Some cow thought she'd see what that was!!!

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 610
Having a bit of a 'pre-party' in my room before we go out. My speaker covers were off. This lass decides she'll see what a tweeter was and pushes it in! Luckily its not dented and still works but had a finger print mark on which I had to gently get off.

Will the tweeter have been damaged at all?
p.s. its a soft silk dome

It sounds fine!

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5447
Some cow!!!!!!!!

If that way of thinking comes across to anyone you know I'm surprised you haven't found a little diesel and fertilizer in your living room!

Good grief...

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 574
lol J.Jarvis, the tweeter will be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8908
Sounds fine, JJ.
The blonde, however, may need a spanking...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11547

Cow?! You called her a "COW"?! Call your mother and tell her what you just called this young woman.

She touched your speakers, JJ! If you don't want people touching your speakers, keep the covers on during parties. That's why they are provided to you. It is not the young woman who screwed up here. It's a party and at parties no one cares whether your speakers have that little extra bit of "air" and "detail" that comes from playing with the covers removed. The covers are there for protection from curious and prying fingers and objects that might fly across the room during frat boy parties.

I do believe you owe this young woman an apology for calling here a "cow" in a forum where she cannot defend herself. And I think you need to grow up a bit if you're to learn some social skills at this university.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8915
Cow is used in different terms in the UK, Jan.
Don't you watch Coronation Street?
It is slightly derogatory, but not literally intended.

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
LOL!!!! Nuck is right. Where does any University teach social skills?lol It is all reading from a book. To learn social skills you have to go to College.LOL just playing J.J.

Silver Member

Post Number: 612
Well Art when I see her prodding it the first thing comes to mind is how much do i have to fork out!?

But yes the tweeter sounds fine and the covers will remain on!

But Jan, like Nuck said the term is derogatory a form of indirect insult (in this case). I never said it to her face so there is no way in hell I'm apologising to her. I dont even like her. How did you know she's Blonde Nuck!

Besides we were all pretty drunk so putting the covers back on my speakers was not the first thing that came to mind. It was my room that ended up being the 'venue'.

Stuff the social skills, been to college, done that got some social skills. Its the next stage of the world now and the confidence I lack.

Ask yourself Jan..and anyone - what would you think if you saw someone doing that to your cherished speakers!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11557

Ask yourself if you think I would place myself and my speakers in that situation. The answer is no, because doing so is an act of stupidity or immaturity or both.

Saying the name to her face is not the issue. The issue most likely is you don't like her and you feel you can call her names and ridicule her behind her back. Possibly others don't like her either and you can call her various things when you're with your buddies who tend to see certain people as "Cows", "Towelheads" and other terms. Using these words when you're with your friends makes you no less the low life cretin. Doing so over such an egregious act as touching something you left exposed for display purposes makes you very much the low life cretin. You are more concerned over your possessions than another person. That's what you should tell your mother. Hopefully, she'll set you straight.

Indirect or not the name is still an insult to this woman merely because she touched your precious little speakers. If you threw a fit over a fingerprint on your tweeter, I suspect she's got a few choice names for you also. If she were of a different race and you used a derogatory slang term for that race, would it be appropriate because you only did so when that person couldn't hear you?

Are you getting any of this?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2441
Two things:

1. If you usually leave the grilles off, it's reasonable to forget to replace the grilles when visitors come over. It is unreasonable and bad form in the UK for those visitors to go pooking around in your equipment.

2. 'Cow' is far milder than the term I would have used in that situation...

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
Are you perfect, Jan?

If maturity is such a key issue to you will you remember our ages and think who should be more mature!

But I really dont see what's wrong with saying things behind her back to people she doesnt and shall never know, when there is reason. I do care about my speakers more than her as I had only known her a couple of hours. A friend I know I'd refer to as my 'curious mate' perhaps.

Im not one for name calling Jan but clearly you are. You're contradicting yourself because you're calling me a 'low life cretin' in front of ecoustics members who lets say are friends.

Did i hit her? Did I shout at her? The fact is NO!!!! And the question is that in this topic to whether the tweeter would be damaged.

I dont understand why you seem to think you're right about everything and feel the need to stand up to everyone all the time like you the God and God all mighty to this forum in particular.

Stop expanding so much on needless topics and finding things to argue about to people who dont want to argue. I've refrained from retaliating to your macho nonsense sometimes but this time I'm not. So here now I'll expect either one of two things, you to go off on one again. Or you to maybe agree to some degree with what I'm saying about you're personality.

The thing that strikes me most is you're squabling about one word that most people understand and accept as the social norm to how people interact and talk about others.

The one things I wonder everytime and dont want everytime is to see you're reply in a post being a smarmy witty writer who wears the badge of 'teacher'.

And no, I'm not racist. I hate racism.

Stop taking things so seriously and chill out.

Bronze Member
Username: Zorro

Post Number: 64
Jan,

Please man, find other things to do. Take a trip or something. Check yourself into a clinic. I am worried about you.

Really

Bronze Member
Username: Josh85

Gordon, PA

Post Number: 24
I too have had tweets pushed in. It's a teeth grinding affair. Damaging? More cosmetic I would think. And who can keep their speaks covered ALL of the time anyway? They're too damn sexy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8958
The old vacuumn cleaner, or straw(without company) and then scotch tape to lift the mark.
Voila!

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10597
I've had it happen also. Metallic domes aren't so bad. The paper ones though..........eeeesh. They always leave the wrinkles in the paper. And with my luck ^^^^ the vacuum would suck the cone/dome right off lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5476
This reminds me of the "jap" scrape a while back. We simply need to be aware that this is an international forum and if a term is offensive to a lot of folks, rather than defend it because it isn't wherever you are from, just accept that to some it's offensive and move on. Accepting that does not make someone bad and another good, it's just responsible. If I say something that is offensive to women in England I would hope that JJ or Frank would let me know so that I can apologize and hopefully not do it again...just my take on it.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 815
J.J. I am very straightforward at work and will not ignore someone's coming up short when it affects the team and our business in general. There is someone here at the "office" who falls into that category. Do they change their behavior? No. Instead they go behind my back spreading innuendo which has nothing to do with reality or my work. But it affords them an outlet to maybe affect me to the point where I can no longer be in a position "to touch their tweeters".

1. I have an issue with someone I take it on directly with them, and it does not have to be accusatory or confrontational.

2. Someone doesn't like what I do or say, they can either come to me with their issue, or talk behind my back.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11560

"But I really dont see what's wrong with saying things behind her back to people she doesnt and shall never know, when there is reason. I do care about my speakers more than her as I had only known her a couple of hours."

JJ, that you can type that and not see what's wrong with each sentence is proof you are not getting any of this.

"I dont understand why you seem to think you're right about everything and feel the need to stand up to everyone all the time like you the God and God all mighty to this forum in particular.'

And, before I get started, let me remind you just who has "god" in their user name.

This is not about being "perfect". If it were, a simple, "I made a mistake", on your part would have sufficed. This is about common sense and basic respect for others. While we all fail at the former on ocassion, none of us should be allowed to slip up on the latter at any time; and never when a possession is placed above respect for others. To take your words to their logical extreme, if they were both in a burning building, you would save your speakers first since you care about them more than her. No problem there?

Did you hit her?

Hit her?!

That is your reference point for treating her well or poorly?! Young man, I'm well aware of the differences in our age and that makes your comments even more offensive to me. That you suggest I am immature in my reaction to your deprecating slang is now something I take personal offense to.

You do not care to be insulted to your face but you see no problem in insulting a woman behind her back. I'm hardly contradicting myself in this matter, JJ, merely providing what I thought might be a lesson that you've obviously missed. Where a simple acknowledgement that your choice of words might be offensive to some would have smoothed this issue over, you have decided everyone but you has a problem. If my "macho nonsense" offends you now, well, all the better. You apparently need to read this.

If I am correct, this seems to be the second time in a short while where you have stated your intolerance for racism while practicing a sort of patterned soft bigotry. I fail to see how the word "cow" can be anything other than offensive when used to describe a woman, particularly one you don't like. That this sort of misogyny is accepted by anyone else on this forum is also bothersome to me.

"The thing that strikes me most is you're squabling about one word that most people understand and accept as the social norm to how people interact and talk about others."

Once again I find it impossible to believe you could place those words in print and not realize their potency. Possibly, due to the differences in our ages, you've never heard those exact words being used to defend racism, chauvanism, bigotry, hatred and an attitude that others just aren't as good as the one speaking or writing. Or, possibly, you've just never thought of anyone who speaks or writes those words as anything other than just like yourself, just what we here in the South call a "Bubba" or a redneck.

Sorry, I don't share your opinions. I do find your words "understandable" but I certainly don't find them to be acceptable. There is no good way to spin the ideas you've placed in that your posts, JJ. You have clearly rationalized away your problem and made it all someone else's fault. Whether that attitude is directed toward a woman, another race, another religion or political party it is the beginning of nothing that benefits others in any way unlike yourself. And that is the root cause of bigotry plain and simple.

This young woman touched your speaker. That you were all too drunk for you to place the covers on the speakers excuses you but not her. That she was, what, too sober to excuse her action, and that you don't like her, makes her a "cow".

Look, JJ, if this makes me come across as someone who feels they have something to teach, I would hope you would take it for what it is worth from someone older than you. I've tried to offer audio oriented assistance to you when I could but, if you find that I offend you all that often, I'll gladly cease. I'm finding your neuroses with half filled stands and fingerprints a bit too much anyway. As I've told others, my posts are very easy to spot without even seeing my name first. If I offend you, please, don't read my posts.

I do take bigotry in any form quite seriously and will not "chill out" and allow it to pass, so don't expect that from me. But this forum is not the place where you should be learning lessons about life. I'll let this be the end of it for this thread since I'm not looking to get into a drawn out battle over something I should not have to correct. You can have the last word, if you'll answer two questions.

If the woman touching your speakers had been your mother, sister, girlfriend's mother or girlfriend would she have also been described as a "cow"? If not, why not? I hope you'll be honest about this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 614
You know you'll post again

Heres you're answer.

Of course not. I wouldnt dare as I respect them. Even to my girlfriends mother who I dont know too personally, I wouldnt do that.

I dont think I bigotrize Jan and since you are older I'll take note of that last reply and maybe in general I'll be more considerate so to speak. But after all we're all different and I think opinion on what's right and wrong is sometimes neither right or wrong.

"And, before I get started, let me remind you just who has "god" in their user name."

That's quite ironic, I cant change this name which I wanted to do not long after I created my account so have had to stick with it.

"And before I get started" - That sounds quite cocky?

To say you're finding my neuroses about half filled stands and fingerprints a bit much is silly and selfish because thats the whole point of this forum.

I come here for help so yes, you're replies are valued. I still dont know the best amount to fill the stands or what advantage there is but I did it anyway.

Let me ask you, if you was in the situation I was and someone did that, what would you do when reporting to ecoustics about it. Would you not at all feel annoyed?

I do feel like you're trying to belitle me and have done with others in this forum like the recent arguments you had with someone making the clear point that 'JAN IS ALWAYS RIGHT' or something close to that.

Thanks for everyones reply although I dont think I'd ever use some scotch tape incase I pulled it out or something. I tried the vacuum trick on some monitors I had which was a myler metal dome with plastic coating-that didnt work at all!

Michael if you was implying I talk behind peoples back then in a professional manner I wouldnt do that. As in business-never as this would be problematic for communication and so on. I agree that any serious problems should be brought straight up and dealth with in a forward manner.
In a non professional manner I dont talk behind backs unless they've done something wrong and I dont want to cause upset, such as only an hour ago I was talking to some of my flat mates about other flat mates who've 'stole' food without consent which isn't the first time either.
These are the kind of people who I KNOW for sure bidch about everyone for no reason.

Like you, I dont like it.

As with this girl, I explained to her 'woo dont do that' 'why' she replied 'they're very delicate and can break easily'. The covers went on.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2446
Jan,

I dread to think what you'd make of a hilariously funny sitcom called Allo Allo which mercilessly takes the piss out of women, men, Germans, French and Brits. Rene's famous catchphrase is 'You stupid woman' which, presumably from your descriptions means that Rene thinks all women are stupid.

Honestly - what a storm in a teacup!

JJ, in my view she's a dozy cow.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11562

Since you've asked questions, yes, I'll reply.

"Let me ask you, if you was in the situation I was and someone did that, what would you do when reporting to ecoustics about it. Would you not at all feel annoyed?"

You don't seem to understand I would not put myself in that situation. I have stated above showcasing drivers is an invitation to anyone young, old, curious or indifferent who wants to touch something delicate and breakable. I learned that my first day on the salesfloor in 1974 without any unfortunate incidents occurring.

Surely your grandmother didn't allow her prized porcelain figurines to remain on the table when you visited as a curious child. She either moved them or made it plain from the get go they were not toys. Tweeters are not toys either.

Grills are almost always provided for the purpose of covering the drivers for aesthetic and safety reasons. If, as we learn now, you weren't too drunk to put them in place after this young lady touched the tweeter, you were even less inebreated before she did so. At least that's how things have always progressed at any party I've attended. You screwed up and she did what was normal. She did no harm but you freaked because someone touched your speaker, which you care about more about than this young lady. I could find several lessons to be learned here.

"I do feel like you're trying to belitle me and have done with others in this forum like the recent arguments you had with someone making the clear point that 'JAN IS ALWAYS RIGHT' or something close to that.'

It would be quite foolish to argue from the point that I am wrong; would it not?

To argue from a weaker stance is long and laborious and doesn't work well on forums where multiple members can contribute divergent comments between posts. So, I make my case from the point of what I believe or know to be true. If I come across as "cocky", remember, that is your reaction to me. I cannot control your reactions. You were provided emotions to use and it is how you choose to react to someone that you control. If someone chooses to cover their insecurities with false bravado, that will usually lead to problems. If you feel I have employed false bravado at any time, go back and read my post again. Even those with whom I've disagreed most vehemently and frequently, have ceded the fact that I am right most of the time. No brag, just fact. If I find myself in a position where I'm unsure of what is being discussed, I don't add my voice unless it is to question the basic premise. You won't find me on the Home Theater forum since I don't give a fig about HT. Once again, if you find my posts rub you the wrong way, don't read them. I don't come to the forum looking for a fight and expect the same from others.

It should be rather plain where I stand on most things as I've had plenty of time and opportunity to ponder most things home audio related. Do you think the forum would be better served if I waffled a bit on speaker placement or whether a set of separates is likely to outperform a receiver? I don't. I state my case and expect reasoned discussion. You'll notice I don't engage in some topics, preferring instead to not get bogged down with threads where people wish for someone else to do the listening and thinking for them. There are others here who are willing to take on topics that I avoid. But, if a post goes unanswered for a day or so, I'll usually acknowledge that it was read and give an answer as best as possible.

I believe I've been consistent in my approach to this forum from the beginning. I seldom make product recommendations for reasons I've spelled out many times. I offer assistance where I believe I can help. I like theoreticals when they serve a purpose. I will insult anyone who insults me first. I've laid out my reasons for why I might insult someone in the "efficiency" thread. If anyone wants to know why I am sometimes less than pleasant, read the thread; and you'll find plenty there to dislike since PG and I have a long running relationship on this forum.

I come here to exchange information and ideas. I've made a few friends and a few enemies along the way but, for the most part, the idea we are all anything more than members on the same internet forum is not something I believe. I assume we all come here for information mostly and a good time if possible. I will not tolerate bigotry when I perceive it. "Indirect insults" of the type you've posted are still insults in my mind and even more egregious than calling someone a low life cretin to their face. I have little patience for rednecks and the like and don't know why I'm expected to do so. I prefer a modicum of intelligence to raw, blatant stupidity.

I hope that helps.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11563

Frank - I can't imagine it will come as a surprise to you that some people find Woody Allen to be dreadfully cerebral.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2447
Woody Allen is merely dreadful...

Silver Member

Post Number: 614
lol wow. What a thread. Makes me tired just reading it. *yawwwwwnnnn* Boring. Hmmmm Cow you say? I probably would have called her a %$#@ FU#$#ing C##$T S#$#T F#$#ING I@#$#IOT. Made her cry and then would have made her leave.LOL!!! ohh come on people, have a laugh. Who wants to come on this Forum and read about people arguing about if they should have or should not have called someone a cow. J.J. already got his answer he was looking for, this thread should have been dead 4 days ago.

Silver Member

Post Number: 616
Good speech Jan. Some good points to think about in there I'll admit.

"It would be quite foolish to argue from the point that I am wrong; would it not?"

My opinion on that is it seems a little arrogant but I suppose its true. Everyone thinks their view is right.

You have a good vocabulary.

Frank,

"JJ, in my view she's a dozy cow."

Oo she is, its like you said; disrespectful thing to do. But with a consensus, its also my partly fault of mine for leaving covers off. Honestly, I think they look better on anyway-less cluttered and smarter.

Jan, like your lesson in 1974. Its my lesson in 2007 (and probably one of many to come)!

p.s. whos PG?

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
lmao

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11564

"p.s. whos PG?"

Not important to know.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11565

"Woody Allen is merely dreadful... "

Irony is lost on the deeply committed and those who should be.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1631
Seeing as how y'all so hung up on cows:

Economic Models explained with cows - 2007 update (and Moo)

SOCIALISM

You have 2 cows.

You give one to your neighbour.

COMMUNISM

You have 2 cows.

The State takes both and gives you some milk.

FASCISM

You have 2 cows.

The State takes both and sells you some milk.

NAZISM

You have 2 cows.

The State takes both and shoots you.

BUREAUCRATISM

You have 2 cows.

The State takes both, shoots one, milks the other, and then throws the milk away...

TRADITIONAL CAPITALISM

You have two cows.

You sell one and buy a bull.

Your herd multiplies, and the economy grows.

You sell them and retire on the income.

SURREALISM

You have two giraffes.

The government requires you to take harmonica lessons

AN AMERICAN CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You sell one, and force the other to produce the milk of four cows.

Later, you hire a consultant to analyse why the cow has dropped dead.

ENRON VENTURE CAPITALISM

You have two cows.

You sell three of them to your publicly listed company, using letters of credit opened by your brother-in-law at the bank, then execute a debt/equity swap with an associated general offer so that you get all four cows back, with a tax exemption for five cows.

The milk rights of the six cows are transferred via an intermediary to a Cayman Island Company secretly owned by the majority shareholder who sells the rights to all seven cows back to your listed company. The annual report says the company owns eight cows, with an option on one more.

You sell one cow to buy a new president of the United States, leaving you with nine cows. No balance sheet provided with the release. The public then buys your bull.

THE ANDERSEN MODEL

You have two cows.

You shred them.

A FRENCH CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You go on strike, organise a riot, and block the roads, because you want three cows.

A JAPANESE CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You redesign them so they are one-tenth the size of an ordinary cow and produce twenty times the milk.

You then create a clever cow cartoon image called 'Cowkimon' and market it worldwide.

A GERMAN CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You re-engineer them so they live for 100 years, eat once a month, and milk themselves.

AN ITALIAN CORPORATION

You have two cows, but you don't know where they are.

You decide to have lunch.

A RUSSIAN CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You count them and learn you have five cows.

You count them again and learn you have 42 cows.

You count them again and learn you have 2 cows.

You stop counting cows and open another bottle of vodka.

A SWISS CORPORATION

You have 5000 cows. None of them belong to you.

You charge the owners for storing them.

A CHINESE CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You have 300 people milking them.

You claim that you have full employment, and high bovine productivity.

You arrest the newsman who reported the real situation.

AN INDIAN CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You worship them.

A BRITISH CORPORATION

You have two cows.

Both are mad.

AN IRAQI CORPORATION

Everyone thinks you have lots of cows.

You tell them that you have none.

No-one believes you, so they bomb the **** out of you and invade your country. You still have no cows, but at least now you are part of a

Democracy....

A NEW ZEALAND CORPORATION

You have two cows.

The one on the left looks very attractive.

AN AUSTRALIAN CORPORATION

You have two cows.

Business seems pretty good.

You close the office and go for a few beers to celebrate

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 99
No Canadian corps? I'm offended.

Lol. Good story.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1632
A CANADIAN CORPORATION

You have two cows.

You have a bull market.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10619
Purdy good.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2131
I've laid out my reasons for why I might insult someone in the "efficiency" thread. If anyone wants to know why I am sometimes less than pleasant, read the thread; and you'll find plenty there to dislike since PG and I have a long running relationship on this forum.

Yes, please read everything I wrote early-on in that thread before Mr. Vigne had to respond with Surely you're not that slow. Did you show up here to argue about words you don't understand and wiley?

All it takes to get insulted is disagreeing with him!

Don't worry about your speakers if they sound okay, and don't worry so much about what Mr. Vigne thinks of you either. No one else has chosen to get on your case like that.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5479
Peter you're takin' the wrong route on this one. I think JJ has admitted to learning something here which in my opinion takes some courage and for which I applaud him.

MR, I read that to my wife and I thought we were both gonna piss our pants...very funny.

Silver Member

Post Number: 618
LOL nice M.R.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 821
J.J. the implication of my post is to point out that I do not do what I do not like done to me. Would you?

For your age you come across as reasoned for the most part, you have significant potential and are generally likable. I suppose we could ignore you but yet we seem to want to communicate with you. Simply stay on the high road, there are unforeseen dividends there.

Maybe you will become PM some day, eh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8962
MR, LMAO!
Thanks, mate.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1635
I can't take credit guys (except for the Canadian one) just wanted to lighten up the thread a bit before it went right off the rails.

We occassionally write something that may be tolerated/unoffensive in our own country, but it doesn't hurt to think globally sometimes. I too have been guilty, but JJ didn't mean to be THAT insensitive and he's responded intelligently to the rebukes.

Also, I didn't react to Nuck's blonde quip - although my blonde wife may have reacted otherwise. And besides, just because I often have to wipe the white-out off the computer screen after she's been using Word doesn't mean a thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8965
ROFL again!

BTW, I am blonde.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5482
Well said MR and appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums