Technics TT with missing ground wire

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 737
I just picked up, for free, an old Technics TT model SL-Q200 (and I had an old Pioneer receiver SX-650), with the intent of digitizing some of my old vinyl. The ground cable is missing from the TT and without it there is a rather loud and annoying buzzing. As a test I stripped back a bit of insulation from both ends of a single piece of speaker wire and attached one end to the ground post of the receiver. The other end I just lightly "jammed" into the TT ground jack on the back of the Technics. Buzzing gone. Since this is obviously little more than a test my question is, how can I find out what size jack/connector I would need to make this more permanent? Are these things a common size, ie maybe something I could find at Radio Shack?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11781

You need a "connector" large enough to hold a piece of wire in place.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 739
Jan, hehe, yes. That I knew. I guess I was just wondering if those connectors were of a standard size so I could go and get one, not 10 in search of the correct size. I don't mind piecing it together, just wanted to avoid taking the TT in to "size" the connector.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11782

After reading your post in the "speakers" section I think I might have misunderstood what you're asking here. I don't know what sort of "jack" you have on the back of the table but most "jacks' are standardized in size and configuration. Possibly you need a 1/8" miniplug. It's imposible to tell from what you've posted. But you don't require anything other than a connection from a grounding point on the table to a grounding point on the pre amp/receiver. You can take the bottom plate off the table and run a bare wire connection from the internals of the jack to the receiver. Or you can do the same from the location where the jack gets its feed. All you need is a simple wire from one ground point to another.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 740
Ok, thanks Jan. I'll see if I have anything laying around the house that fits the bill. If not, I'll do what you suggest and remove the bottom plate. Thanks again.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 742
All set, soldered wire. Thanks Jan!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us