Rainmaker vs X719

Bronze Member
Username: Eduardox

Post Number: 13
What would you rhink is a better match for Arcam A65 plus? The Totem or the USher Mainly jazz at lñow leel volume

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8742
Have you been able to try either, Ed?
I am gonna guess that is real low volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I have hearf the Rainmaker and loved the image ir creates. Only read about Usher

Gold Member

Post Number: 8749
Ed, you had best not listen to Audio Note speakers then.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I did a long comparision of the Rainmaker vs the Dream Catcher and ended up liking the DC over the RM

I think the bass is much more tighther in the DC

Any advise on how the X719 compares?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11379

"I did a long comparision of the Rainmaker vs the Dream Catcher and ended up liking the DC over the RM"

But you didn't buy it. Come on, EZ. Stop listening and asking our opinion. Buy something and start listening to music at home.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8814
ed, give us some impressions of how the music is conveyed to you.
And which music?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
B&W 805 i meant to say

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2381
Eduardo,

My initial feeling at the start of this thread was "an A65+ can't drive Rainmakers". The Rainmaker is the better speaker, but its requirements further up the chain are far greater. The Dreamcatcher is much easier to drive and so it's more likely that this is why you prefer the Dreamcatcher.

Of course, each speaker has a different voice so it's perfectly possible that you simply do prefer the presentation of the Dreamcatcher, but I sincerely doubt it.

The other Totem that may be worth a visit is the Mite. This is slightly larger than the Dreamcatcher and easier to drive so it may suit the A65+ best. That said, I've had very 50/50 results with the Mite from many demos so you may still prefer the Dreamcatcher.

In the same way as the Rainmaker, the B&W805 is well beyond the remit of the A65+. It's a very good speaker indeed, but needs better electronics to breathe properly and deliver its true performance.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8818
The 805's are usually demo'ed with Classe monoblocks.
Sorry, I usually heard the set up that way.
Too expensive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Frank:

Thanks a lot

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 340
Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread.

Totem Arros - easy or hard to drive (by Totem standards)?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2433
Middling. They're harder to drive than Dreamcatchers, Mites, Sttafs or Hawks, but easier to drive than Rainmaker (I think), Model-1, Mani-2, Winds and Shamans.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 343
Thanks Frank.

Would a NAD C272 be gutsy enough to drive them?

I auditioned them at my local shop, but they were driven with a Bryston 4B SST (I believe). That's a little out of my price range for the time being.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5436
Actually I think the Rainmaker is easier to drive.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2435
Art,

I struggled with the Rainmaker. Eventually I decided that the Arro is the easier to drive based on an experience I had when I moved up from an Avi integrated to a Naim 202/200 and the difference showed that the Rainmaker had been stifled whereas I knew the Arro would not have shown that difference and would have still been well driven in either case.

David, I haven't tried the 272 myself but the paper specifications would indicate that it should be able to drive them all day easily enough. I haven't heard the combination for myself so I cannot endorse it as a good combination.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5443
I really wasn't sure it just seemed that the Rainmaker can reach it's potential with less current than the Arro's, in either case they both require an amp that will bring it, so to speak.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2169
How would you guys say the Rainmakers compare to the Arros? I haven't heard them. Do they have the same imaging, tonalty, and speed?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5446
The Arro's when driven and setup properly have a 3 dimensional soundstage that is world class as well as very good imaging. They don't get particularly loud and don't play deep bass but what does come out of them is pretty amazing. The Rainmaker loses some of the magic of the Arro's soundstage and imaging and trades them in on a beefier sound, more bass and can rock. Don't get me wrong they still do a very good job at the audiophiile qualities that I mentioned, they just can't do the kind of disappearing act that the Arro's can.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2170
Interesting. Thanks Art. Funny thing is, a lot of people and reviewers say the Arros aren't a good rock speaker. My experience tells me otherwise. They're lightning quick, tanally accurate, can be very dynamic when set up right and played at an appropriate volume, and while somewhat restricted in depth, the bass is tuneful and very tight. How do those qualities not equal playing rock music the right way?

The first time I heard them was one of the few times I was awe-struck by audio gear. I didn't know anything about them before that. The first two tracks were "The Great Gig in the Sky" followed by "Time."

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5448
I think that the problem with reviewers is that they tend to put all rock in one box. A lot of speakers that rock quite nicely don't do metal well or ones that are ideal for metal may not be the best for another sub genre. Then there are speakers that do most everything well...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8906
Right Art.
Stu, while Floyd is played on classic rock stations, and we hold the band close to our hearts(some anyhow), it ain't AC/DC, right?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 805
"Then there are speakers that do most everything well..."

Anthony Gallo Ref. 3.1a's with Gallo sub-amp.

Also Nuck, picked up the 3 disc Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" today.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8927
Rainmaker vs X719 folks, for Ed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us