Canuck buying power

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8717
So, as the Loonie is worth a bunch(in relative terms) hows about the retailers here give us a break?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8718
Knowing that retailers/importers have a year long price in place, it cannot be more than 6 months to see some breaks, as the Buck was gaining 6 months ago.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11341

And then the Fed cut rates. The "buck" is a bit punier now.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 432
I would say we will see that 24 percent average price drop in our consumer prices just in time for my birthday. February. My wishes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8722
Happy Birthday Nick.
Don't go blue in the face waiting...

The local dealer that I called for the B&W 635's said no discount, 1400$ either way.
He fuggured the import fees and duties accounted for the increased cost over the buck.
I asked him if the US had to pay the same fees(the speakers come from China) and he didn't know.
Well, shite! Do the Chinese not import direct to here?
I know their people do, straight into Vancouver.

Point being, we have to import from the US to here, and pay shipping, duties, yadda yadda.
Fukc, we ain't at the end of the world, ya know?!?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8723
That said, the state of New York buys more new cars than all of Canada, so I'll shut up, Foghorn Leghorn, like.

Bronze Member
Username: Hank_hill

Post Number: 15
There's no question you're saving anywhere from 30 to 100%+ by buying in the States(even with shipping + duties). The only thing you lose is the warranty. Pretty easy decision in my mind.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11342

Hellyes! If you can save 100%+, they'll be paying you to take it off their hands.

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
"Well, shite! Do the Chinese not import direct to here?
I know their people do, straight into Vancouver."

LOL so true, so true.

I'm going to Watertown to buy the Rega Apollo.lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Hank_hill

Post Number: 16

quote:

Hellyes! If you can save 100%+, they'll be paying you to take it off their hands

Ha Ha, Indeed! I didn't phrase that very well...I meant the Canadian price is 30-100%+ of the U.S price.

Hank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
100 percent? We should just start buying off ebay.LOL. Nuck, Jan, Check out this deal.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Bryston-4B-Amplifier-250-WPC-8-ohm-400-4-ohm_W0QQitemZ1901550 50552QQihZ009QQcategoryZ39783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 8731
Right in St Kit's.
Nice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
Yeah, 800 bucks. There is also a matching pre-amp on there somewhere for 400. 1200 bucks for a Two channel Bryston setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8732
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/bryston_4b_st.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 440
If only I could talk my lady into letting me spend my money on it.lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8737
Add the cost of a weekend away and that's the final bill.

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
LOL!!! True. I could bribe her a weekend getaway. Has this worked before? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
Perhaps a weekend away to Watertown, where I can then pick up the Apollo. Oh Nuck your brilliant my man.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 489
It costs more when you have to use the ice road truckers to get it to your door, guys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8747
Brilliant is a stretch, and more matches the sound of my kit in the open, bare room downstairs, but thanks anyhow.
Stryvn, I have the trained polar bear deliver the goods. 'Will work for fish'

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2373
With the dollar so weak, I'd be surprised if prices didn't go up!

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 135
The strong loonie cuts both ways; now I understand why you folks are so fanatically audio inclined-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070928/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_dollar_marijuana

Gold Member

Post Number: 8787
Frank, the US buck(le) has helped ours through
the roof. 60% in 5 years.
Most of our stuff is in USD. Time for a break.
Unless we pay in grass, it seems.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2152
I see that the Canadian dollar dropped to US$1.04, but it's still up there. Since the prices haven't dropped here, a friend of mine ordered a receiver from ecost.com. Unfortunately most US sites don't ship to Canada.

It's funny that prices go up immediately for any random reason, but take forever to drop because of the large inventory. It seems that even new models have a 6-month inventory to clear out before the price can go down. ;-)}

Silver Member

Post Number: 699
lol yup. There was a thing on the news about how Canadian companies are bringing the next shipment of stock over at the low US prices. Meaning the prices should drop soon if the dollar stays the way it has been. Today I see it is at 1.07 again. Crazy.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1228
I just saved $650 on a set of tires buying in the states, the dollar may be the same, but the pricing sure isn't.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11740

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071114/culture_currency.html?.v=2

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 134
Nice tires Kano.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9212
The facts of the depressed US dollar are pretty much unknown to Joe sixpack. As is the newfound value of the Loonie, excepting for the press and outrage that follows it along.
The price rage here in the GWN is finally palpable.

Americans don't see the dollar drop at Walmart or the grocery store, maybe the gas pumps, but that is a shared woe.

The low greenback has little influence on everyday living in the worlds largest consumer market, as the volume of goods purchased neglect the interest of the nation in where the goods come from.

Canada is a bit different, as the national growing season and climate limit our domestic oranges, mangoes and bananas.
But hey, we got coal, wood and OIL coming out our toques!
But we also have a despotic, money-sucking gov't, that taxes and tariffs every item I win on Ebay, and everything that comes into the country, nevermind that there are no domestic alternatives.
We also have a 60% trading partner that is protectionist, repels all goods from here with it's own tariffs and embargos, in a vain atemps to promt inefficient production in their own sectors.
Well now he table urn, and US wood producers are having a heyday, running full speed, while Nuck wood guys cant sell a free lunch. Sounds fair, right? Cept'n the US owes Nuck wood guys 6BILLION in unfair tariffs charged when US importers liked our stiff wood. The World Trade Commission said so, 15 times!
But no refund for protectionists.

How about a cheap stereo that is NOT shipped here from the US?
Hows about straight from China or Japan?

Ohh, but we is just a drop in the bucket, and poor red-haired cousins...

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 137
Thanks for getting that off my chest Nuck! I feel better now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
lol well said Nuck.

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 19
A salesman told me today that Denon has dropped the price on all their products due to the high value of the dollar. I myself haven't looked into it much, although for my budget he did say that I could get the AVR-2308, while I was expecting the 1708 to be my top end option. So maybe...

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 148
"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times..."

A country that consumes without producing is destined to implode. A falling dollar is a harbinger of that malaise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us