Pioneer VSX-D510 "Power Off" Error message

Bronze Member
Username: Iamdrumming

Post Number: 35
I did a search of the message board first, but didn't find an answer to my specific problem.

I have a Pioneer VSX-D510. I originally bought it in a "home theater in a box" package at Costco. It has done me very good for a few years, but recently when I turn it on now, it gives me the "Power Off" error message. It will turn on, then give me the message, then turn off by itself after about 2-3 seconds.

What is the cause/cure of the problem? I tried to google it, but the only thing that came up was a possible power supply issue. I am wondering if any other people have had the same error message with their Pioneer receiver.

As a sidenote, I figure the receiver is not worth repairing, and it is about 5 or so years old, so I bought another receiver tonight. It is a Pioneer, and the model is VSX-517-K. I would also like to hear some reviews from people who own the VSX-517-K.

Thanks!!
iamdrumming

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 328
Definitely not worth repairing.

The 517 is a good entry level receiver, depending on your needs/expectations.

I have the VSX-1016K and I quite like it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8810
Disconnect the speakers and try again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
First off, thanks for your replies! It is much appreciated.
Yes, I have disconnected all speakers (and every wire) from the receiver, unplugged it, and plugged it in to another outlet. It still gives the same "Power Off" message, then it turns off by itself. So, it really seems like a power supply issue, or something like that. I'm electronically challenged!
I am getting the VSX-517-K though. I know it is a enrty level receiver, but the price was right! And it is basically all I need. Just a receiver to watch movies again on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
K I have another problem!! :-)

On my old VSX D510, to hook up the speakers, you just needed about a 1/2 inch of bare wire, then pushed it into the speaker terminal, and clicked them down to hold the wires in place. I believe those kind of connectors are called click-fit.

I just got the VSX-517-K today, and it has these connectors that look way different. I think they are called banana plugs, or banana speaker terminals.

Now, with my old 510 you just pushed in the bare wire into the click-fit connectors, and clicked them down. It does not seems I can do the same with these new "banana" plugs. What do I need, or what do I need to connect my current speaker wires to my new VSX-517-K?

Thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 145
actually those kind of plugs are better than the clip type because it gives a tighter conection, and gives you more options for speaker wire size. just do the same thimg as you did with the spring type. when you twist the speaker terminal there will be a hole at the top were the speaker wire needs to go, just put the wire in there and your good to go. your manual will explain how everything works like that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Everything is hooked up and sounds good. Right now I'm playing a CD, and the display on the VSX-517-K says "PCM 88" What does that mean? I have never seen that before.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us