Seeking suggestions...

Username: Jesp

New York, NY United States

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I'm a huge fan of vacuum tube sound technology, and have used an old Pioneer stereo receiver for years. It is, however, slowly dying (there's a lot of interference with the radio receiver, and other components don't work with it any more). I've already repaired it several times, and so it seems like it's time to say goodbye. I am, in fact, prepared to do a full overhaul of my stereo (provided it doesn't land me in the poor house), and am seeking recommendations -- starting w/ receivers I suppose, but I could explore other related components. I'd ideally like to retain that smooth tube sound, and at the risk of being an apostate, would like to combine it w/ a system that would enable me to use a remote for the volume and other components like a CD player). It would just make my work life immeasurably easier). I would therefore welcome any suggestions...

Thanks so much.

Best,

JESP

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1458
Let's see what we can do.

What's your budget?

Post Number: 2
Oh, I don't know... Somewhere in the range of $1000, save for the cassette deck and turntable...though that might have to go as well (and I'll get a new CD player later). I'd like to increase the amount and might be able to do so, but my budget is constrained at present.

Thanks so much for your help!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2496
joshua,

Since it appears you're into electronics, have you considered building a kit amplifier? I have heard Audio Note's entry level kit amps on occasion and been very impressed. Since they're tube-based you'll get your glowing bottle kick too. Not sure about budget though...

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Noway

Post Number: 7
I recently got a Harman Kardon 3485 receiver new for $229. My other amp is a tube Antique Sound Labs AQ-1003DT. After using the HK for about a month I am having a hard time deciding whether to keep both of them or just keep the Harman Kardon. It's the only transistor amp I've owned in a long time that I haven't found dry and uninvolving. Plenty of power for most speakers, dirt cheap, good looking and includes a tuner and remote.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1481
I'm stll not entirely sure what your looking for?

I have a newly purchased HK3485 too, so I can tell you it's quite good, it's fairly uncolored and packs a lot of punch for the money, but to my ear it's not as dynamic as some of the entry-level models from NAD, and not as cohesive & warm as some of the Marantz receivers (in Source Direct mode).

Also, the remote on the HK is perhaps the worst I've come across, and is NOT easily replaced due to some of the peculiarities of the HK remote, very frustrating.

Post Number: 3
Just looking for a good, solid receiver that has that smooth tube sound. Like I said, I'd love to have some remote control for it, but don't mind going vintage as well. I've been told that getting a good digital receiver and interfacing it w/ a tube amp is another viable alternative. Anyway, I'm happy to explore a range of options...

Thanks again for all of your input!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us