Ground loop on guitar amp

Username: Hideyourface

Post Number: 1
my guitar amp is humming a lot. In my basement, I have a computer, fridge, and my amp plugged into one socket on the wall and some lights in the other. I tried unplugging everything and plugging only the amp into one socket and there was still a little noise, less, but still a fairly annoying amount. Im really not sure what to do, and im really tempted to cut off the safety pin and attach a wire from it to a water pipe like a friend suggested, even though its not supposed to be safe. What else could I do?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2688
Is it possible to make a separate ground for the amp?

You could run one from the outlet to your own ground that you put in and make it separate from the others.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about according to the others on here. They'll help you.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11791

First, you should make sure the outlet you are connecting to has a three wire lead. Lack of a separate ground can cause as much noise as too many ground points. Then, if you have all three conductors installed properly in the outlet - make certain the ground wire is connected to the ground lug and the hot to hot and neutral to neutral - you can buy a ground lift form any hardware store.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 56
Conor, While your at the hardware store, get an outlet tester......it will check for all normal errors....hot/neutral swap and so forth.

couldn't hurt....

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11800

Buy an outlet tester?!!!

Buy one?

Wait a minute ...

You mean not everyone is given one at birth?

Oh, wow, man.

Heavy!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 67
Sorry, Jan,
Didn't mean to SHOCK you.

A buddy of mine had a male cat that was a terrific outlet tester......but the smell was awful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us