Discounts, Upgrades - B&W and Paradigm

Bronze Member
Username: Baldeagle

Post Number: 25
For people who have not been reading my posts, I am deciding between B&W 684 and Paradigm Monitor 7/9. Actually I am investing in a whole 5.1 system. I'm sure no one pays list price.

Now, I know for a fact that dealers give discounts. I would like to know what you folks got. In terms of %. I am in MI. There is a dealer in WI who promised me a 10% discount off the whole set of 5 speakers + 1 sub.
What is a realistic limit that dealers would go to?

I would like to know this info for both B&W and Paradigm dealers.

Also, upgrades: One of my buddies in IL has a deal where, within 4 years, he can get equal value applied to another set of speakers. What is the norm here?

Regards
Eagle

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5460
If the service is good where you demo, buy from them regardless of discount. Most will give some discount (5-10%) but not much. You pay the extra for service and expertise.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 596
Art is right. But on the speakers the price on the tag, should be the price u are charged per speaker pair. No taxes should be added on.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 48
Decision making time now... inking the checkbook. I find discounts from various dealers (4 so far) are varying from 15-17% on B&W to 20-25% on the Paradigms. This is nuts! Either there is a huge margin, or these are desperate times.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Eagle

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9091
Eagle, there is no set discount on these items.
It really depends on the individual dealer.
New and/or 'popular' sets are seldom discounted very deeply. End of run and discontinued pairs are usually easier to bargain on, neither of those speakers are discontinued. 10% or tax is the usual rate, if at all for B&W, seeing as these are new models.
If you check with the shop, they may have some 602's which have been supplanted by the 684/685.
These would be where the discounts are, if the $ is a breaker.
Nice choices you have going on there.
The 684 are not as hard to get right as previous models, the Paradigm's are a normal load for an amp.
I heard the 684's with Rotel power a while back, they have a lot more 'air' than the 6-0 series.

As usual, when this question/issue comes up, I agree with Art. You are paying for the service and advice that comes with this rather specific business/pleasure relationship.
When you have a good raport with the dealer you get to bring things home to try. Cables, speakers, amps demo's and such. The dealer expects to discount these items, as they have left his/her place and are at your house. Only these pieces are expected to be discounted, and not by much.
If your choice is $ driven, that is fine. The last go around on this topic revealed some very savvy buyers out there, and exposed some folks as loyal to a fault. So beit.
If your dealer is buying in lots of 50 pairs, the price goes down for him.If the items are a little more off the beaten path, 3 pairs might be more likely. My dealer is working on a price right now for speakers that he bought in 3 pair. Not a big mover, so not a lot of wiggle room.Both of the speakers you mentioned are selling like ice cream on a beach, so either the volume brings the price down or demand keeps the price up.

Bronze Member

Michigan USA

Post Number: 49
Nuck, Thanks for the detailed explanation, yeah... makes sense when you put it that way. So I think I have the luxury to decide on a nice balance on price and service. Will keep you guys posted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us