Good Quality HOME audio..Little Help!!

Silver Member
Username: Cashby

3 10 Stereo ...

Post Number: 446
Hey guys im planning on going with a reciever thats got five channels so a 5.1 and im looking for a good set of speakers including the subwoofer. I want to buy brand new but i just want to get your opion on a good quality, good sounding surround set up..Im kinda on a budget but just list some stuff and ill let you know if its to much or if id spend more!..Id like to buy in a set. (Reciever, speakers, and sub) Thanks a bunch guys!!

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2709
"I before e except after c." Oh, I'm sorry. This is an internet forum, which does not have to be grammatically correct.

I bet you're going to totally ignore what I say now, right? Well, whatever.

Uh, Paradigm's less expensive lines are pretty good, or so I've heard (in store, that is). The others know other good brands.

www.paradigm.com

Onkyo, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer, and others are receiver choices.

www.google.com

Google those. Onkyo and Denon have pretty good budget models.

SVS makes subs at a great value, if you can handle the size.

www.svsound.com

Hsu makes great subs at a value as well.

I think Hsu Research is the website. You'll have to find out, my computer is messed up.

If I were personally having to put a system together on a limited budget, it would probably consist of Denon, Paradigm, and SVS. That's me, of course.

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 32
I've been shopping around a bit for my HT. HSU subs seem to me to be the best value, SVS is right there too. www.hsuresearch.com and www.svsound.com Never heard either, but the praise is almost universal. These companies make subs almost exclusively and are Internet direct, so I'm assuming the performance per dollar spent is as good as it gets. I'll get one or the other.

For speakers I have decided on Monitor Audio Bronze BR5 fronts, BR1 rears, and the center channel. I've listened to many speakers over the past month and to me these represent the best value. See, I'm also trying to keep this as cheap as possible while not skimping too much on quality. The other speakers I liked were the PSB Image lineup and the Mordaunt Short Avant line. But you will want to listen to just about everything you can. You may not like the speakers that I do. There are a lot of respected brands out there: Energy, Athena, Mirage, Mordaunt Short, Focal, Wharfedale, Klipsch, Paradigm, Tannoy, B&W, KEF, etc.

I've also elected to go with a Marantz SR5002 or SR7002 receiver. In terms of getting good value there seem to be a few options: Denon, Pioneer Elite, Harman/Kardon, Onkyo. Onkyo's newest receivers seem to be receiving a lot of praise in terms of the feature set they include. The Marantz is new though and includes most of the features a comparable Onkyo would. I'm a bit wary about Onkyo as there seem to be many reports of them running very hot. Probably not an issue if there is adequate ventilation around the receiver. Nevertheless, it might be something to keep in mind. Anyways, I like the superior build quality of the Marantz lineup (best build quality among the brands I listed IMO) and Marantz sounded pretty sweet on the PSB speakers I listened to.

Just my thoughts, but as most here will tell you, listen, listen, then listen some more. Go with what sounds the best to you within your budget. When I first started with all of this I was convinced I was going to buy KEF speakers. I listened and changed my mind! Others love their KEFs. Audio is very subjective, the true test is listening with your own ears.

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 33
To address your points about budget, the MA speakers cost about $1,400. But the fronts are floorstanders. Do you want floorstander or bookshelve fronts? That will affect the cost, bookshelf models are cheaper but you'll need to buy a stand. Personally, I'd rather put the money for a nice stand into a floorstander.

If this is too high for you (and I just realized you want to buy in a set), then you'd probably want to look at a package like the Energy Take Classic 5.1, with all 5 speakers and a sub retailing for $900. I haven't heard these, but I believe the system has received some positive reviews. If you have to go this route, I'd probably stick to respected speaker brands like Energy and Polk, rather than going with a Sony or some other mass market brand like that. Just my opinion, I'm still pretty much a newbie at all this - maybe Sony, JVC, et al. make some decent product but I wouldn't bet on it.

From my experience, a lower end HSU sub ($300ish) will probably cost less or about the same as the sub that most speaker manufacturers build, unless you can get a really good deal.

For a pretty solid receiver you can get away with spending a few hundred bucks depending on where you buy and what features you're willing to not get. JR has great prices on H/K for instance.

It really depends on your budget, I think you'll have to say what yours is or any recommendations will be all over the map (like my last two posts!).

The first home theatre I bought was a Pioneer HTIAB for $300, CD player and receiver in one, including a passive sub. Okay for movies, unlistenable when it came to music. Buy something nicer if at all possible, because honestly, it's not worth it spending $300 on totally useless crap.

Silver Member

3 10 Stereo ...

Post Number: 447
Dan and andre i appreciate your help! thank you so much! And ive looked into your opions and ive shopped around..First off ill just let you know i want speakers where i can mount in the corner of my ceiling in all 4 corners and then 1 center speaker..I have decided that i will spend $250 tops on my reciever and i figured i would by the reciever first since thats the main thing. And on another thought i will be using it for %70 music (I listen to Rap/hip-hop) and %30 movies.. Thanks a bunch guys!!

Silver Member

3 10 Stereo ...

Post Number: 448
^^ o and i guess that last part on what i would be using it for would depend on my speakers! thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us