Proac Response 1SC v.s. 140 Monitors

Username: Dohgrant

Post Number: 2
Proac Response 1SC v.s. 140 Monitors: sure, one's a floorstanding speaker and the other more of a bookshelf. But that issue aside, is the 140 a clear advance over the older 1SCs?

Anyone ever compared them?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5633
For what?

The 1SC sounds better than the Monitor 140 in the purest sense, but I'd rather play Zep on the 140's. Your purpose, source, amplification and so on and so forth for something other than a "stab in the dark" answer.

Post Number: 3
A little context. I heard the SC1s about 6 years ago, when I was thinking of replacing my aging kef104s. They blew me away, but I never got around to purchasing them. Jazz and a lot of solo voice is what I listen to. Anyhow, I'm in the market now for something to put into my 13 by 20 living room. I figured that the 140s might just be a more accurate speaker, simply because they are (presumably) based on new technology. But I can't listen to the 140s in Toronto; nobody stocks them.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5637
The 1SC will be the more accurate and will suit your listening better than the 140's. I owned a set of the latest Proac Studio's and they are very good but the 1SC is in a different league. Keep in ming that they don't do much bass so a good sub may be needed...depends on your listening music and sound preferences.

Post Number: 4
Yes, Art, you've confirmed my view of the question. I'll probably stick to the SC1, maybe even purchase a new pair. A used 2nd hand pair in mahogany is difficult to come by.

Username: Akachuckg

Post Number: 1
I have 2 pair of the 140's in my setup and they are very good. I heard the SC1's many years ago and they are very good also. I prefer towers over trying to integrate with a sub for 2 channel. The 140's have enough bass to stand on there own.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 113
The 1SC is a landmark speaker. Very highly regarded. Just because the design is a few years old I wouldn't assume a newer speaker in a different line is better. Those were a very musical, highly acclaimed speaker. I'd love to have a pair.

Post Number: 5
Folks don't easily part with them, that sure seems to be the case!

Post Number: 5
Chris, I didn't infer that the 140 is better. I also know that Proac updates their drivers as needed so the 1SC would have been updated over the years.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 116
Hey Charles, I understand you weren't saying one was necessarily better. My point was probably clumsily made, as it often is. I was really just trying to say that the 140's would need to be one heck of a speaker to match even older 1SC's. And yes, Proac has redefined the speaker over the years.

I haven't heard the 140's so I can't really comment on how they'd match up.

Post Number: 6
No problem Chris. I have not heard a Proac that wasn't very good.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 117
Yep, Proac would be on my shortlist when I look for speakers next. Reference 3a would be there as well. I was listening to their Dulcets the other day through an Antique Audio Lab integrated amp and the combo was terrific. Very nice bottom end for a small monitor. Reference 3a and AAL are sister companies under Divergent Technologies (and Canadian eh) so it's not surprising there was a nice synergy there. I could have walked away with the combo for $3000, but there's this whole xmas thing going on apparently and I hear the kids are expecting presents again this year.

The Dulcets have no crossover at all on the main driver, and only a single oil-filled capacitor on the tweeter. Interesting. I could only listen for a few songs (wife with me), but they got my toes a tappin'. Very musical.

Post Number: 6
It's a done deal. Did the 1SC for under 2500 Canadian, all in. I think (hope) that's a pretty fair price (new).

Thanks for the input. I still wanna hear the DeCapos, however.

John

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 118
I'm very envious. You won't be shopping for speakers again for a long, long time. Please let us know your impressions once you get them broken in. What will you be hooking them up to ?

Post Number: 7
Not sure what I'm driving them with, at this point. I've gotta do some research. Physical size is an issue. I need (well, she needs) something kinda small that I can hide inside our bookshelves. The bookshelves are probably only 9 inches deep! Arcam makes some pretty decent diminutive amps, I think. Also, I guess some of the tube amps can get pretty small.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us