) Klipsch and Onkyo should pair just fine.

I disagree with that.... to my ears, lower end Onkyo receivers have a grainy sound...pair that with the highly detailed klipsch tweeters, and you have a disaster waiting to happen....

IE: listener fatigue
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us