Tube CD Players

Username: Lonewolf0715

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 6
Quickie question.

Are tube CD players any good? Or are they very dependent on the quality of the amp? I just picked up a used Proton receiver, and saw some used tube CDPs out there that appealed to me, but now I wonder if I'd be wasting my money on that type of component, given the relatively "cheap" quality of the Proton.

Thoughts?}

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11548

Your question is too broad to answer. As with all components some are good and some not. The inclusion of tubes won't necessarily equate to better sound. The rest of the unit must be of good quality before tubes can help.

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 45
A cdp is good, or not, regardless of the amp. And you will hear whatever the amp lets you hear, whether the cdp is a tube implementation or not.

And yes, there are some excellent cdp's, at least IMO. It all depends on what sounds good to you though. Eastern Electric and Raysonic both have highly regarded units. I'm sure there are others.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8923
Chris, do you have any fav links to those players?
A link to a forum discussion?

Never heard of.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11551

I saw an ad for the Raysonic. Only twenty five box tops and it comes with a decoder ring.

Bronze Member
Username: Mekongdelta69

Grew up in Brooklyn an...

Post Number: 88
Hey, I didn't get a decoder ring with mine.

That really ticks me off no end.

{But then again, I used some decades old Raleigh coupons to get it, so maybe that's the reason...}

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 47
Sure Nuck.

Link to Morningstar Imports who distribute Eastern Electric gear...http://www.morningstaraudio.com/

Link to Raysonic...http://www.raysonicaudio.com/

Both the Minimax player and the Raysonic CD128 are very well reviewed. I think both are Chinese made, although the Raysonic is a Canadian company based in Toronto I think.

I heard the Minimax through a Plinius amp once, and it sounded very good. Vocals especially were very well done. The person who owned the system bought the tube cdp because he felt the Plinius was a tad cold and lean with his former DAC. I can tell you it was niether of those things with the Minimax.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us