B&W floor stands - STAV24 or D61S?

Bronze Member
Username: Baldeagle

Michigan USA

Post Number: 65
Hi guys, Which floor stand is better for B&W 685? STAV24 or D61S? I have looked on the web quite a bit, but I don't see a picture of either of them. The price seems to be the same, though.

Regards
BE

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11752

What's the difference between the two stands?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9230
Throw in a couple of links, BE.

Is one mass loaded and the other not?
Which pair do the local dealer demo with?

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 66
Exactly my problem guys... I have NO CLUE! I was hoping that someone would know. The local dealer does not have either one of these. He has the higher end aluminum color $350/pair version.

Nonetheless, I found this from http://www.accesswave.ca/~audioplanet/fam_acces.html. There is a picture as well.
STA24: sold at $100/pair
These 24 inch high stands are the perfect match for B&W 601 and B&W 705 speakers. They are made of 1/8 inch thick steel consisting of two hollow rectangular tubes and a top and bottom plate. The tubes can be sand filled for mass loading and the plates have adjustable spike feet on the bottom and points on the top for leveling and vibration isolation. When sanded filled, each stand weighs approximately 40 lbs or 18 kg. Finish is a durable black powder coat.

But I don't see D61S anywhere on the web; except for various sites that sell the stand for $100/pair.

This one dealer thinks that I would be OK with a D61S. I just want to make a more educated decision. I could not find info on the B&W website!

Regards
BE

Gold Member

Post Number: 9235
Just on a lark, BE, maybe email B&W and ask them?
Or maybe a toll free # from where you are?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11755

A more educated decision?!!!

Hell, the ad says the stands are the perfect match for the speakers. What more do you want?

Honestly, guy, I don't believe any of us are experts at which specific stand extracts the most information from which particular speaker. Your dealer says you'll be OK with the one stand you chose. Why the hell not trust that recommendation? This is not life and death, for crimeny sakes.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 67
Of course, Nuck... Should try that.

Jan... I am what they call me... A-retentive... about researching something to death before buying. So, even something as insignificant as stands come up for my attention

Gold Member

Post Number: 9238
Hey, BE, did you turn off the iron before you left?

Have a nice day, hehehe.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2524
The STA24 looks good value at $100/pair provided they're reasonably well made. I would NOT fill them to the top. I think they'd be far too heavy and deaden the sound too much. I would start by filling them just 1/3rd of the way and see how I get on.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 68
Nuck, just for you buddy... I not only turn off the iron, but I return home 1 mile after I leave home - just to make sure I shut the garage door .

Frank, thanks for the info, my man. The STA24 is made by B&W. So I am confused about "provided they're made reasonably well" comment. Anyway, I will try your recommendation of 1/3 fill-up. Do I buy regular sand or this special (no salt, etc.) sand that people advertise? More importantly, where can I see a picture/specs of D61S stand?

QUESTION: My 686 pair don't have screw holes on the bottom. Shouldn't they be screwed on to the stands? Or do the speakers just sit on the stands without being anchored?

Regards
BE

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2253
Without being anchored. Use some Blu Tac. Its kind of like silly putty.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1500
Does it come in a plastic egg?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2526
BE

I must admit I'm confused here. I didn't know B&W make the STA24, nor do the stands appear on their website. The only stands I know of are the ones which screw into the base of the 68x speakers which are on the site (although I can't for the life of me find what they're called on there). Those ones work well obviously, but I believe they're a lot more money (£200/pair, so possibly $300/pair on your side of the pond).

You say the 686s don't have screw-in bases? I'd have to check mine, which I can't do today. If they don't screw in, the time-honoured application is blutac. Put a small blob about the size of a pea at each corner and settle the speaker in place. Do not use too much blutac as it doesn't help. You want to just couple the speaker to the stand.

The sand we recommend is playpit sand that you buy from most kids' stores. Ensure it's dry when you fill the stand as otherwise it can rust the stand from the inside.

More expensive solutions are things like Attabytes. These are almost like iron chips which interlock well. A small tub is not cheap, but very heavy thanks to the density of the attabytes. This helps keep the centre of gravity as low as possible without filling the entire column. I think half a tub per stand would suffice, but I'm not sure about this. Sand is cheaper and allows you to gauge results more easily I feel, but attabytes do work very well, possibly better, thanks to their density.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 69
Frank: Thanks for the explanation. Blu-Tack is sold as Bluestik here in the US at Joann Fabrics. I'll work with that.

Nuck: I emailed B&W UK... the US guys wouldn't respond.... they said that D61S is not made by them; so they cannot respond, but the STAV24 is a B&W product, though it is discontinued. Furthermore, the B&W rep asked me to look at "Partington" for a value-for-the-money floor stand.

I am sticking with STAV24.

Regards
BE

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2532
BE That makes sense! I thought I recognised the STAV24. If you can get them for the price you mentioned they should be a good deal. However, bear in mind that since they're discontinued, they may not have any stock left.

I deal with Partington and he does make excellent stands but not at that price...

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Scorpio1

Post Number: 7
Frank- Can you recommend someone in the US who sells the Partington stand, or are they only ordered direct through their website?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2537
Ed, sorry no idea. If you get in touch with Pete Partington he'll let you know the score. Pete's a good man. What happened to the STAV24s? Out of stock?

Alternatively aren't there some American stands manufacturers???

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 8
Frank- Not sure if matching speakers stand make a difference. But I looked at the matching Focal s800V stand for $325 and also found Wood Technology TMT24s for $99.

My question is it necessary to worry so much about stands that much?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9250
Well, some at least Ed.
If the speakers work best fully coupled to the stand/ground (or isolated and supported only) then no.
If you know how the speakers are widely recommended to mount already, then maybe.

If you are having fun, who cares?

Post Number: 10
I must admit the stands do give the speaker a sexy and appealing look if there is such a thing.

My assumption was that the speakers could be secured with screws to Focal stands for security.

If matching stands are more of a marketing hype, then I can save some money and use it for some other equipment (upgrading CD player). I must admit it is fun listening to my new speakers.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2542
Ed,

Stands clearly do have an effect on performance. However, each speaker is different and some stands work better with speakers than others. For example, a Partington Super Dreadnought stand is a medium mass stand which works really well under most speakers such as Dynaudio 42s, 52s FOCUS 110s. However, the 110s are actually better on the cheaper Partington Trophy stand. Yet the cheaper 52s are better on the more expensive Super Dreadnought. None of these three work particularly well on top of the more expensive Partington Broadside.

It takes a good dealer to advise you appropriately.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9255
Ed, if you can gather a concensus on how the speakers are best mounted, mass loaded, isolated, suspended even, then you can decide on the look that is best for you.
I don't know the general rec for your speakers, but if the masses agree, then you might find a better, and most attractive way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us