In search of amplification....suggestions?

Username: Hamrick

Post Number: 1
Hello all, thank you in advance for any insight you have to offer. I am just beginning to build a new two channel, music only, system. I am now shopping for the pre/amp combo, and will consider integrateds, however, I only have one hi-fi shop within about 75 miles. They have Bryston and Rotel. The Bryston products I really like, (4B SST especially) but would prefer to spend a little less. The Rotels I am just not to fond of. If I drive about 100 miles I have access to Anthem, Musical Fidelity, and Adcom. If anybody has any experience with these products give me your opinion. Is it worth the drive? If it is of any revelance to your thought process, the speakers are Paradigm Studio 60s.

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 84
Hey Jon,

I think its worth the extra drive the hear your other options.

A friend of mine has an Anthem tube amp which sounds pretty good in his setup, but lacks depth and detail when hooked up to mine (sounds quite bad actually). It's like there's missing alot of the music that I get from my own amplification. We were both thinking that my speakers do not mate well with it. We both had the feeling that the amp lacked the power to properly drive them. But I must say, in his system, it performs much better (his speakers are probably easier to drive). Worth a listen IMO with speakers that will mate well with them, but without listening, you'll never know.

Same friend use to have a Musical Fidelity A3 integrated which we've previously connected to his and my system. Some people don't like em, but I think it's more about your own preference in how you want your music to sound. It wasn't the most detailed we've ever connected, but it did have a very warm sound that was very nice and highly noticeable. Again, not for everybody.

Those two are very different from each other. If I were you, I would have a listen to them with your own speakers preferably along with the others you mentioned. I think you'd be looking more at what type of sound you prefer, more than which is better.

Just my 2 cents.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2120
"I think you'd be looking more at what type of sound you prefer, more than which is better."

Marc hit the nail on the head. Of the gear you mentioned, Rotel and Adcom can't compete with the rest. Then again, they don't try to either. I think its definitely worth the time to hear the others. Its not like you're spending $10 and if it doesn't work out, then so be it.

You stated you really liked the Bryston gear. Have you heard it with your speakers? I'm a big fan of your speakers, and Bryston complements them very well IMO.

Are you basing the prices on the 4BSST and pre-amp (BP-25?)? If so, the lower powered Bryston amps will drive your speakers without any problems. Actually, the 4BSST may even be overkill. The 2BSST will drive them more than adequitely. If the 2BSST and BP-25 combo is still a little too much, the B100 integrated amp will save you a few bucks (I think) and be just as powerfull and sound just as good IMO.

As a heads up, none of the other brands you mention sound like Bryston. They're very different. Not that one is right and one is wrong, just different flavors. Try to see if they'll let you demo the other brands in your home with your speakers.

Also, make sure you have a good source. If you're using a cheap CD or DVD player, it doesn't matter what you'll use to power the speakers.

Post Number: 2
Thank you Marc and Stu, for your input. Actually the Bryston setup I heard was my speakers, the 4B SST and the BP 6 preamp, no line conditioner and economy cables.

Post Number: 3
Oh yeah, and an older model Meridian CD transport and DAC. I don't recall the models, but it was "top of line" I am quite sure.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8815
JH, those meridian players are really very very good for my ears.
That trans/DAC might have fit well with the parts you described, Meridians will shine through any lesser gear pretty quickly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us