Help me pick out a turntable...

Username: Teacherrob9

Post Number: 8
Ok I will be using an outlaw rr2150 receiver that has a phono input.

I will be looking at starting a classic rock collection (Springsteen, dylan, u2, etc) of LP's.

What should I be looking at
Rega p1
pro ject debut III
or should I go the audiogon route?

What should I look for on audiogon? I don't want to get a player that I can't buy parts for though:-)

Help!

Post Number: 9
also how come there aren't any pro-ject debut III on audiogon?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5518
Might want to look for a late model P3 on Agon. If you chose one be sure that it will be packed in the original box and provide this link to assure that the sender knows how to pack it.

http://www.sigsound.com/NU&DInfoPages/regapack.htm

Failure to properly pack a table is the # 1 cause of premature death!

Post Number: 10
Rega P3's seem to get not the best reviews at audioreview...

Are Thorens a good bet? Or should I just go with a Project debut III

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 125
it seems as if a rega is good if you are into a lot of tweaking,IE you want to be able to adjust the TT once you own it.IMHO a debut PRO-JECT lll will give you more than acceptable sound in the $300 dollar range and is basically plug in and play,maybe upgrade the stylus,keep it clean,clean the records.
and most importantly add a PRO-JECT speed box which made a huge difference,it is relatively "cheap" at 120.
i have to admit i am a PRO-JECT fan,my debut lll has sounded wonderful for going on three years now.........

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5524
AudioReview is a joke don't worry about those folks (and yes I have several reviews over there). I believe that you will find a consensus here in favor of the P3.

Rega's do indeed have alot of aftermarket tweaks available however if you want to just enjoy vinyl Rega's are about as "set and forget" as there is on the market....

I owned a ProJect Debut III, 1Xpression, and a Rega P3 and though I really enjoyed my ProJects the Rega flat out blew them away. I owned the 1Xpression with a speed box, still the Rega out performed it.

When it was time to move up it was a no brainer for me...Rega P5. I maintain that in your price range a previously loved P3 is a best buy. If new splurge and get a P2.

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 126
art-you always make a compelling case for REGA,i can't rule them out when i decide to upgrade.i can image how good the REGA P3/24(i think that is the current model)would sound with my set up.
still for $300 plus speed box and an upgrade on the stylus from an ortofon OM5-to a 10($40)or 20($90)
one it talking $300+120+40 is still a nice price for a fine TT.if i am not mistaken the REGA P3 alone is twice the price,is it two times as good?
my big upgrade ?? would be Xpression vs REGA P3 or if i have a cash windfall the VPI scout......
i always worry about used TT,esp is they have to be shipped a long distance.used local would be a different story...i had a chance for a local P3 a couple of years ago....but he who hesitates is lost........

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5526
Very important that the seller has the original box and packing material with Rega (or any other). Then it's as simple as following the packing instructions outlined in the link above.

The key is to make sure to communicate with the seller in advance of the sale.

I shipped my P3 to Wisconsin, followed the instructions and added a little extra packing and it arrived as perfect as it left...I do however understand your concern as most bozo's just throw the product in any old box and off it goes. Keep it on Agon (not that other famous auction site..lol) and communicate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us