Can mass filling stands cause bass resonating?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 609
Filling stands is supposed to get rid of vibrations etc..

I rang up Atacama Audio saying I was filling them with sand. They reccommended half full so that's what I did and have been for a couple of weeks now.

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience in leaving stands UNFILLED.

Amp is from cambridge audio(azur 540) and speakers are wharfedale diamond 8.1.
Is it likely to be any of these causing the problem?

Placement is 7 inch minimum from any wall. Walls are not hollow. Floors are solid.

p.s. 6 positive comments from my new friends at uni about my system
"I wish I could afford a good system"
"I love this surround sound" "I thought you had mini speakers everywhere" "Can we watch it in your room again" etc etc

Thanks for any help

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2166
I depends on the design goals of the stands and speakers. Some speakers require a very light weight stand, others need a very heavy massive stand.

How sure are you of what is resonating? Is it the stands? Speakers? Or is it something else in the room? Try to figure out what frequency is causing the noise and work from there. Walk around the room and listen for it.

If its the stands, is everything screwed together tightly? If its the speaker cabinets, are they secured adequitely?

There's a million things that it could be.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2437
Diamond 9.1s have a fairly 'fruity' character in the bass region. You'll probably be able to tame it a bit if you fill the stands a bit more than halfway. The problem will be striking the happy medium where the bass response is acceptable without making the speaker sound dead.

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
Stu, I wouldnt have a clue what kind of stands are better. I just went with the atacamas from reviews and because they looked good.

I havent a clue what's resonating I just know in some songs, the bass goes 'vwooomph' but I think this is partly to do with some new jumper cables which have worn in a bit more now and resonating is less.

Stands and speakers are secured tightly.

Frank, I did have the stands about 3/4 full but didnt like that. Half way is better. Its the 8.1s i have not the 9.1s although they're probably mostly the same. The bass of them is overall quite fast yet 'fat' at the same. I guess fruity is a way to describe it.

I'm just experimenting with different cables to use as the jumper cable on the terminals. Qed bronze special works really well as does supra rondo. I think the qed has more detail. Qed anni xt is a bit brighter but has some good imaging characteristics. I still have to try some chord silver plus and carnival classic (which is same as the main cable I use).

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8909
With the different jumpers, JJ, are you connecting the main leads to the same pair of posts?
Try going to the Low post with the + and the high post on the -.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 804
J.J. Try a thin speaker wire to the top posts, some silver might work for you. Then remove the jumpers on the speaker posts. To the bottom posts, run something much heavier and if possible flatter. Bass signals work well with rectangular cable.

Check out my profile then google my Goertz sub-amp speaker wires if you are not sure what I mean.

Silver Member

Post Number: 615
Nuck, basically, replacing the brass jumper strips. Mains wire to LF and to HF (2 middle ones). And jumpers from LF-HF on one pair and the same on the other pair.

Are you saying I should try jumping from one pair to the other i.e. red to black and red to black?

I'm currently using the chord carnival silver plus as jumpers and the sound is more lively, I like it. I think I'll try mixing cables Michael. Although I dont think thickness is to important its the actual material. I like them all for different reasons. The chord carnival the most for its clearness, the supra for its good depth and smoothness, the qed special is slightly too bassy but neutral. I'm not sure I'm too convinced with air tube designs like with the qed silver xt-although the imaging is great.

I'm convinced with chord though-chord carnival classic mains and chord silver jumpers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us