Hooking up a computer to a stereo. Help!

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 107
First off, I know "Amps" is not really the topic here, but I wasn't sure where to post this question, and I want some traffic.

I'm in the midst of shopping for a new laptop, and I've had the idea for a little while now that at some point I'd like to use it with my stereo. That said, I want to make sure I get what I will eventually need (i.e. soundcard? USB DAC? etc). I'm prepared to look at external DACs when the time comes.

I've been doing some research over the net, but I'm more confused now than I was before. I read some about the Squeezebox...is this the way I should go? Do I need to any hardware in particular? Is this quality any good?

Any suggestions to get me headed in the right directions?

Username: Shanbia

Post Number: 2
Marc, i have done this with my pc and also my laptops on board sound card and works a treat.I purchased a 3.5 rca plug that converts to two RCA plugs and run that straight into my Line In sockets ( or any input socket e.g cd,video), in my amp and this then is powered by a power amp. The whole system then sounds up my house. Got 4 set of speakers in all.

this is a inexpensive and easy alternative without blowing a budget.

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 108
Thanks George.

I'm probably looking at "blowing a budget".

I expect that I'll be buying a DAC and using it with my PC. I'm simply at a point now, that I don't know if/how the soundcard comes into play with that scenario. Are there certain features I should be looking for from the soundcard for best results? Is there anything else I need to consider from the PC? The Dell guys don't know and couldn't help me. I'm not sure if this is the best way to go either (i.e. are there better options to achieving this goal?).

As always, any more help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 362
I use this DAC with my PC based system:

http://www.audiomagus.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,25/fly page,shop.flypage_modern/product_id,31/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/

To me it made a noticeable improvement in SQ. No need to blow the budget...

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 112
Thanks David.

So I guess my only concern then is choosing the right DAC?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 363
The nice thing about using a DAC like this (it connects via USB) is that it bypasses the soundcard in your PC. This alone is probably enough to give you a boost in sound quality. I've read that having an outboard DAC is preferable because it's not affected by interference within the computer case (fan, etc..).

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 113
Alright then, no need to worry about the soundcard. I'll get a new laptop, and shop DACs in the following months.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us