Rega P1 or P3?

Username: Lonewolf0715

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 3
I have a chance to pick up a presumably lightly-used Rega P3 turntable with the Elys cartridge for maybe $100 (hopefully less!) than a new Rega P1. That might be a simple answer, but since I've never had an audiophile quality turntable before (a Dual 606 doesn't really count, does it?), I'm wondering if maybe the P3 might be a bit more tricky to use than the entry-level P1, sonic capabilities aside.

Is this even a concern?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11526

No. Turn it on. Play the record. Turn it off.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2422
Gary,

Jan is correct. Rega is the Porsche of the performance world. They work, they're easy to use, they have minimal setup needs and perform consistently over time, only needing inexpensive servicing very occasionally, and then only to keep them in tip top condition.

There is no difference to how you use the P1 as against the P3. In fact, there's no significant difference in the use of any of Rega's modern decks (i.e. less than 3 years) since they are all based on exactly the same principles, merely being refinements of the same thing.

There are slight differences in setup depending on configuration. For example, if you were to change the cartridge, you may have to introduce a spacer for a taller cartridge, in which case, the different arm mount of the latest decks means you need a different spacer to the older ones. But this is usually done by your dealer anyway, so you'll hardly need to worry yourself about it.

If you go for the P3 (and I would choose this over the P1 any day), it would be wise to have the Elys looked at by a dealer to ensure it is in good condition, and to look at the belt and ensure the oil is fine. This is the same for all Rega decks pretty much and the sum total of servicing that needs doing once every 5 years or so.

If the P3 rattles on startup, it's no problem. This will be because the deck is actually an older Planar 3 which used a rubber band to decouple the motor from the deck. In future, give the platter a light spin before switching on and you'll avoid the rattle as well as help the belt's longevity by avoiding any slipping.

Once checked over, just put it on something horizontal and enjoy playing it.

Regards,
Frank.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 4
Jan and Frank

Thank you both for your answers to perhaps what appears to be a dumb question. I was aware of the great reputation of Rega decks, but wasn't sure if there was anything I had to watch out for.

Incidentally, the guy with the P3 bought it in late 2004, and claims he didn't use it much. Hopefully, should we consummate a deal for it, the Rega survives the shipping!

Thanks again.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11529

GZ - Do be aware of the speed issues with the Rega tables and other "budget" belt driven tables. The Regas tend to run slightly fast. Not enough to bother most people but noticeable if you are a perfectionist. Other similarly priced belt drives will probably have similar speed issues, particularly since many similarly priced tables are rebadged Regas; but, if this is important to you, listen before investing. There is also the tendency for any belt drive table to have speed consistency issues. Again not enough to bother most people but if Glenn Gould's pianistic stylings are one of your favorites, the same precautions should be noted. Both issues lessen in severity as you spend more for the belt drive table.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2429
Late 2004 and less than a P1? I'd buy it (if I didn't already own a far superior deck...)

Bronze Member
Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 53
Hello,
I have a new Rega p1 turntable with glass platter. What cartridge upgrade can take the table up a notch without braking the bank? Thanks,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 9
Well, the Rega P3 never materialized. The guy at audiogon never replied to my three emails, so I guess he wasn't really anxious to sell it. I ended up betting a new Goldring budget table, instead. Just in case anybody wondered what happened. I will take the belt speed issue under advisement, however. Not that I can do much about it, though, but then again, I'm not that fussy -- I can't be, with a "kit" costing about $1000 (receiver, turntable, CD player, and speakers)!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2219
The Goldring deck may very well be a rebadged Rega deck.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 317
Frank A.- "If the P3 rattles on startup, it's no problem."

I am sure glad to read that!!!! Thanks, I was a little worried.
Mine is a new from a store display model.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us