Pro-Ject Debut III/Phono SB

Username: Razorfrog

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to buy a new setup, and I found the Pro-Ject line to look great and have great reviews. The standard Debut III's look good, but I found the Debut III/Phono SB which includes a preamp and speed adjuster - two external units built in, saving me some money. http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutphsb&cat=turntables?=en

However, I can't find this in the states anywhere for sale. Only UK dealers online. Weird. Any ideas why I can't find it? And anyone to say I should stop looking and just get a Debut III and a preamp? Let me know.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2167
I think its a European market only thing. You can buy all the pieces individually here. They are the Project Phono Box and Project Speed Box. Each costs about $120.

I'm a fan of the Project line. I owned a Debut 3 and upgraded to a 1Xpression. That being said, you may want to look at the Rega P1 for the same money as the Debut or the Rega P2 for more money. Rega turntables are icons, and for good reason.

If you don't have local dealers for either one, try these guys -
http://www.musicdirect.com/

A local dealer would be far better because they can help set the table up properly.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8912
Stu, you figgur the DebutIII is only P1 quality?
Or just the price?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2171
Better sound and quality for the same price.

Save the $120 or so for the speedbox and upgrade the stock cartidge on the P1. The tonearm on the Debut isn't all that great. The one on the P1 is just about as good for the price as the rest of Rega's tonearms.

The two biggest downfalls of the P1 are the stock cartridge and the stock platter. Both can be upgraded for very reasonable money with ver good results. The Debut gets a little better with a better cartridge and the Speed Box, but no where near what the P1 does with the mods.

But, the Project 1Xpression w/Speed Box vs Rega P2 comparison is a very good one IMO. So long as the cartridge is the same.

Username: Razorfrog

Post Number: 2
So for that price range, you'd recommend the P1 with what kind of cartridge/platter? And changing speeds is more straightforward on the P1 than the Debut without the speedbox?
Thanks

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2178
The Speed Box is significantly more than just a speed changer. Its a big sonic upgrade, in that it stabilizes the motor speed far better than without it. I have no idea why Pro-Ject doesn't advertise it this way.

Changing speeds on the P1 shouldn't be any more of a hassle than the Debut without the Speed Box. Its quite simple actually.

There are a bunch of Acrylic platters available for Rega decks. The MDF platter on the P1 should be upgraded. I've seen them priced between $70 to $170. A Google search should bring up some good results. Off the top of my head, Iron Audio is very popular, and Gene Rubin is a respected dealer that carries a line of them.

What cartridge to use isn't a straight forward answer. There's a lot out there. On the lower priced end, Grado is very hard to beat.

Username: Teacherrob9

Post Number: 5
How much does the Grado cost?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5502
I think you can get a black for $50, I had a Blue with my ProJect for $80 or thereabouts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us