Upgrading speakers...Any suggestions?

Username: Dbnh77

NH USA

Post Number: 1
I have a NAD T763 and Paradigm Monitor 7's for the two front channels.

I am going to be able to upgrade these soon and my budget is right around 1500 - 1800.

I have always loved the pairing NAD & Paradigm. I find it to a little warm and laid back....not overly bright...which I don't care for.

So I am considering Paradigm Studio 60's. Anyone heard these? What do you think?

Any other recomendations in that price range to go with NAD?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5663
Sounds like a winner. If you like the NAD/Paradigm combo, then the Studio 60's will be even more to love.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2282
Just make sure the T763 has enough power to drive them sufficiently. The Studio 60s aren't an easy load for an amplifier.

Does you dealer have an NAD receiver you could hear them on before you commit to buying?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1517
Nothing wrong with Paradigm, but if you want my opinion, Monitor Audio & NAD make a great couple. Look at the Monitor Audio RS8, a four-way, which I feel is an upgrade over the Studio 60 three-way. The RS6 is MA's Silver Series three-way. In either case you'll wind up keeping some $ in your pocket too, I think?

Also, the MA's are real wood veneer vs. Paradigm's vinyl.

NH USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice. it's much appreciated.

Christopher, what is it exactly about the RS* that you feel is better than the Studio 60?

NH USA

Post Number: 3
That should have been RS8.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 742
Dana- I love the Studio 60's. And have heard them on a T763. They sound great. The T763 will power them well, but if it can meet your budget, tell the dealer to add the C272. It will help breathe some life into the 60's, trust me.

I also like Chris's Rec. My dealer carries all three, NAD, Paradigm and MA. He demo's the MA's very often on the NAD stuff and they do sound good. In Canada the MA RS8's are 500 dollars more than the studio 60's. Might be different in the US of A.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
http://www.hifitrader.com/dbprogram6.php?id=5424&iframetype=none

The RS8 is, as I said, a four-way, real-wood, have better build quality, image better, and have better bass separation, IMHO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 745
Than the Studi0 60's? hmmmmmm its a close call. The RS8's would hot smash anything in the monitor series. But the studio 60's would be a close call. But IMHO I would probably choose the RS8's as well. I really like the RS6's for the money. Their 500 dollars cheaper than the 60's, sound just as good, and would allow you to add a power amp and stay near the same price range.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 555
Dana,

I responded to your mail but it got kicked back to me.

I should probably post a follow-up in my original thread re: the damaged mid drivers.

I trashed a total of 3 mid drivers on my Studio 60's. Shredded. But, with a little help from my dealer I ended up with new mid's that were all manufactured in April of 07. The ones I trashed were from Dec of 06 (or something like that. I forget the details. But the dates should be documented in the original thread).

I have not had any problems since and I am now messing around with the problems of my room. But the speakers have recently sent chills down my spine while listening. I would buy them again.

The others here would be able to tell you if your NAD will properly drive them. I don't know.

Good luck in your search. Listen to them (and others) with your receiver, if you can, before you decide. If you like the 7's, the 60's will not disappoint!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1519
While the RS6 may "sound just as good" as the RS8, that's not to say they sound the same, agreed?

I'm fairly certain the RS8 will stand out in both low-level listening & big full-room sound, it's an air thing.

The Studio 60 & RS6 is a fairer fight, but given the roughly $700+ price difference between the two, I think the choice would be pretty clear to me.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/

NH USA

Post Number: 4
I appreciate all the feedback.

There is a dealer in my area who carries MA, Paradigm and PSB. So I can probably get him to let me hear speakers in my price range from these three manufactures with my NAD before making my decision.

I have only heard one pair of PSBs. A couple of years back I heard a pair of Images..not sure which model, but I rmember thinking they sounded pretty similiar to Paradigm and I liked them. I have never heard any MAs but plan on listing to the RS8's before making my decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Chris- "While the RS6 may "sound just as good" as the RS8, that's not to say they sound the same, agreed?" - What I meant was the RS6's sound as good as the Paradigm Studio 60's and for less money. Being the better buy in my opinion. Sorry my wording was a little off.

Dana- Good choice.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9259
Hmm, the rs8's.
I have a pair of rs8 silver i's, here, alongside PSB silver as well.

A few thoughts.

First, the MA's play much easier than the PSB's.
Simpler load, more capacitive in the bass, never tax an amp.
The same can not be said of the PSB's which are hogs.
The T45-T55 PSB's are more forgiving, although underpowering them will get the expected results.

The Studio 60's. The last time I heard them was on Stryvn's kit, and they did not dissapoint.
The Rotel/Paradigm 60 pair are more than willing,have excellent timing and give pretty much all you could want for RnR.

The MA's have a certain quality about them that is hard to pin down. They radiatethe sound in a way that others do not.
Although rated at 34 Hz, I have never gotten that from them. But truth be told, I never wanted any more. These speakers are more coherent and quick than they should be, what with the multiple drivers. But they work pretty darn good with the 200 wpc amp.
In fact, tomorrow I will line up the best parts and wires, and run them with the 300wpc amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1520
Nuck, those S8i are a generation or two old, right?

I think you hit the nail on the head with your description, "The MA's have a certain quality about them that is hard to pin down. They radiate the sound in a way that others do not." Very true.

I know I harp on this a bit, but I really can't stress enough the superior fit & finish of the MA. It's hard to imagine that there are now two series above the Silver Series, the Gold & Platinum, given the fact that upon inspection the new Silver Series looks to be better than just about any other mass-manufacturer's premium line, in my humble estimation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9262
Yup, 2 or so, CM.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1524
I spent the morning auditioning the Paradigm Studio 20, 40, and 60 v.4 Series at a soon to be out-of-business hi-fi shop in Lindenhurst, NY.

As to be expected the Studio 60 was the stand-out and does everything right, with the expansive sort of sound you would expect for a speaker this size, shape & price, which was discounted down to $1600 for the floor-models from the normal retail price of $1900(!). The 40 was similar is the overall scale of the sound but there was some notable midrange congestion, and bass was not nearly are broad. Now maybe it's just me, but for the second time, I've been less impressed with the Studio 20 v.4 than I was with it in the past. For certain, my ear has changed (I hope for the better) since I was first blown away by the v.3, but today it just does not appeal to me the way it once did.

For certain, my ear had changed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9287
Friends, countrymen, lend me CM's ears

NH USA

Post Number: 8
I'm thinking of getting the studio 100's now. The dealer is going to give me 10% off retail and I figure I can get around $300 for my Monitor 7's. That would bring it to right around $2000 for a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's.

I might go listen to them tonight if the black friday traffic isn't too bad.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1526
I still would encourage you to do some side by listening with the RS8 if you can.

Make sure to check back with your impressions.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 866
The RS8 Sivler Si's can perform eloquently with low power levels, yet can stand up to some heavy pushes from the source / amp. I ran mine with an Adcom 5200 at 50 at 50 wpc to a Carver M-4.0t, which was rated at 400wpc. They never complained.

Dana, what do you listen to?

I would not espouse the MAs for metal or rap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1527
I'm curious, what speaker would one recommend for Metal or Rap? Cerwin-Vega! is the only manufacturer that comes to mind. Perhaps I'm naive, and I know the occasional metal or rap tune might find it's way into ones rotation from time to time, but is there really a sizable Audiophile Metal/Rap clientele out there?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1528
Here a quick review of the Monitor Audio Silver 8i, http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/1203.html , however this is not the the shiny new RS8.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.areadvd.de/hardwa re/monitor_audio_silver_rs8.shtml&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/sea rch%3Fq%3Dmonitor%2Baudio%2Brs8%26start%3D30%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGIH_enUS211US 212%26sa%3DN

This translated review was the best I could do.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 868
CM, as Nuck indicated the MA RS9 Si's hardly reach down to 34hz. Music that is attacking and heavy is not what these speakers shine at.

My Gallos handle it but I suspect that Metal and Rap would sound better on something quicker, IMO. I think mostly auto-audiophile gear, or club systems are the preferred venue for a lot of this music. And before the b!tchin' starts, I listen to my share of metal and enjoy it, but I don't hear a lot of Diana Krall blaring at me from someone who pulls up next to me at a street light.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1529
I don't doubt what your saying, MA states the RS8 play down to 33hz, the Paradigm Studio 100 28hz, but once again I'm going to stress that the MA Silver 8i are not the MA RS8, however similar they may seem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1530
I live in NYC, and the only music I hear blaring from cars usual isn't in any language I understand.

NH USA

Post Number: 9
The dealer who carries MA in my area does not have a storefront and is hard to get a hold of. I pulled the trigger on the Studio 100's this evening.

I listen to all kinds of music from Beethoven to Garth Brooks to Cat Stevens to Clannad to Sam Cooke.

Although there are some bands/singers I just can't stand. I hate the f-ing Beach Boys and John Mayer's music wants to make me climb up in a tower with a gun and start shooting.

I listen to some RAP..not much metal at all though. Having owned the Paradigm Monitor 7's for a year and a half now I found they do very well with RAP and expect that the Studio 100's will do better with Rap and every other kind of music.

I'm picking them up next Friday. Can't wait.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1532
Congratulations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1533
I'll tell you something, it's getting almost impossible to make an informed decision these days in regards to Hi-Fi.

As I mentioned, today I visited a good-old hi-Fi shop called AudioVision in Long Island, NY. The shop has been in business for 26-yrs. and the owner is calling it a day. They had a ton of Paradigm, Thiel, Rotel, Bryson, and Denon on display; it's sad to see a place like that bite the dust.

B&W is still fairly well represented in NYC, but as for other British speakers, times are pretty tough. Monitor Audio is virtually impossible to track-down, and brands like Wharfedale & Mission are absent from the marketplace all together.

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
I am 30 minutes driving distance from 3 dealers that carry MOnitor Audio and Paradigm. Life is grand. But I do know where Chris is coming from. Congrats Dana on the purchase. The 100's are a very nice speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9295
And your credit card went dry cause...?

Silver Member

Post Number: 754

Silver Member

Post Number: 755
I havnt had to use that thing in a long time...hmmm Nuck your giving me idea's here.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 560
Congrat's Dana. Please post a follow up with your thoughts on the 100's, huh?

Side note - I would rather listen to a dentist drill away at my teeth all day long with a dremel than the Beach Boys. Hands down, worst band in the history of recorded sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1535
Nick, what neck of the woods are you from?

Bronze Member

NH USA

Post Number: 11
I'll defintely be posting on the 100's as I spend more time with them.

I'm glad someone else hates the beach boys as much as I do. I usually get "aww why do you hate them they're a great band."

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 872
The Beach Boys were great before the become great. Once they became great they sucked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1536
Kind of like Millie Vanilli.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9298
ouch

Silver Member

Post Number: 759
Chris-Kingston Ont. Canada. My dealer is in Belleville, who I am life friends with a few of their employees. They carry both Paradigm and Monitor Audio. So I am lucky in that regard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
When I separate my Home theater system with a separate two channel system, my choice of speaker will be MA Gold series.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1539
ahh, that explains it.

Within 30-min. of my house, I can find several dozen Santa Ria candle & statue shops, "grocery" shops that sell live baby goats & live frogs out of buckets, and very popular greencards-r-us stores with signs in what looks to be ancient sanskrit.

A beautiful melting pot we have here south of your boarder.

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSpj_ggsedI

Here is a NAD/MA RS8 setup. Sounds pretty good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1540
Neat bunch of vids you found there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1541
cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHMXkOz4kA&feature=related

Silver Member

Post Number: 762
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8tdrx_aDQ&feature=related

Silver Member

Post Number: 763
That little 521bee cd player is the one I had before the Apollo. Sounds better with that kind of music though.lol.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2290
Chris,

The problem with NYC (well, one of the problems anyway) is that they don't have too many shops that carry good mid level stuff. Its either $50k and up systems, or the shady stores that carry Panasonic, Toshiba, and Magnavox.

Some of the shops will carry one mid level line, but usually will only have on set up on display.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1543
All too true, and it's too bad, because mid-fi is where it's at.

...is Magnavox still in business?

Silver Member

Post Number: 765
lol yup. Circuit City sell the good ol Magnavox. Thats where its at.lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us