Help!!!... Buzz coming from turntable listening at higher volume

Username: Narkota

RigaLatvia

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

May be some of you can help me to fix the problem. I recently bought a Pro-Ject DebutIII/Phono SB turntable with already built-in phono preamp and speedbox. Everything works fine while listening at volume level 5-6 out of 10. When I am starting to turn volume louder the speakers starting to buzz and this is very annoying.
May be this can help: As the turntable already have built-in phono preamp I have connected it straight to receiver. Ough .. together with phono plugs which come out from turntabale's phono box there is a ground wire which is not connected because there is no possibilities to connect ground wire to receiver and I left it hanging. Can this be a reason for buzzing???

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9267
GK, if the ground was an issue, I think you would have noise issues at all output levels.
Sounds like microphonics to me.
Have a look at the placement of your table. Is it exposed to the sound waves in the room directly?
How is the table supported?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5666
You need to connect the ground wire...use a screw on the receiver as long as it connects the ground wire to the metal case of the receiver. Or you can use a screw on the rack...whatever just connect the ground and see where you stand.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2288
"...there is a ground wire which is not connected because there is no possibilities to connect ground wire to receiver and I left it hanging. Can this be a reason for buzzing???"

This is the exact reason why. Turntables need to be grounded. The RCAs and power plug won't do it.

Loosen a screw on the back of the chasis of your receiver, attach the ground wire, then tighten it back up.

Nuck's advice also helps, but that's not the real issue here.

RigaLatvia

Post Number: 2
Nuck,I have placed my turntable just on the simple wooden table. On previous message I forgot to tell, that the buzzing on higher volume level appears even vinyl is not rotating and tonearm sit on its place.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2289
Posts crossed Art.

RigaLatvia

Post Number: 3
Thaks Stu, I will definatelly try your suggestion, but one more question - Is it safe? I mean if there's no special places to connect ground wire to receiver won't this can do any short circuit???

Gold Member

Post Number: 9270
OK, so now we get to the real issue.
Just like the guys say, use the ground.
Yes it is safe.
Alternatively, you can ground the wire to the screw that holds the cover plate of the wall recepticle in place.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9271
You can also make a 'lasso' on the ground and loop it around the rca of the receiver, then plant it with the rca push in.

RigaLatvia

Post Number: 4
Thanks!

Will try one of those issues. Hope that will help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us