Username: Timbo2222

Post Number: 1
My options:

1. Marantz 4001, $230 shipped (refurb)
2. Oppo 980, $170 shipped
3. Marantz 4300, $125 shipped (refurb)
4. Onkyo 390, $125 shipped (refurb)
5. Harman Kardon DVD 37, $60 shipped

Which one would you choose and why? Any of the above I should definitely stay away from? Any suggestions should be under $250 please.

I will be using a Super T-Amp and a pair of Polk RTi4s, small bedroom system. So any CDP will be using analog outputs.

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11663

Take the Oppo. It's a good unit that does more than the others for the price.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 664
I just sold my NAD for 265. Shoot. My dealer has the Oppo, its plays everything, and does a nice job of it for the price. I would go with that one as well.

Username: Timbo2222

Post Number: 2
so you guys think the Oppo will do as well for music playback as the Marantz players, using analog connections? I thought that DVD players are not quite as good for music as dedicated CD players.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11670

What?! You don't believe us? Have we ever lied to you before?

Username: Timbo2

Post Number: 4
well.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 665
To be honest with u Timbo, the Oppo actually does a good job at audio as well. Its not going to be amazing or anything, but for its price its a goody. Out of the cd players u have listed its the best.The Marantz cd players at that price range are not that great. They are slow and sound slightly muffled to me. You might be able to find a Refurbed NAD or Cambridge for 250 somewhere online. Actually im pretty sure you can. I think that would be the way I would go if I were you.

Post Number: 5
what do you guys think of this one?

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=stock&product=72.1

supposedly a Music Hall CD-25...

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 80
I have the Oppo as a DVD player, and it's fine as a CD player. It won't blow you away or anything, but at that price point that would be an awful lot to ask. And it makes a decent transport if you add in a DAC later to upgrade.

I'm not familiar with the other units, so I can't comment whether they'd be better or worse.

Post Number: 6
Nick,

when you say the Marantz players are "slow" do you mean attack and decay is slow or are you talking about the carousel disk change mechanism?

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
slow as in attack. "sounds slow"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us