I need some advice on speakers

Username: Sunshine108j

Post Number: 2
I am not experience with home electronics and I will like some advice. Three years ago I got what I consider a good receiver, the NAD T762, build a subwoofer and purchase a pair of Magna Planers model MG 1.6 /QR I thought this will be an investment that I will last me for a lot longer than 3 years, but as electronics change so does my appetite for newer and better things.

I would have not considered redoing my entertainment systems, but my receiver die, it began with my front display flashing and then finally dying.

I been looking into getting the following:

Denon 4308 receiver
The Pioneer 5080 HD or the Panasonic TH 50PZ77u
A pair of rear speakers (not sure what will complement my Planers speakers)
A center speakers
And last a good subwoofer ( the one I build is so big, it just does not fit )

After all the frenzy of looking at new stereo equipment (and jealous that you do not have it) I focused on what is best equipment in the market (knowing I can never really put that kind of money into one) and going into every forum, only to end up even more confuse, I started to reconsider my Receiver and I will like to fix it and see if I can use it for a few more years at the same time I will to take advantage of all the latest gadgets and screen resolution that industry has to offer.

I WANT: HDMI 1.3a with HDMI outputs, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders, Deep Colour and xvYCC support and Auto Lip Sync. A Faroudja chip to up-scale to 1080P, an audiophile chassis construction design, a Compressed Audio Restorer and a DAB Tuner, features a USB, Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity, music streaming from my PC (AAC, MP3, WAV, WMA), photo streaming (JPEG), net radio and three zone room-to-room capability.
But this is not 100% possible with my current system even if I can get it fix.

I was wondering! can I use my Receiver like a component? What I mean by this is use it as a control system and purchase some other really good component that does all this new things that I WANT? I just hate to buy something this year and as standers change by next year, or better TV resolutions comes (1080p) out, I have to discard this nice new system for a better one (I am beginning to like the old component theory)

I also need some advice on speakers, I will like to have 7.1 surround sound, but for now I am ok with 5.1, I do not think I will give up the Planer speakers, I went to a local dealer and asked for some advice and he said that for my planer speakers he recommends the Kenton and definitive that this subwoofer(12woofer), center speaker and rear speakers will match up with my Magna Planers MG 1.6 QR. He sales this speakers and I want to verified if this are the best match for my current Planer speakers or will someone PLEASE recommend something else, given what I have or should I be considering the Denon 4308? With what speakers?This madness has to stop , help.

Sincerely yours,

the insane shopper

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11569

You'll probably get a few replies here, FJ, but you might want to post this in the "Home Theater" section of the forum also.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 961
"an audiophile chassis construction design"

that is the first I have seen that for a description.

IMHO, your NAD is a better sounding unit than the Denon you are looking at.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

Post Number: 25
The 1.6's are low efficiency (sensitivity?) and will cream most HT receivers. Using the preamp section of the receiver is probably OK, driving amps that will handle the Maggies. As for power w/Maggies.....Mo=better.
Other Magnepans will be a good match. They even make wall mount/swing away stuff which helps save room space when not being used.
You're on your own for a sub, but I am looking up the road at HSU Research.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11572

"I was wondering! can I use my Receiver like a component? What I mean by this is use it as a control system and purchase some other really good component that does all this new things that I WANT? I just hate to buy something this year and as standers change by next year, or better TV resolutions comes (1080p) out, I have to discard this nice new system for a better one (I am beginning to like the old component theory)"

If I understand your question correctly, no. The features you wish to add come on new receivers and cannot be patched into an existing product. This is the merry go 'round of home theater. The receivers don't get any better every year (in fact, they generally get worse), they just keep switching around the connections and features. Whatever you buy today in a home theater receiver will be "outdated" faster than your computer.

Stop being jealous that you cannot afford stuff. It violates one of those ten
commandments.

Also, stop going into every forum. That's what will make you nuts and jealous.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 626
lol

Gavin is right- The T762 will blow the doors off that Denon in the sound quality department. Yeah yeah sure you get all the bells and whistles with the Denon, but who wants to buy a new unit that is going to sound like crap compared what they use to have?lol not me. Look elsewhere on the receiver. For your new speaker, I would throw at least 65 percent of your speaker budget( if you keeping the fronts) on the center channel. The rest on the rears. And for the sub, what comes to mind when you say u need a small sub with some kick, HSU, Outlaw Audio and Paradigm ultra cube/seismic cube's come to mind. Cheers. Oh, for your tv, good choices. If you going Plasma, dont stray away from the Pioneer/Panasonic brands. If you can afford it, go a Pioneer Elite. *BOING*

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Very few HT receivers will make the Maggies work.
Most will last until you turn it up...a little.

If you keep the Maggies, you may end up with seperates. The 200x5 Rotel RMB1095 is 2 large. Then you can play the features/preamp game and not have an obsolete amp.
Many other choices, going upscale exist.

If you keep the Maggies, the list of Receivers that'l work is short.....and while I don't know the exact number, it is not more than 10.
Keep the Maggies.....If you go to the effort to set them up / integrate a system they are well worth it, especially for HT use all around.
They even make a center channel so the match of timbre is not an issue.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
The T762 @100/channel is on the low side for the 1.6s......my 130side/Rotel is only a little better.
I don't see a 4ohm listing for the NAD which is a little worrisome.
Make whatever you get has a 4ohm rating.

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the responses all of you, as I move closer to a decision I am going to continue pestering for information. I think I am going to keep the planers 1.6 ( I got them because I love music and they have done well for that) and perhaps I will get a high end amp and preamp. There is one brand that one of the local dealers suggested, but for the life of me I just cannot remember the brand name, but what I like about this brand is what he said, he said all of this systems can be upgraded as technology matures all I have to is send it back and pay the difference, I really like the idea of having component, perhaps you can share some of your knowledge with this type of systems or maybe recommendation or two--I wish I can remember the name. I will check with him tomorrow.

As for the speakers, I am beginning to understand for 5.1 surround sound, aside from the front speakers, the center speaker and the subwoofer are the most critical, but the back speakers are not as critical! Giving this knowledge, I will keep the front speakers as I am sure you guys know that this kind of speakers are of ribbon type, I need the center speaker and back speakers match to the front speakers; it should be an easy choice, right? Just simply get the center speaker from the same manufacture, but I have a problem with this.
I try to find them in the web (not as easy) and did some search to see what is new that they have come out with in the last 3 years. It looks like they have been quiet since 2005, from my conversation with them, they have not come out with anything new, the people that I spoke with only wanted to sale me any of the speaker that where under the 1.6's as back speakers and the only center speaker they had. I did not feel she had good knowledge of their products, she gave did not give me any info about the quality of center speaker other that I should really buy them.
I really think I should get another brand of center and side speakers. So I need help matching characteristics of my front 1.6's to a center speaker as well as the back speakers and a good subwoofer. As great as the JL's sound, I do not think I want to put 3.5 thousand for one of these beauties, there has to be others that are as good for less?
For the Amp and Preamp l will wait a few months as I gather research about components (amp & preamp) if you can be so kind as to suggest a center speaker, back speakers that has similar properties so they can match well, for the center I will like to spend no more than 1 thousand, for the subwoofer think between 1 to 1.5 thousand, but I am not sure for the back speakers any suggest would be most welcome.

Thank you once again for your help

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8971
Fred, save some money and look at Hsu subs.

HOWEVER, those speakers really do demand a faster sub, especially if you are wanting them for music. For those panels and a movie, Hsu or Svs subs are fine, and very good value.
For music, a sub from Rel, Era or Martin Logan is more appropriate.

Post Number: 6
thanks Nuck,

somone posted this list of subs, any coment?

Elemental Designs A7-900 ($2000 shipped ID): 116 points (63-53)
SVS PB13-Ultra ($1499 ID): 109 points (57-52)
Creative Sounds Dual SDX-15 driver + Behringer EP-2500 Amp + Behringer DEQ2496 ($1630 ID): 105 points (57-48) * see below
JL Audio Fathom 113 ($3500 BM): 103 points (53-50)
Velodyne DD-18 ($5000 BM): 100 points (50-50)
Def Tech Trinity ($3000 BM): 97 points (54-43)
ACI Maestro ($2400 ID): 97 points (47-50)
JL Audio Fathom 112 ($2600 BM): 95 points (45-50)
Hsu VTF-3 HO + Turbo ($999 ID): 94 points (47-47)
Hsu VTF-3 HO w/o Turbo ($899 ID): 92 points (45-47)
Hsu VTF-3 Mark III + Turbo ($799 ID): 92 points (45-47)
Hsu VTF-3 Mark III w/o Turbo ($699 ID): 91 points (45-46)
SVS PB12-Ultra: 90 points (47-43)
Axiom EP-500 ($1230 ID/SI): 90 points (43-47)
Hsu VTF-2 Mark III + Turbo ($599 ID): 88 points (42-46)
SVS PB12-Plus/2 ($1299 ID): 87 points (47-40)
SVS PB12-NSD ($599 ID): 86 points (43-43)
Hsu VTF-2 Mark III w/o Turbo ($499 ID): 86 points (40-46)
Rocket UFW-12 ($999 ID): 85 points (provisional) (35-50)
Acculine A-sub ($289 ID/SI): 85 points (provisional, currently out of production) (40-45)
Elemental Designs A2-300 ($350 ID/SI): 83 points (44-39)
SVS PB10-NSD ($429 ID): 83 points (43-40)
Dana Audio 600 ($869 ID): 83 points (36-47)
Rocket X-Sub ($199 ID): 78 points (34-44)
BIC H-100 ($229 eBay): 78 points (40-38)
Rocket Tyke: 60 points (If you care, PM me ... )

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1411
I think you missed one.

...ahhh wait a minute, nope, you've got them all.

Post Number: 7
I have gone to the SVS web site,
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-plus1.cfm

they have an overstock you can get 2 (12") for 1499 or it is beter to get the one (13")?

any comments?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us