Cerwin vega

Username: Stmarie151

Post Number: 1
i don't know much about home theater but when it says 500w on the back of each speaker does that mean 500w total or 500w each speaker

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2294
Each speaker. But that spec is meaningless.

Unless you're spending thousands of dollars, you're not going to come anywhere near 500 watts.
It would be impossible to listen to 500 watts through CVs in a home setting even if you did have 500 true watts.

That spec is the theoretical maximum wattage input that they can handle. Its not an output. Speakers don't have watts.

Post Number: 3
alright thanx i have the cerwin vega cls dual 15 inch speakers and does it make a noticeable difference to go with thicker speaker wires.the store told me 16 gauge would be good enough but ive also got advice to go with as big as 4 gauge.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2689
Well, speakers do put out acoustic watts, but we don't want to confuse anyone.

You could get 2000w/speaker for $500 at those speakers' impedance with a low quality pro amp, but it wouldn't sound very good!!!

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2690
Larger wire helps with power losses and heat from those power losses, especially with long wire runs.

How far is the amp from the speakers?

Post Number: 4
its only like 8 feet per speaker i think so i prolly wouldn't notice a difference then from a 16 gauge to a 4 gauge

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1545
Don,

Welcome to eCoustics.

I'd like to read your impressions of the CLS-215? What other equipment are you using them with? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you use them for Home Theater?

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us