Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1440
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=930507

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2226
Is it just me, or...

Does no one over there care about music?

Does everyone have the 'internet-direct speakers are so much better than ANYTHING else' mentality?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Post Number: 1441
This jerk over at AVS has over 3500 post and is some sort of "Special Member" and this is the level of discourse.

I need an objective opinion.

How does that thread read?

My blood is boiling at this point and I can't see straight.

I'm sick of self-righteous pompous know-it-alls that thinly veil they're condescension & belittling, and when you wind up calling them out and/or blowing a fuse, they run & call a cop or a lawyer, or in this case a webmaster.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9066
If speakers are good for music, then HT will be a snap.

Well, no and no.

Given the headroom necessary for movie booms, and the long pauses for center channel dialogue in between, along with the dedication of frequencies to certain channels, it is quite UNlikely that great musical speakers would do an action movie justice.

Perhaps 'Pride and Prejudice' or 'The English Patient' with more musicality and balance in delivery, OK yes.
Independance Day... not so much.

Somebody there suggested a 2.1 (not what the OP asked for), but I would, and have, suggested the same thing.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1117
I posted my thoughts on the thread.

If you want my advise, I'd just say let it go. It's never good to let yourself get dragged down like that.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1118
FWIW though, I do generally dislike AVS because of the Internet Direct biases, and the intense flavor of the month syndrome that afflicts many members there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1442
That's because you get it Nuck, and one of the reasons I've abandoned 5.1.

And it's also the reason I went on to endorse C-V! as a good HT only choice (don't laugh). I'm sure the X-LS is fantastic for HT, but from everything I gather it's better adept at music, and are best driven by warmer more laid-back electronics than Onkyo.

But the OP wanted a 7.1 set-up for under $500, and the Primus came in under budget, it's a good choice everything considered.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1445
Thanks Stephen. That's good advice.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 663
The guy's name is Nuance....as in he actually thinks Nuance is anything but the biggest rip off in audio history? The worse speaker I have ever heard that cost 10 grand? The disgrace to all Canadian audio companies...Nuance. Oh that guy...yeah, well based on his name alone the guy doesn't know sh!t.

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 78
Hi Christopher, for some reason we do tend to value the options of those whose opinions we do not value. It's odd. We don't care for the person, but we care about what they think of us and our opinions. We must, or we wouldn't have an emotional response to it.

These forums are full of all types of people. There is no way of knowing why it is so important for them to be more "right" than you. But for many of us it is still difficult to leave them to their thoughts, as it feels like we're admitting some sort of defeat if we do not continue to argue, especially if they have singled you out and directly ridiculed something you have typed. Or, that is what you preceive they have done. The typed word is very easy to misinterpret.

Don't allow them to take the enjoyment of your hobby from you.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 985
I abandoned 5.1 quite a while ago. My interest lies in music and music only.

I do have a universal player I picked up several months ago, but I know several artists that I like produce stereo SACDs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1446
Chris,

It's a classic case of The Smartest Guy In The Room Syndrome, which is easy enough to confront if indeed you are in the same room, but on the web it's an entirely different dynamic.

A menacing, or dare I say threatening, glare often polices these self aggrandized pseudo-fascist, into choosing their words more cautiously than they might on a web board. Name calling doesn't quite serve the same purpose, but it's a bit more prudent than throwing your laptop across the room.

The rules on some of these web boards is kind of like the new guidelines MLB has regarding throwing at batters; the first team gets a free shot, then there's a warning by the umps, if the other team retaliates, that team's manager & pitcher gets tossed.

Not exactly what I would call fair.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 79
Perhaps not. But it is what it is. And if you get kicked out of the game the other guy is happy. If you stay in the game, you still get to hit....just not them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1447
That makes too much sense.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2145
This jerk over at AVS has over 3500 post and is some sort of "Special Member" and this is the level of discourse.

Par for the course. Ecoustics has one too.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 538
But you only have 2145 posts Peter.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 2147
Good one!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11678

right off the damn chair!!!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 2148
He who must not be named posted...

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 622
I do wonder if theres other forums as insane as ours.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 2150
I actually like AVS most of the time. Science is a good thing over there; they even have it in the name!

The Klipsch forum is a very nice place 99% of the time. Very helpful people and no big egos.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1450
Well it looks as if I have indeed been tossed off the AVS board for 2-weeks.

No big loss, although I did find their owners threads useful.

I've contributed quite a few post here, there, and elsewhere over the past few years, and have never had an episode like this.

I'm really trying to let it go.

I am.

Yes, I am.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 2151
The banning seemed fairly quick and ruthless. No warning or anything. No warning given to the other guy either, so he gets off free and pretends he's a nice guy afterwards. Seems like uneven treatment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1452
I expected a warning & perhaps a suspension after the way this thing went. I'm not surprised a "Special Member" was able to call in a favor.

The nice guy act (a technique perfected by persons his ilk) is what's maddening. His lackeys chiming in and calling me a "total dick" isn't too comforting ether.

Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 1
"This jerk over at AVS has over 3500 post and is some sort of "Special Member" and this is the level of discourse.

Par for the course. Ecoustics has one too."

Amen to that, Peter. More than one, unfortunately.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1453
Care to list them by name?

...I smell a bomb thrower.

One post, can it be we've met before?

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
New name Wiley?

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 82
Looks like this thread is going to look like the thread linked in the original post. How ironic. So, who's up for a good banning ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1454
Chris,

I do get where you're coming from, and I appreciate your calming words, but there are certain characters that, for lack of a better description, are "bomb throwers". They level criticisms, make ridiculous claims, engage in a pissing-match (often, not unlike the one I recently took part in), disappear, only to reappear under a new alias and start all over again.

It does get tiresome.

I have never, and will never request a banning, save for the truly obscene.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1455
Onward & upward.

Chris, I see your have an NAD A/V receiver with some CBM-170 in 2-CH; did you start off with HT and graduate to 2-CH or is HT still in your future?

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 83
Nah. I actually thought when I bought the NAD receiver that I would go to an HT setup, but I've since decided I'm a 2 channel guy. When funds allow the a/v receiver will get replaced with a 2 channel integrated amp or pre/power.

However, I can't complain too much about the NAD. It's worked perfectly since I got it, and it sounds decent enough. I've just heard so much better, and now I've got the bug.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1456
Yeah, NAD rarely disappoints. Have you listened to their Master Series?

I'm a recovering HT'er, although I may jump off the wagon when the circumstances permit.

What are you saving up for?

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 84
I haven't decided. I'm still shopping. Probably up a notch from NAD if I can manage it. I haven't heard their Master Series though, so I suppose I shouldn't pre-judge.

I'm going to listen to as much as I can before locking in on a short-list.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1457
The NAD Master Series is a considerable notch up from NAD other models, IMHO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 671
Oh yeah, I agree with Christopher, if you are considering a Notch up from NAD, listen to their Masters series. Its about 2 Notches up. Easily.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 85
I'll give it a listen. I'm also going to check into the I-3 from Simaudio. An I-1 is due out anytime as well which would be worth a look. Lots of other options available locally now as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9081
Ahh Chris, the Sim.
I have been dying to see some reviews on that one.
It could be the low powered match to Naim.

That could be quite a reach, but Simaudio is not without recources.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 86
I have no doubt it will be a fine unit Nuck. They have also incorporated a small jack in the front for connecting an ipod or other mp3 player. If it's even in the vacinity of the quality of other moon components it will be a very musical piece. The question is, how close will it be.

In the $1500 price range there is a lot of competition in integrated amps. Rega, Naim, NAD, Bel Canto, Roskan, Creek, Simaudio, CA, Arcam, and Antique Sound Lab are all available to me in 3 local dealers.

Something else I'll definately consider is the Channel Island D-100 monoblocks with one of their passive pre-amps. I love the DAC I have from them and I've read nothing but great things about their amplification components. I can do the monoblock and a passive pre-amp for under $2000. The only issue with CI Audio is it's internet only, so I'd have to order and take advantage of their 30-day in-home trial, and risk being out the shipping if it doesn't work out.

It will be fun working through the options.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 87
Just a quick look, and the NAD M3 is probably a bit out of my ideal price range at around $2800 cdn. It would have to sound better than the Moon I-3 and almost to the I-5 to warrant that investment. I'll audition it anyway just to see how impressive it really is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9086
Did I read it wrong, or is the player/IA combo that price?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9087
BTW, I hang at ecoustics cause nobody else will listen to me...too nerdy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 672
I think the IA is 1500 and the Player is also 1500. So 3 grand for the combo. I could be wrong though.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 88
According to the reviews I've read, including this one...

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/107nad/

it's $2799 for the IA.

Silver Member

Post Number: 673
I was talkin about the Sim audio combo coming. Sorry. Yeah the NAD M3 is the price Cris said.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 241
avsforum is relatively new to audio believe it or not, and the speaker section as well as the dedicated CD/turntable area were more recently added.

It remains pretty darn good for display technologies I find. I don't go into the speaker area much personally. The subwoofer area has been excellent but folks tend to really fight in that particular topic forum.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2234
The Simaudio gear is $1500 per piece. I got the pricing from Music Direct's website. I don't think it's released yet. Should definitely be worth a listen.

There are a lot of good integrateds out there for $1500. I hate to say it, but the NAD M3 doesn't match up well against some of them, at least to my ears. It seems built well, has good features, and a lot of power, but it falls far short of a lot of stuff from a musicallity perspective to my ears.

I'd take Bryston, Naim, Rega, Creek, Simaudio, Arcam, and Roksan integrateds over the M3 any day. Some of them are less than half the price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9094
The city dealer here has had a few returns on the NAD M's.
Didn't stack up is what he said.

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
yeah I agree with Stu, although to my ears the M3 sounds "good" for the price you can get better. I just heard a Rega Cursa on a pair of MOnitor Audio RS8's which I have heard the M3 on before. Although a lot less power the Rega Cursa sounds much better, by separating the instruments, creating a accurate sound stage and throwing more detail. Im really becoming a fan of Rega, specially now that my dealer carries it and its very easy for me to access. And the fact that my Apollo is totally re-creating my whole music experience all by itself says something.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11692

"Although a lot less power the Rega Cursa sounds much better, by separating the instruments, creating a accurate sound stage and throwing more detail."

Do you really want anything "thrown" at you while you're listening to music? You'll need speakers with a really, really wide sweet spot if that's the case cause you'll be duckin' an' weavin'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 679
LOL Jan- just my slang talk. Im sure you know what I meant. "YOu can hear more detail in the music". There fixed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9103
And steppin' and fetchin'.
Like a live Ashley McCaisic concert, when the fiddle IS literally thrown at you.
That show was as in your face as East Coast fiddle can be.
If carried over to cd, that qualifies as quality thrown stuff.

Jan, I think a couple of AM's songs were on that beer promo cd that I sent you.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 91
If I get a chance today at lunch I'll swing by the local Simaudio dealer and see if they have an ETA on the I-1 and matching cdp.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11699

"just my slang talk. Im sure you know what I meant. "YOu can hear more detail in the music". There fixed."

In this case, possibly that's true. But I've sat in front of systems that had me bobbin' and weavin' because of all the stuff that was being thrown at me by the system. There's such a thing as too much! I don't hear 80% of that stuff when I listen to live music. You get that when the mics are two inches from the performer and the system/speakers emphasize the wrong things IMO.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 993
they must sit around and ma$turbate at the very thought of someone else buying an internet direct speaker. I have never understood the mentality that goes on over there.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 994
not that all ID speakers are bad, but DAMN...it seems like almost all the suggestions that get tossed out over there are for ID companies.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 92
There are some excellent Internet Direct products, at great prices. But there are some additional hazards/risks to manage in ID buying, that's for sure.

Buying locally is a good thing for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is you get to touch/see/hear before you put money up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 682
Jan- thats interesting, I will keep that in mind.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1467
AV123 is making some fantastic sounding, beautiful looking speakers, at almost silly prices (Thanks largely to third-world labor, welcome to 21st century America).

Everyone wants to like what they buy, but for some reason ID customers take it to another level, IMO, it really is something to behold.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 93
So I just swung by the local Simaudio dealer and they already have the i-1 in the showroom. However they are still waiting on the matching cdp.

Their initial impressions are very good (of course). It apparently compares very favourably to the i-3. They claim the i-3 maintains a little more delicacy, however they said the i-1 seemed to have more dynamics, where the i-3 seems almost polite. Price tag....$1,495. It was sitting on top of an i-3, and the dimensions look identical. It just didn't have the heat sinks on the side. The remote was plastic and a little cheesy, but the amp itself seemed very solid, easily wieghing as much as my NAD receiver, I think a little more.

I only had time for a brief audition, but it sounded darn good paired up to the Eclipse player, and a pair of JM Labs speakers. It seemed very punchy in the bass, with lots of weight...and no boom. The track I was listening to had a wild cymbal ride, and it handled it beautifully.

A home audition will be in order for sure. And, like every other piece of Simaudio equipment, a 10 year warranty.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2485
Christopher,

FWIW, and possibly at the risk of setting a hornets' nest buzzing, I'm not surprised you got suspended. Quite frankly (pun intended), if it hadn't been you who directed us at the thread, I'd have thought someone was trying to give you a bad name, or it was another Christopher Molloy.

I've never seen you descend to name calling and antagonistic behaviour before, and I really can't understand why it happened. So from my unbiased point of view, your posts were deserving of the suspension, especially as they appeared to be escalating rather than settling.

Sorry, but you asked.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1468
Frank,

No, it was me.

Don't be sorry, I can see how someone can come to that conclusion, and I don't have a problem with your opinion, so I don't think anyone else should either.

And while it's true that I was the first to resort to actual name calling, I feel it was a sort of visceral response to some real (or perceived) condescending comments made by that other member.

The "I'll even do the math for you" & "who are you..." comments in particular rubbed me the wrong way, and the scorecard tally didn't really help the matter either.

Up to that point, I don't think my comments were personal, insulting, or antagonistic at all. It was the same sort of discussion & discourse I've had dozens & dozens of times here, there, and elsewhere.

P.S. From the OP:

" I am probably the least of an audiophile around here. I went ahead and listened to some speakers yesterday at BB and CC. Surprisingly(sp*) I found myself quite satisfied with some $100/pair speaker that they had at CC and BB. There is no doubt to me that these online vendor speakers are better, but as I thought more and more about them, I could not see myself spending $500 on speakers I have not first previewed."

This is more or less what I expected. CM

Post Number: 2
AVS is considerably more informative than Ecoustics has become, what with certain posters monopolizing the discourse and criticizing those who disagree with there dictatorial pronouncements.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1473
How would you know that with only two post?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2243
By being kicked out and registering a new name.

Its been a little too quiet the last 2 weeks or so.

Welcome back Dale.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 494
Man, some peoples childhoods must've really sucked.

Post Number: 6
Molloy, one does not need to post to read. Guess that thought never occurred to you. No wonder you can't appreciate a thoughtful site like AVS. Pannell, sorry to hear about your childhood. Life is what you make it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1475
Actually, that's what I thought you'd say.

Post Number: 9
Well guess you're not as myopic as some have suggested. Congratulations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9124
Welcome back for a short time, Wiley.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1477
Some? By this point I would think it would be most.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Don't overstate it. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9127
As most of us are.
Hey take what ya get and learn from the rest.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 995
here we go again

Gold Member

Post Number: 9145
I hang at ecoustics for Randy Warren.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5583
Me too.....I look forward to his insightful ads...lol.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 837
I have a decent 5.1 (see my profile) for someone not all that excited or interested in surround sound. If I ever want to improve it I would go with a really good surround receiver. Please do not offer opinions as that time is still far away and I got some good input from Frank previously so I already have an idea of which way to go.

The point I am getting to is that I had my 2-channel system integrated with my surround sound so that I could select the same sources with my Denon (less the TT) as I could with my Rogue. I ended up moving the 2-channel system to the side of the room facing lenghtwise into the room with my HT set-up on the long side wall facing into the shorter room dimension. This repositioning greatly improved my musical playback; soundstage, imaging, definition, bass, everything was better with the plasma TV, HT gear, and stand removed from between the 2 channel speakers.

I did give up the better movie sound reproduction on a lot of programs in doing this but I listen to music in my room about 15 times as much as I watch the TV for anything. Don't get me wrong, my HT system really does a lot of movies phenomenally but for most of my watching or concert DVDs, the 2 channel ruled.

FWIW.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1000
well... I don't know about you, but the last time I went to a concert (aside from Madonna and Josh Groban, that really did have "surround sound" in the concert), most of the concerts have been either unamped or 2 channel.

Madge and JG had a couple delay rigs around the arena, with a center channel for just the vocals in the larger arenas. this lead to a very pleasing effect somewhat like q-sound, especially for JG. The orchestra sounded much more natural in his concert. It seemed to be designed to bring the at-home listening experience to the concert IMHO.

These shows were last year, but still remember them.

I believe that Pink Floyd tried something like this once as well.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1001
While the direct center speaker was used for vocals only, I could still hear them reverberating off the side walls. Led me to believe that vocals were being fed through the rest of the system as well, and the "center" was just to anchor them at JG.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9172
The last theatre show we saw was 'Oklahoma' at the Grand Theatre.
While not strictly a concert, the 15 pc band was placed high above the stage, and the 'piped' sound was in stereo.

3 channel to great effect.

BTW, this is a rather steep theatre, tucked away in the middle of nowhere, Ontario.

Tryouts are held each spring.

Bronze Member
Username: Dbnh77

NH USA

Post Number: 12
I like this site because it seems that the people here are very knowledgable, helpful and down to earth. Although we all share a common hobby which can lead to some empty pockets, most people here seem to realize that the average person, even the average audio enthusiast, cannot afford to drop 10K on a pair of speakers, another 6k on an amp and so on.... There doesn't seem to be any snobbery here concerning who has what gear.

The other big thing I like is that people not only dicuss gear but the music they like as well. I can really appreciate that as it exposes me to some great stuff that I may have gone through not knowing existed and that would be a shame. I don't know what the general attitude toward downloading music is here but I am a young person who graduated college not too long ago so most of my music collection has come from the internet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1537
Welcome aboard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9297
Dana, not too much mention of download legality etc. thankfully.
We talk a lot about file quality, however, and can sometimes be a little hard on MP3's.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 873
"most of my music collection has come from the internet."

Well, that certainly changes things.

LOL.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 140
Well, it looks like I certainly missed out on some funny stuff, in my absence. LOL!

That 'Nuance" guy is a clown. avs in general is hilarious! The sheer level and amount of arrogant, pompus jack-a**es on that site is staggering.

Every once in a while, when I see them geting all arrogant and full of themselves; I like to casually mention that I don't like Paradigm speakers. That sends them over the edge (short trip.

It's hilarious watching all the Paradigm dealers circle the wagons and go berzerk in defending Paradigm. Even funnier if you substitute Paradigm with B&W. Then, you really see the nutcases come out.

In all honesty I don't like Paradigm speakers and I did have a very bad experience with Anthem's customer service, several years ago. But I really don't concern myself with it. But when they get all full of themselves, I love to drop those comments in and watch them lose their collective minds.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 886
I bet CM would like for you to forward something on for him.

LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpio1

Post Number: 15
I too searched AVS for opinions on speakers and Cd players and got the same reactions.

So here I am. Here to stay and learn all I can about achieving the best sound possible with my the limited resources I have. A kid takes a big chunk out of my play money.......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1554
Welcome aboard Ed, I think you'll find this board helpful, and if you sick around long enough, might even make a few friends.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9318
I hang here cause nobody else will talk to me.

Ed, will you be my frieeeeeeend?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1583
AVS is a very unpleasant place to be but it is benificial if you have a career in audio or trying to have 1,and there are a few good audiophiles there,but with all the Ascend controlling,and bullying they rarely come out.True enough it is a ID breading ground but so was ecoustics about 2 years ago,and several other forums are to,thats just the way it is ID speakers are sold by word of mouth so it comes with the territory.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9323
A very unpleasant place to be... hmmm...I don't think that is their new tag line...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1589
Well it should be,you have to wear a helmet and protection vest on AVS.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1590
Oh....I bet you guys didnt know this they have their own 2 Pauls over there,now thats hilarious!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us