Overhang Guage for Pioneer PL-570 Turntable

Username: Lctracker

Stanley, North Carolina United States

Post Number: 1
I received my Shure M97XE cart after waiting a 6 month backorder. I looking for a overhang guage to mount my expensive cart correctly. Can anyone help> Do the current pioneer overhang guage the same as 1976?

Thanks, Larry
lctracker@bellsouth.net

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11621

Overhang is determined by the effective arm length. So, yes, if the current Pioneer arm is the same effective length as the 1976 arm, then they would use the same gauge. The 1976 Pioneer arm is "S" shaped and I don't believe Pioneer uses a "S" shaped arm today. This would change the effective length of the arm.

You can download the alignment gauge supplied in the archives of this section of the forum. Just scroll down until you find the free gauge post. This guage is also meant for a straight arm but will get you close to the correct alignment for your arm. Otherwise, place "vintage audio" in a search engine and you'll be able to find service centers for '70's gear. The other option would be to simply place the cartridge square in the headshell and try a few positions around the center and slightly forward in the headshell. Since any pivoted arm is only correct at no more than two locations across the disc surface, critical alignment is not all that critical.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us