Got a new amp and I have questions

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1206
I bought a new amp it is a Carver PM 1.5. It has an amazing rating of output and my current amp didn't seem like it was up to the task so I decided to give it a go on ebay and won it. Now, at the time I did not realize it was a "professional" audio amp. Is there a huge difference from a "professional" amp to a "home" audio amp? Its going to be driving my maggies. I had been doing very preliminary research online and it seemed like opinions were split for home audio use. Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2155
As far as I know, there's not much of a difference, I think the differences are the type of connectors used, and any internal modifications that need to be done to accomidate them.

More specifically, XLR input connectors instead of RCAs. I think their needs to be a few different internal components to make the inputs truly balanced, but could be wrong.

Most of the time, balanced (XLR) inputs sound better than unbalanced (RCA). While there's always exceptions to every rule, I think it should sound better than the standard version.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 547
Yup, should be fine. Not a whole lot of difference, Pro stuff is built to handle a harsh atmosphere and push a lot of power, and Home Amps are built with more fines, and more suitable for home atmosphere, like quite fans, and perhaps more thought put into sound quality. But not a whole lot of difference. Oh and the connections and such too, like Stu pointed out.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1207
Ok cool. Thats what I thought as well but I wanted to make sure. Is it worthwhile to use RCA to XLR cables like ones from audioquest or just stick with RCA to the amp? The amp is supposed to be a monster, 600 wpc in 4 ohms!! The manual advises having a receptacle and power distribution rated for 1500 Watts! Thats insane. I wonder if that will be any different from my 60 wpc rotel.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 548
LOL should. That Carver is a nice amp Chris. Bob Carver is the MAN. His new company Sunfire make sweet stuff as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us