Am I asking for trouble?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8745
My dealer has an lp12 in his words 'incredible condition' in a rare wood finish which I cannot pronounce or spell.
The guy is just gushing.
I have to see it to know what arm is on it, he mentioned a name that I do not remember.

Is there a preffered arm for this table?

I know MW had to replace his cart or stylus a while back with a stock one, and the price seemed reasonable.

He wants 1800 for the tt.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11355

I sent you an email. Give me a call.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8751
Problem solved.

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 76
Did he tell you the secret?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8755
Yeah, Marc. The secret o' life is enjoying the passage of time.
And having a really old heavy tt shipped here from Texas.
I got Jan's old VPI table in the mail.

Just feed JV a coupla beers and voila!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8756
Wiley, are you listening?

Bronze Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 77
Nice. Very nice. Good on'ya JV.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 716
Nice! I bet that one worked out perfectly for everybody.

Congrats Nuck!!!

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 720
Hmmm,

I know Wiley is feeling lonesome so once again his asinine attempt to pirate a thread. This is getting more desperate by each attempt.

So one one hand, I think we should just completely ignore this town fool and delete all messages posted by him the moment we receive them, sort of like spam.

Then on the other hand I just want to respond to him in this manner;

Wiley, What are you talking about?

Once again what did your post have to do with anything here?

Who gives a sh!t what you have or how you got it?

This isn't about you. Actually I wonder if anything is about you. Done wondering, nope, nothing.

Good-bye.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 460
lol.
I really feel the love in this room. Love for all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8759
The VPI will work out in fairly good time, just to pick up an arm and read to death on setup.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 723
Nuck, Origin has tone arms. Hopefully this will be the first of a flood of recommendations for you.

Love you man.

There Nick, all better?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 492
I can't speak for Nick, but I feel worse than before.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 725
no love comin' your way stryvn.

now do you feel better?

now, 'bout dem der tonearm recs...

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 494
I sent two bottles of Knob Creek adressed to:

Jan Vigne
Dallas, Texas
USA

Nuck says it works.
We'll see how much love there is to go 'round.

Enjoy your tt, Nuck! Leave some vinyl available for me, huh?

Username: Sobeeatch

Post Number: 1
1800 is too much.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2103
Nuck,
I'm assuming this isn't a loaner table? For a tonearm, my first instinct would be a VPI tonearm. Obvious synergy and fit. Not cheap however But then again, its easily worth its price and then some.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74551

You really can't go wrong with a Rega tonearm either. More range in lower end price. There's a good reason why a lot of companies use and/or recommend Rega tonearms.

As far as a cartridge goes, I'm assuming you know my pick. It'll work well on any of the tonearms I mentioned.

Jan,
What are you using now or plan on going with?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8763
Thanks Stu.Jan used a Rega rb300 arm, and recommended that or a modded 250 arm, both come in at about 500, I think.
I gotta be shopping the used market here for one.

I think there was a spare cart in the box as well to get started.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8767
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/66335-mission_tonearm/

Would this be useful to me at all?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8768
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/60380-tonearm_adc_alt1_never_used/

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11363

Sure, you could use it as a spare. Like I said, Nuck, I'd stick with the AudioQuest PT5 or 6 which is an arm VPI likes. Or stay with the Rega or one of its modified variants. The armboard on the HW19 is drilled for a Rega. You can have another board drilled for any arm you like.

I don't know that I'd buy a VPI arm for this table. There is synergy between the current line of VPI arms and the current generation of VPI tables, not so much with the older HW19's. I also think it would be a toss up between which is the better arm when comparing the VPI JMW9 against an optioned out Rega. You're picking flavors at that point. Tweak the table before you dump big money into an arm. The heirarchy is table, then arm and then cartridge. Stick to that formula and you'll do fine.

I'm sticking with the Rega arm with the optional tinted windows and white sidewalls that I've added. What I'm hearing with the RB300 on the Scout is fine by me. The only problem being the RB300 needs a different mounting height for the Scout than the stock VPI arm. I've heard a fair number of unipivots and I like the generic sound of a unipivot - very fast impressions with lots of dynamic swings. But there are downsides to univpivots also and I'll be just as happy with the RB300 until way more disposable funds convice me otherwise.

Whatever you buy make certain you can get your money back out of it if you decide to upgrade. The Mission arm isn't it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8770
Super, thanks JV.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2106
I wonder how the Naim Aro tonearm would sound on the VPI. If either of you have a spare $3K or so, it should make for an interesting experiment.

All joking aside...

Nuck,
The RB-300 is $395 in the US. They just updated to the 301. My dealer loves the improvements. I haven't been able to nor would want to ask my dealer to demo them side by side on the same table (the rest of the P3 was also updated) for amusement purposes only. The dealer has done this, and thinks there's a big improvement.

Forget about saving a few bucks. The RB300 or 301 won't let you down. If you don't currently have the funds, wait a little while. Don't halfass it. Buy the right one and be done with it.

When you get bored with an RB-300, you can mod it yourself, or sell it - resale value is very strong.

Or you can save up and buy an RB-700, which is the stock arm on the P5.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11367

The Naim arm would probably sound less than terrific on a VPI. That arm is meant for a Linn and isn't going to find a synergistic partner in the far more massive and heavily damped VPI tables. It would be a better partner to a VPI than a VPI arm would suit a LP12, but that is simply arguing which problems do you want to live with the most.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2107
I was writing that, but deleted it because it was taking up too much space for a joke.

If I'm correct, the Aro was designed specifically for the LP12. The LP12's claim to fame is that its very light and bouncy. Rather than try to accomplish the impossibe task of completely killing off vibration, the LP12 welcomes it and tries to make everything vibrate in unison, thereby negating its effects.

An arm designed to be used on a lightweigh bouncy table most likely wouldn't sound very good on a heavy ridgid table. Relatively speaking, the arm would probably be all over the place.

Then again, stranger things have happened and worked out very well.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2377
Nuck,

If the HW19 has a Rega armboard, the new 301 and RB700 will not fit on it. The 301 and RB700 both use Rega's new 3-point mounting system instead of the old pillar-and-nut solution and you would need a new armboard from VPI for them.

If you want a Rega arm on steroids, you could do a lot worse than the Michell Tecnoarm. This is a drilled out RB300 with rewire and far better counterweight arrangement. It really boosts the performance of the arm a long way.

The ARO was originally designed for the LP12. It was also originally designed for the Troika. Many people have used it with many other cartridges and on many different record decks. I recently had the pleasure of putting one on a Michell Gyrodec with Michell's new ARO armboard and I must admit this combination was excellent - one of the best Gyro combinations I've had the pleasure of hearing (and I've heard a few).

AVID are a maker of good turntables and they have just developed a special 'sled' type mounting which effectively gives the ARO a SME-type fitting. It also allows you to adjust the ARO perfectly for geometry. The ARO only provides round holes in the headshell (designed for one cartridge) so it helps to be able to move it forward and back to get the geometry absolutely correct.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 736
Thanks Stu, now I know how I can succinctly describe my system and listening room...

"Then again, stranger things have happened and worked out very well."

Gold Member

Post Number: 8802
Thank you Frank. A Whole new lot of info to catch up on.
My thread may be curtailed a bit as funds are starting to bleed out for the wedding and a few auto annoyances.

I'm Jones'ing for a bit here.
Hate when that happens!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9622
Revisited. I have the vpi table and rb300 arm, but now need to find a cart for it, no timeframe.
I am using the HW19 player with a B/N 300 arm and need advise on which cart to add.
I will likely use the psAudio stage for the Classe. The vpi is using a rigid mounted plinth, and was mounted on the floor. A shelf mount is possible, but at this point, I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.10audio.com/psaud_gcph.htm

So my options are varied.
Where to go from here?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5986
Well Mr Nuck...you and I would likey want something different from our cartridge...I'd guess. If I had the scratch I'd opt for a higher end Dynavector, I love my 10x5 however my arm/table can handle a lot better...point being so can yours and you will have the phono stage to back it. A couple of options that I like are the Dynavector 20X or 17D3 also the Benz Micro Ace L or Glider....that's me...probably one of the best rock and roll cartridges I've heard is the Sumiko Blackbird...that's probably you.

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 189
Go for the Rock n Roll!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9623
dammit, I ask the people who know and it costs more money!!!
Thanks guys.
I was hoping for the 10x5 option...

But the table is aces all around.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12090

http://www.zuaudio.com/dl_103.htm

Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 6
I've heard one of the Morch unipivot tonearms on a HW19. If my memory serves me right, it was not their basic tonearm. The dealer in north Jersey had an A-T OC9 feeding a beautiful German tube preamp (name escapes me), Quicksilver monoblocks and Vandersteen 2Ce speakers. I've also heard SME V on HW19 and a TNT but I think that the Morch arm was more musically right and involving. The short-armed Clearaudio linear arm, Sumiko FT3 and SME IV also have mated well with the VPI. In my opinion, the HW19 is a great table that works well with most tonearms. I wish you luck in finding that ultimate synergistic combination that is better than the others.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9670
And I thank you very much for the post msgtpogi.
I had to check the spelling of your name here twice to get it right!
I now read it as Master Sargeant Pogi.Thats easier!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2408
If you've got a spare $750 burning a hole in your pocket, the Lyra Dorian is a great cartridge.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9671
Never heard of it Stu, I will look it up.
If the divorce lawyers leave me with anything, I will look into that one as well,LOL!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2657
Oh boy! I made a fatal mistake. I borrowed the ARO and put it on my Michell Orbe. I now have an ARO on order...

Bl00dy thing is bl00dy amazing. I've never heard anything better than my Mission Mechanic on a Michell and along comes the ARO arm and wallop! Out of the park. Even the wife said the ARO was MUCH better...after just two bars...of the first record...makes me weep...

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1079
hehehe

I am still enjoying my newly tuned with another new stylus Linn. I will not catch upgraditis, I will not said I to me, no I won't, just don't.

Why do I think this is how an addict feels?

That's is a wonderful development for you Frank!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us